Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo results with 2011 boxer 2.0-liter engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Turbo results with 2011 boxer 2.0-liter engine?

Ok, so now we know that the new car will be coming out 2011 and lets say the latest 2012. The PR person said that 2011 so we shall assume this is correct. We do know that the 2.0 boxer engine is the engine which will be put out. With that said, can set setup a compare/contrast post between our tc's 2005-2009 setups compared to the 2.0 boxer setup. Exactly what can Toyota/Subaru do right/wrong with this new engine choice? I am expecting with this thread we can get some pure facts in answer to the edmunds post:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=143008

Incase the above link does not work, here is a picture of the txt:
http://www.detailedhosting.com/users...fe/edmunds.jpg

Please keep the post free of clutter. There are a ton of people on this forum that will have a lot of solid facts to comment on the, good/bad, path of the new tC - or shall we say new tC successor. Top turbo builders please shine through. I know you guys have the facts because they have been displayed throughout the last 3 years of the tC's evolution. thanks,
Old 03-02-2009, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

interesting...
Old 03-02-2009, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is true but toyota has potponed the debut due to slumping economy. It is supposed to be a rwd scion for toyotas line up and a all wheel drive setup for subaru. i wish i can post the link from the weekly newsletter here at work but dont want to get fired. By the way guys i work for corporate offices of toyota. also its supposed to be priced under 25,000.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ very good news. There are 05's and 06' which are due to be upgraded and 25k is surely the budget. Corporate info is great. If you know of any other public information please talk on the subject. We don't want you to get introuble but we do want public info so we can keep from buying a new car. With the car prices comming lower I need something to make me hold off another year (and I sure would like to stick with a nice brand new, updated, scion/toyta). But what are the expectations? 411 please turbo/engine guys.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
^ very good news. There are 05's and 06' which are due to be upgraded and 25k is surely the budget. Corporate info is great. If you know of any other public information please talk on the subject. We don't want you to get introuble but we do want public info so we can keep from buying a new car. With the car prices comming lower I need something to make me hold off another year (and I sure would like to stick with a nice brand new, updated, scion/toyta). But what are the expectations? 411 please turbo/engine guys.

Not good news actually. They put a cease fire on the project. No telling when it's going to come out of if it ever will. I will be sad if it does not, cause I already have it in my purchase plans.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ as of todays link, they haven't. Rhythmnsmoke, talk on the engines, FI and Non-FI, I know you have good info.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Your right, I just noticed the post date. Makes me happy again...hehee. I so am ready for this car, and will be saving up to basically buy it out right off the lot. Granted it meets my aesthetic taste.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of having the Suby power plant in our tC successor is........Cobb Tuning. Now we have expanded our horizons to include some of the great Evo and Sti tuners out there.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

wOoo Hoo!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of having the Suby power plant in our tC successor is........Cobb Tuning. Now we have expanded our horizons to include some of the great Evo and Sti tuners out there.
that is exactly what I was thinking. Ya, the date is today. It made my day because within a year I will surely buy it off the lot if it looks good. I am worried a tad because the subie version I doubt will be my taste ...but the toyota has a very good chance it will be nice. I say this because subaru will come out with their model which will look like a subaru and toyota a toyota. Im surely a toyota person over a subaru. Now with the engine, I see some desired power that can be released from the boxer engine. It has evolved already and a lot of the specs can come directly from past subaru/porsche lines. I just wonder how much will be like subaru. Toyota likes to keep secret like the FBI about their tuning and really giving the public what they want .... thats not really like toyota. Or did the whole scion line spark long term drivers that will stay with toyota if they give the goods desired ..... I think they might just do or shall I say, have already done so.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Well I'll keep my eyes peeled too... unless the styling and power just does it for me and knocks my socks off...I'll be keeping my 08 and continue to mod. lol. I would like to see some of the details of how they plan on keeping RWD power on a tC platform on the ground. With the current setup of FWD we have the advantage of having several hunderd pounds in weight (engine/trans) directly over the drive wheels. So Im interested to see how they address this issue for the new co-op venture.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to be honest with you i would rather it all be toyota. the subbie is cool but because of the way the motor is designed and the pistons moving horizontal and not vertical it tends to put stress on the bottom sides of the piston, witch in the long run causes the bores to ovalize. or at least that was the case in my buddies sti and he claims that it is a known problem once you start making power on them. a turboed 2az would be tight from the factory running a rwd set up this comes out the year i graduate from college. so it might be my next purchase.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

^^ well maybe your buddy or Subbie should consult with Porsche lol. They've been building horizontally opposed engines for decades. And I saw a 911 turbo that was massaged by Calloway, Inc. and got on the Autobahn at night to test it out...and it ran up to and over 220 mph. in a horizontally opposed 6. Its all in the details of whether or not a particular design works well or not.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well from what has already been leaked out is it will come in two trims n/a and turbo. the numbers for the n/a are ??? and the turbo it is said to produce 250+ . what is supposed to stand out from these models is not the horse power but the way the suspension is made its supposed to be more advanced to match or exceed the sti all wheel drive but in a rearwheel drive platform. the platform is already made the engines are their and the design is their also. currently their are 5 already made. two are located in the US and three are in Japan. All five vehicles are kept top secret and have only been viewed by selected execs.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or not.
http://jalopnik.com/tag/toyota-subar...ar/?id=5160787
Old 03-02-2009, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hudnut

Pay attention to the date of the article. This is an older article, unlike the one posted above.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mouse
Well I'll keep my eyes peeled too... unless the styling and power just does it for me and knocks my socks off...I'll be keeping my 08 and continue to mod. lol. I would like to see some of the details of how they plan on keeping RWD power on a tC platform on the ground. With the current setup of FWD we have the advantage of having several hunderd pounds in weight (engine/trans) directly over the drive wheels. So Im interested to see how they address this issue for the new co-op venture.

Simple physics though. When you launch a car, weight transfers to the rear of the vehicle. What my intentions for the car is though, does not require my rear tires to stay in grip the whole time...
Old 03-02-2009, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

watching
Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by scikotictc232
to be honest with you i would rather it all be toyota. the subbie is cool but because of the way the motor is designed and the pistons moving horizontal and not vertical it tends to put stress on the bottom sides of the piston, witch in the long run causes the bores to ovalize. or at least that was the case in my buddies sti and he claims that it is a known problem once you start making power on them. a turboed 2az would be tight from the factory running a rwd set up this comes out the year i graduate from college. so it might be my next purchase.

I believe it would cost Toyota exponentially from what we gathered from one of the shows that a few of our club members were invited to by Scion corp. In order for them to do a RWD platform, they would have to make a production line or something to that effect. And a line build cost. So, I think this joint effort has something to do with that as well.

If anything, I look at it this way too. Imagine thinking of dropping a 2jz in it (granted it fits). But it will be a lot easier to drop it into an already RWD configuration.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok i understand were your coming from i didnt take a while to think about it. so now i wonder if this car is going to have an engine bay that is more crammed and harder to work on than our tc's. look at the engine bay of an sti or wrx. ( added this pic since most of scionlife that buys this will mod it.) also i wonder how much the car will weight.

Quick Reply: Turbo results with 2011 boxer 2.0-liter engine?