Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

turbo timer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I too have the HKS Type-1 turbo timer. And let me tell you, it's a very handy and sweet little unit for the price. The car is set to 30sec. before shutdown. You can set it to auto, so that it will calculate how long to stay on before shutting the car off, based off of how hard you drive it.

I think where the confusion is, is that it's not the ENGINE that needs to cool down, it's the TURBINE that needs to slow down/cool down. The turbine spins at like some ungodly RPM #. Like 18,000RPM's when you drive on it. As you come to stop to get out, the turbo should be alowed to slow down before turning off the car. When you allow it to slow down/cool down, you help to prevent the oil from cooking on the turbo. If you just shut it off after a hard run, over time, the oil would build up, therefore wearing out the turbine.

And just for another clarification, you do NOT have to stand next to your car to lock your doors after the TT shuts off. If you MANUALLY pull open the lever, and then push your lock back MANUALLY, your doors would stay locked. Found this out not to long ago.

Other Features that come in handy besides prolonging turboines are:

RPM Warning indicator(Basically you turn your TT into a shift light, because it will flash red, and emit a beep when you reach that RPM)
0-60mph time measurement
60 foot time measurement
1/8th mile time measurement
1/4th mile time measurement

It also has a speed indicator with Warning indicator, so that when you reach a certain speed, it will flash red, and emit a beep.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no there was no confusion on whats its for, i was just quoting what i was told, that it was unncessary on low boost cars unless your ******* on it. waste of money was the exact words.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well if you have a boosted car, most likely your going to be beating on it and racing other cars...so why not get one..
Old 05-20-2006, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zer0
Well if you have a boosted car, most likely your going to be beating on it and racing other cars...so why not get one..
unfortunately such is not true with me. i barely hit wot, and actually i barely boost. love the bov! lol
Old 05-20-2006, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pollup
unfortunately such is not true with me. i barely hit wot, and actually i barely boost. love the bov! lol
So then you dont need a TT!
If your like Travis and racing everyweekend. Its a good safety tool for him to have. Definately not a waste of money.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by pollup
So then you dont need a TT!
If your like Travis and racing everyweekend. Its a good safety tool for him to have. Definately not a waste of money.

Indeed. Misti and I race quite often. Besides, it only costed $109 dollars, so it's not like some big whopping waste of money. Pocket change.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
I think where the confusion is, is that it's not the ENGINE that needs to cool down, it's the TURBINE that needs to slow down/cool down. The turbine spins at like some ungodly RPM #. Like 18,000RPM's when you drive on it.
Most turbos can actually hit upwards of 80,000-150,000 rpms . That explaines the HIGH hear and need for cooling. Just throwin this number out there for ya!

Happy boosting,
Old 05-21-2006, 07:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
I think where the confusion is, is that it's not the ENGINE that needs to cool down, it's the TURBINE that needs to slow down/cool down. The turbine spins at like some ungodly RPM #. Like 18,000RPM's when you drive on it.
Most turbos can actually hit upwards of 80,000-150,000 rpms . That explaines the HIGH hear and need for cooling. Just throwin this number out there for ya!

Happy boosting,

Yeah, I knew it was some unGODLY number.