Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

turbo timer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default turbo timer?

is a turbo timer really worth the money/good investment if you have a turbo?
Old 04-09-2006, 04:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Of course it is!!!

It helps prolong the life of your turbo. After driving for a while it is very good to let your engine run at idle for at least 30 secs so that you give it a chance to cool. The turbo timer just eliminates you having to sit in your car and wait. I love it on my car. Now i just have to get a better alarm that will set itself after the timer turns off!

To me its well worth the investment!
Old 04-09-2006, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BigPinoyTC
Of course it is!!!

It helps prolong the life of your turbo. After driving for a while it is very good to let your engine run at idle for at least 30 secs so that you give it a chance to cool. The turbo timer just eliminates you having to sit in your car and wait. I love it on my car. Now i just have to get a better alarm that will set itself after the timer turns off!

To me its well worth the investment!
how the hell does 30sec make a difference on cooling the turbo/engine, its still going to be hot, i think. ok, so when your turbo timer turns off your turbo/engine, you still need to be by your car in order for you to lock up your car, and go away, right??...and thats when you said you need a better alarm to set itself-->like locks up the car automatically and turns on the alarm??

So, how does it cool down your engine, what makes it cool down?? OR is there a pressure thats needed to be realeased, prior to turning the engine off ??? what else can you say about this line of question??
Old 04-09-2006, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how the hell does 30sec make a difference on cooling the turbo/engine, its still going to be hot, i think. ok, so when your turbo timer turns off your turbo/engine, you still need to be by your car in order for you to lock up your car, and go away, right??...and thats when you said you need a better alarm to set itself-->like locks up the car automatically and turns on the alarm??

So, how does it cool down your engine, what makes it cool down?? OR is there a pressure thats needed to be realeased, prior to turning the engine off ??? what else can you say about this line of question??
The air cools and the oil runs off your hot rotor blades rather than frying on them. Its a simple procedure that will save you thousands of $. I had 185,000 on my turbo Saab 900 when I traded it and the only thing ever done to it was normal: change the oil, battery, brakes, etc. I waited 60 seconds. It became routine. If 60 seconds isn't doable, then you probably need to take a hard look at your lifestyle.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about when cold-starting your car, do you have to wait 60sec before driving off ??
Old 04-09-2006, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCing_U
How about when cold-starting your car, do you have to wait 60sec before driving off ??
I always did just to to ensure that the blades had plenty of oil on them. Friction & heat are not your friend. I'm certainly no expert, but I've had several turbos and none ever malfunctioned. Of course, that was a few years ago and technology may have made it a moot point. I would suggest researching the subject and get as much information and opinions as possible.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

a turbo timer is a great investmant.

I have the greddy tt. It's set for 1:30. You can also wire in the speed sensor. It will figure out on its on how long to stay runing.

Or you can just sit in your car for a min and let it cool down.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
KAD
SL Member

what turbo timer is the favorite? GReddy/HKS? also how hard is the installation? similar to an emanage (as far as wiring goes)?
Old 04-09-2006, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

which is the favorite is up to you personally a friend on mine has the greddy it looks great and he got the speed harness so it varies times of how long to idle depending on how hard the car was driven. A turbo times is a very very improtant component for aftermarket turbos. After driving your car in boost the turbo is very hot when you park and just turn your car off the oil thats left there just cooks onto the turbo very similar to what tons of sludge would do to your engine. Unless you want to be rebuilding/changing your turbo after only a short life you better wait for it to cool down or invest in a turbo timer.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont understand how you let the turbo engine idle for a minute or two so it cools down. Cuz when the engine is idling/running, the turbo is also working, and so the oil is in there hot as well --> how is that cooling it down when its still running, hot??? Im thinking i can park my car in the garage, pop the hood, and blow a fan in there, lol...hows that sound?!!
Old 04-10-2006, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Click this link below, its all about turbo maintenance

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=113709
Also, read what paul_dezod says thruought the topic, the guy knows his $h!t

and then read this post its about why turbo timers/start up/shut off is crucial

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...474198#1474198

Happy Reading...use the search button next time
Old 04-10-2006, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey thanks for your guys advice and im getting the HKS Type 1 turbo timer
Old 04-10-2006, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The extra idling time of the engine allows the turbo to cool down gradually. Rapid cooling after the engine shuts down, especially when the oil stops running through the tubo, is what causes problems when you have a higher milage turbo.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone know if Greddy has a harness for us yet?
Old 05-09-2006, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 318_tC
Anyone know if Greddy has a harness for us yet?
no one does. its not THAT hard to wire it yourself.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where is the location of the ignition harness? under steering wheel? what do I need to access it?
Old 05-20-2006, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

according to kenny from zpi who i asked about the turbo timer issue, he said they are pointless unless you are ******* on your car hard for a while, then it wouldnt hurt to let it run oil through it. it may prolong the life of your turbo a little bit, but not much.. at higher boost levels and hotter exhaust (race cars) its necessary, but not on a 10psi tc. like i said, this is according to zpi. i have a timer built into my alarm, but i dont use it. i dont dog on my car and rarely hit wot.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

pollup
PostPosted: 5/19/06 6:56PM Post subject:
according to kenny from zpi who i asked about the turbo timer issue, he said they are pointless unless you are ******* on your car hard for a while, then it wouldnt hurt to let it run oil through it. it may prolong the life of your turbo a little bit, but not much.. at higher boost levels and hotter exhaust (race cars) its necessary, but not on a 10psi tc. like i said, this is according to zpi. i have a timer built into my alarm, but i dont use it. i dont dog on my car and rarely hit wot.

Not what i heard. I have the hks type 1 tt and i think its great and tt's help alot btw. It actually is a great investment. Most people who have turbo's usually have tt's.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just quoting zpi. i dont think kenny would steer me wrong, the guy is unbelievably knowledgable on turbos and especially on the tc
Old 05-20-2006, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you use an auto timer, it will automatically shorten the length of idle time to as low as 10 seconds, which is virtually nothing. I use the Apexi TT. My settings are 3n1 which is actually the default auto mode. (You need to tell it to switch to auto mode instead of the default 30 second delay).

Wiring is very easy. I used 4 wires. A constant (Red on the tC ignition harness), a switched +12V (Blue on the tC ignition harness), a remote wire to power the radio/acc while it's idling (small grey wire on same ignition harness), and a ground, which I simply bolted straight to the chassis. Takes about 20 minutes to install. You can use yellow wire taps for the two larger wire splices (Red and Blue), and a blue wire tap for the Acc wire (Grey). Hope that helps!

BTW - Regardless of boost, if you drive it on the highway for a long period of time at let's say 80mph, you definately want to give the car a chance to idle down. The TT will see this an automatically figure out how much it needs. On my Civic it approached just around 3 minutes before. That was running that car at about 8psi on a T3/T04E.

Quick Reply: turbo timer?