Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo results with 2011 boxer 2.0-liter engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it would be cool though and i definetly will be interested in buying since my tc will be close to five years old and its already payed off. so i can save up some cash. id most likely wait a year to buy one since you never know what problems it will have when it comes out or what they will upgrade from it. either way it gives me some time. does anyone know if its going to be the same motor that subbie produces right now or wether they are going to go with something new ?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Sounds like its going to be the same engine, the 2.0L boxer engine that has done nothing but wonders for them. My real question still stands though, how will it perform turbo'd? From a 250-280hp platform it sounds like it could be great. I could see a 200hp NA come out with a 260hp turbo. But engine wise, does the boxer engine lack in anything becides bottom piston ware?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by scikotictc232
it would be cool though and i definetly will be interested in buying since my tc will be close to five years old and its already payed off. so i can save up some cash. id most likely wait a year to buy one since you never know what problems it will have when it comes out or what they will upgrade from it. either way it gives me some time. does anyone know if its going to be the same motor that subbie produces right now or wether they are going to go with something new ?

My thoughts as well. Going to wait till a second coming happens.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wasnt there an issue with the first 05 motors for the scion being weaker ? then they upgraded internally in 07 ? or late 06 ? im sure we can expect a few minor mishaps. still worth it though. does anyone know when we will hear more from this ?
Old 03-03-2009, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

wasnt there an issue with the first 05 motors for the scion being weaker ? then they upgraded internally in 07 ? or late 06 ? im sure we can expect a few minor mishaps. still worth it though. does anyone know when we will hear more from this ?

They are not motors designed by Toyota though.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Originally Posted by Mouse
Well I'll keep my eyes peeled too... unless the styling and power just does it for me and knocks my socks off...I'll be keeping my 08 and continue to mod. lol. I would like to see some of the details of how they plan on keeping RWD power on a tC platform on the ground. With the current setup of FWD we have the advantage of having several hunderd pounds in weight (engine/trans) directly over the drive wheels. So Im interested to see how they address this issue for the new co-op venture.

Simple physics though. When you launch a car, weight transfers to the rear of the vehicle. What my intentions for the car is though, does not require my rear tires to stay in grip the whole time...
um ok?.... are you referring to drifting? or? because if you're launching in a straight line I would think you would want to keep the grip.... with drifting being the exception to that rule of course
Old 03-03-2009, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Well I'll keep my eyes peeled too... unless the styling and power just does it for me and knocks my socks off...I'll be keeping my 08 and continue to mod. lol. I would like to see some of the details of how they plan on keeping RWD power on a tC platform on the ground. With the current setup of FWD we have the advantage of having several hunderd pounds in weight (engine/trans) directly over the drive wheels. So Im interested to see how they address this issue for the new co-op venture.

Simple physics though. When you launch a car, weight transfers to the rear of the vehicle. What my intentions for the car is though, does not require my rear tires to stay in grip the whole time...
um ok?.... are you referring to drifting? or? because if you're launching in a straight line I would think you would want to keep the grip.... with drifting being the exception to that rule of course

First part, I was referring to drag (weight transfers to the rear of the car, squatting over the rear aids in grip). The later part yes, I was referring to drifting. I'm a drifter at heart. That's the WHOLE reason I bought a 350z...lol.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

ill have to talk to my tuner about the subi engines and see what their take on it is......all iv ever really seen is subi's on magazines making monster power but hey if it doesnt work out throw a 2az in it...lol
Old 03-03-2009, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by jsingh
interesting...
X2
Old 03-03-2009, 04:52 AM
SL Member

great news, watching!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

bump for dezods reply
Old 03-03-2009, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok i understand were your coming from i didnt take a while to think about it. so now i wonder if this car is going to have an engine bay that is more crammed and harder to work on than our tc's. look at the engine bay of an sti or wrx. ( added this pic since most of scionlife that buys this will mod it.) also i wonder how much the car will weight.

i worked at a suby dealership for 4 years as a tech,and i can tell you they are VERY EASY to work on,even more so when you learn a few tricks.and the turbo suby motors are pretty damn stout as well
Old 03-03-2009, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

transmission ? subbie or yota ? caause i know for a fact the wrx tranny is crap. my cussins is on its second tranny in his 03 wrx.stripped one of the gears at the track the third time he went.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Watching.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

maybe this will be the link when there is more info:

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/coupe/2011/review.html
Old 03-03-2009, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Toyota's largest contribution to the mix will be product planning and quality control. The Toyota model, still to be named, will most like be sold exclusively in Japan, while the Subaru-badged model will be marketed worldwide.

I heard that from someone else as well. If they do that, they are shooting themselves in the foot, and are not giving US buyers much credit.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Oh boy - for sure they are shooting themself in the food. Toyota guys are not subaru guys so they are totally going to loose out in market value.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Toyota's largest contribution to the mix will be product planning and quality control. The Toyota model, still to be named, will most like be sold exclusively in Japan, while the Subaru-badged model will be marketed worldwide.

I heard that from someone else as well. If they do that, they are shooting themselves in the foot, and are not giving US buyers much credit.
I think that's the reason why it keeps going back and forth as to whether it will happen or not. Judging from the hype over the Genesis coupe and Nissan unleashing the 370Z, it forces Toyota's hand to release the RWD in the U.S. What I don't think will ever happen is Subie selling the AWD variant in the U.S. for fear it will kill WRX sales.

Also, I don't think we're going to see the turbo here either... which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It brings down the price point, and the aftermarket is going to produce kits anyway, so it could be win-win if the price is right.

And for you Initial D fans: anyone notice where they're building it?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats ___. our crap economy probably will prevent this from happening here in the us. i hate how we miss out on bad A$$ cars. in japan on the other hand everyone and their grandmas are rollin boosted..
Old 03-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

I think this would be an good platform to work with. We'd definitely be in the market for modding the hell out of it. LOL

Quick Reply: Turbo results with 2011 boxer 2.0-liter engine?