Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TURBO TOYOTAS EXTREME TUNE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how so?
Old 04-12-2008, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well here is the thing, and dont take this as an insult in any way.

I recall you saying that you were going to stick with the unichip because you didnt want to spend any more money....fair enough.

It dies...what do you do? You jump on an ultimate because one tuner seemed to like it. Once again...fair enough.

Than you justify not purchasing other units on your budget, but at the same time you are quick to toss out a turbo that you KNOW works well with the setup and go a completely new route?

Just doesn't make much sense to me, especially on your DD to swap chargers before you even have one setup dialed in.

Again, I am not trying to put down any of your decision making, just trying to get an idea of where your head is. I would worry about a good tune on your setup to see what it can do before tossing money at unnecessary parts.

Give me a call when you get a minute.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In regards to the engine management, I go with what my tuner is comfortable with and the Ultimate by any means isn't going to harm my car and is an upgrade from my unichip for sure. I know you and a lot of other people push the FIC because you guys are confident with it, however I am fell more comfortable with the Ultimate for now and that is why I am going with it. I would put my comfort beyond anything else right now and I am not completely comfortable with the idea of street tuning my car with an FIC.

As far as the turbo goes, what I have understood is that the GT3076r is a great turbo for higher displacement engines or lower displacement engines running a lot of boost. I am running very little boost for the turbo and it seems a bit much for my application. This is why I made that other post in this forum (yet to be replied to) about if the tC owners think it is too big for what I am looking for. I know the gt3076r makes some great top end power, but I would really like to use my power and not be sitting and waiting for it to spool.

I would tune it up now and see how it does if I had the finances too. I honestly didn't have the money for the unichip and am ridiculously in debt because of the complications with the turbo kit.

Tell me that the gt30 fits my application and i will consider keeping it. I am looking for input here but this is a grey area with so many aspects of my build different from what other tC's have had.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That setup is by no means too much for your application, essentially its ideal for what you are trying to accomplish if you plan on retaining that manifold.

As far as the emanage, thats cool. I understand why you are doing it, but you are making it seem like that is your only option. Thats cool that you went to your tuner and thats what he likes, but i dont know man. I am just providing you with some insight. I am a firm believer of you tune your car the way you use it. If its your DD, tune it on the street.

At this point, i think you should talk to Todd and work something out before you start tossing money in the barrel.

If you need anything give me a call and i will help you to the best of my ability, but im not going to sit here and type chapters in any direction. I could sit here and give you 110 reasons why you had to pay additional for complications with the kit.

Most of that could have been avoided had the kit been installed by a decent shop.
At the end of the day, thats what happens when you have too much money and not enough time for the build. People take advantage, and it seems like thats where a ton of your complications came from.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bfurches
Most of that could have been avoided had the kit been installed by a decent shop.
At the end of the day, thats what happens when you have too much money and not enough time for the build. People take advantage, and it seems like thats where a ton of your complications came from.
nah turned out to just be incompetence straight up. I got one shop I can trust now and that's pretty much it. I know you are a firm believer in tuning it for how you are using it, but I know it's stupid, but I am just not comfortable with a street tune.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alex-

Give your setup a chance. there is no need to change turbos....

And if you did the only way to go is to a Gt3071R, as its the smallest turbo thats fit that turbine housing you have.

You need to listen to those who have an idea of what they are talking about...

If whoever saw your setup and understood how it worked they would not tell you a Gt3076R is too big. Even if it wasn't a divided setup.

You have the most efficient setup there is.....between your IC, the manifold design, and that turbo(as long as the specs are right, god knows what Greddy put in there)

Again...see how it does you might be suprised.

You have gone down a long/hard road to this point, no need to make it any harder.

regards-

Todd
Old 04-12-2008, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ugh todd its a garrett turbo... specs are as follows:

Compressor: 76.2mm / Trim: 56 / A/R:0.60
Turbine: Wheel Diameter: 60mm / Trim:84
Wastegate: External Required
Corrected Air Flow: 50 lbs/min
Old 04-12-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

UPS sucks i work for em and they blow! u wouldnt imagine how they treat packages!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nebster
you're right the emanage basic does but the emanage ultimate is a very different beast. the F/IC is on the same level as the unichip where they just modify the MAF readings. the ultimate with a pressure sensor will be superb for alex's application.
I wouldn't consider the F/IC and unichip on the same level... For price out of all piggybacks, I would say the F/IC is the best choice hands down... just my opinion. The F/IC doesn't just modify MAF readings, it can, but what you really should do with the F/IC is clamp your maf values while driving it around n/a, that way your cpu doesn't see any higher voltages than normal. Then, just tune off boost by way of its built in MAP sensor (you have to pay extra for that for the GReddy). It also has a O2 spoof and fools the cpu into thinking the a/f's are stoich, when they are not. That means no CEL (if tuned properly)... which you can't do with any other piggyback...

have your read this?
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...hlight=aem+fic

or this?
http://www.dezod.com/files/FICvsEMAN.pdf

I do want to see some great numbers, and I also agree that the gt3076r is not too big at all for your setup, thats what I will be running. There has been people to run a gt35 on the stock motor, so the gt30 shouldn't be a problem... plus we do have quite a bit of displacement for a 4 cylinder, so there wouldn't be much waiting time for spool... just my .02 good luck with your project! Car looks great!
Old 04-12-2008, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you're comparing it to the emanage basic, the ultimate does more than the basic and with all the add ons alex got it was a better value. the 3076 isn't to big turbo wise and flow wise it was too big PHYSICALLY, it was hitting a part of his engine.

with everything alex got the ultimate was a no brainer plus his tuner likes it so who cares.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldnt consider it a "no brainer"....
Old 04-12-2008, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

that turbo hitting part of the engine was fixed right? clocking the turbo fixed mine, we have a different manifold but i think the position is the same
Old 04-13-2008, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you would be amazed how many people dont know that the seperate turbo side housings can spin

....ever see a honda kid try to bolt on a garret?
Old 04-13-2008, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bfurches
....ever see a honda kid try to bolt on a garret?
lol it was like a monkey trying to put a key in a lock.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you're comparing it to the emanage basic, the ultimate does more than the basic and with all the add ons alex got it was a better value. the 3076 isn't to big turbo wise and flow wise it was too big PHYSICALLY, it was hitting a part of his engine.

with everything alex got the ultimate was a no brainer plus his tuner likes it so who cares.
it compares both... read further and you will see that the ultimate does what the basic does, it modifies the signal going to the ecu. This means that stock ecu could override the inputs and boom you are running lean or your timing isn't adjusted anymore. Plus what about partial throttle boost tuning, can that be done with the Ultimate? no... According to dezod the Ultimate, like the basic, keeps your values only about 60% of the time... doesn't sound too safe for me.

But I do agree that there hasn't been that many tc's that have messed up from the ultimate, and if the tuner is happy with it then that is all that matters.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

again... I will let the dyno graphs speak for themselves... if my AFRs and my powerband looks ____ty... I will be the first person say so.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by t_urbo_C_harged

it compares both... read further and you will see that the ultimate does what the basic does, it modifies the signal going to the ecu. This means that stock ecu could override the inputs and boom you are running lean or your timing isn't adjusted anymore. Plus what about partial throttle boost tuning, can that be done with the Ultimate? no... According to dezod the Ultimate, like the basic, keeps your values only about 60% of the time... doesn't sound too safe for me.

That's why you buy a GReddy Pressure Sensor.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

which is what I have...

My tuner was saying there was a way of building new maps that do actually keep the values. I don't know to be honest. I will keep you guys posted with the end results!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The best way to tune the eManage is to alter the ignition and the injector maps. Not the MAF maps.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

alex when we goin back?

Quick Reply: TURBO TOYOTAS EXTREME TUNE!