Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo Stalling problem - PLEASE help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member

Default Turbo Stalling problem - PLEASE help!

I installed my turbo back in early May, and had ZERO problems, except for the occasional stalling (which I blamed on the atmospheric blow-off valve), but the other day my cheap ___ autozone coupler (It was a last minute purchase - I'm usually not that stupid.) that connects my intake to my turbo cracked and my intake became partially disconnected. The MAF sensor was having trouble detecting airflow, so the car kept dying. I fixed the problem last night, and at the same time fixed my boost gauge, because the nylon hose popped out of the t-fitting again. I fixed my boost gauge, and fixed the intake. Everything looks fine now. But the stalling has gotten worse - literally, I can't come to a complete stop anymore without the car dying. If it doesn't die, it idles so ridiculously rough (jumps from 300rpms-700rpms until it finally corrects itself, which usually takes 30-45 seconds). Not to mention, when I get on it and start to hit boost, I notice the sound changes from it's normal noise to a high pitched air-leak sound. But everything is fastened tightly.

So my question is - wtf is the problem? All vacuum lines are intact, oil pressure is normal, and all the couplers are securely fastened. I was told that if you run a basic turbo setup like mine and the compressor seal is compromised, you can run a lot of oil into the intake manifold, causing spark plug fouling. I haven't check it yet, but I will. If anyone has any clue, please help me out - I'm leaving for Houston tomorrow morning, so time is a factor. I appreciate it, guys.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would triple check all hoses, couplers, and intake piping for leaks and maybe try and use a small amount of soapy water to help find any leaks. Also check to make sure the MAF sensor is not leaking and is plugged in correctly. The next thing I would do is reset the ECU and clear out all the fuel trims. Next I would check the intake piping for oil. Just remove it and see if there is a coating of oil and while I would be doing this, I would be extra careful when I put the piping back to make sure there were no leaks.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

whats your air fuel ratio when your car is at idle?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was going to say reset the ecu. I had a 2.5 intake pipe, running fine. the new one was 3, reset ecu, bogged down all the time. after running for 20min or so, it learned itself and stopped bogging down.
What management you using?
Old 07-28-2007, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I would think the ECU reset would do just fine.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:51 AM
5 Year Member

I reset my ECU tonight but haven't run the car yet.

I don't know my AFR - no gauge yet.
I don't have any fuel management yet either.

I know I need both eventually, but the car ran fine without either. Next on the shopping list is the emanage, so hopefully that will fix the problem permanently.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Def. want to go pick up an AFR gauge as soon as you can. Let us know how the car runs now that you've reset the ECU.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It'll run like crap for the first 20 min or so. Just keep running it at different throttles positions.