Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo Toyotas: Jacksonville Style!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by java09
nice matt!! And about you afr gauge it a not hooked up, go under your car and make sure the clip is in and not hanging there! Sweet deal though. Ohhh and your boost spike isn't normal.... Hmmm umma look into that but I've never had that. Enjoy the boost andpay attention to that boost gauge.
yeah i'm gonna do that after dinner.. i'll also watch my boost when i take her out tonight. what sort of things does a spike like that indicate? any bad parts in particular, or just the need for a boost controller?
Old 01-11-2008, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

mine never did that when i was running of wastegate pressure.. the only thing i can think of off the top of my head is the wastegate spring itself. i havent had a chance to read into it. when i get home ill let you know what i find. other than that just watch the boost gauge and even if you hit 10 its not like its all that bad but if you see 16 or something yeah not so good!
Old 01-11-2008, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

wow ive been reading this for like a month, well good luck with it man, im dying to get boost but wow all this stuff worries me
Old 01-11-2008, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

no need to worry its all a part of boosting but in the end it was a fuse that stopped it from starting not a blown motor..
Old 01-11-2008, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

lol a fuse
Old 01-11-2008, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by java09
no need to worry its all a part of boosting but in the end it was a fuse that stopped it from starting not a blown motor..
yeah.. always start with the basics if you know the intermediates are covered... never go into the hard first lol
Old 01-11-2008, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

yes sir, and dave it wasnt only the fuse if they would have found the fuse then it still wouldnt have started until they changed the maf direction.. and thats where we came in!! word.. I have a question though........

WHERES MY COOKIES??????????????????????????
Old 01-11-2008, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

yea my damn cookie too, ill pm you my addy, i like chocolate chip but it better be soft and mush btch!
Old 01-11-2008, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC
yea my damn cookie too, ill pm you my addy, i like chocolate chip but it better be soft and mush btch!
lol
Old 01-11-2008, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

whoa whoa. watch it buddy
Old 01-11-2008, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

awesome....now you guys are gonna have to wait til early summer til TT:South Jersey Stylee comes out!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ok so i took her out for another quick city/highway drive just now and i have a few more observations.

1. there's still a quiet, variable pitch whistle going on. it's annoying.

2. boost didn't go past 7 this time... i'll continue watching it.

3. in all honesty, the car's power is sporadic. i dunno if it's my fuel map (MATT!!!) or another issue, but the car feels fast in boost up to about 4750rpms, at which point boost stays constant, but there's a very, very dramatic loss of power... we're talking like at first the torque puts you back in the seat,, and once this power loss occurs you actually lurch forward. its VERY odd. i'm not sure what to make of it, since i still have boost but the power seems to just disappear and return to stock; almost like a fuel-cutoffish type thing. needless to say, with this happening i would get destroyed profanely by any evo or sti on the road... probably even a Z with the way my power disappears.. that's how bad it is. it literally feels like at 4750 (this was in third gear) the stock engine just reappears.

4. i do have a CEL. i'll be checking the codes tomorrow.

5. seriously, the car doesn't feel like it has 300whp. even if you take the power drop of point #3 out of the equation, i still wouldn't believe that i'm pushing 300 wheel.. i have no clue what i'd guess instead, but something more around the mid 200s probably.. then again, i've never driven a car with 300hp, so i can't really say if my butt dyno is accurate or not. let's just say i was expecting more. of course traction, tune, possible leaks, and other power-limiting factors are probably at work. i know the potential's there! i just have to get to it.

6. i'll be checking my wideband gauge tomorrow to make sure it's plugged in.

i'm still just happy my car drives and is quite a bit faster than before. not to mention the BOV sounds sick as HELL! responses to the above points are not just welcome; they are encouraged!
Old 01-11-2008, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"i'm still just happy my car drives and is quite a bit faster than before. not to mention the BOV sounds sick as HELL! responses to the above points are not just welcome; they are encouraged!"

smart man...knows when to ask for help from the right people
Old 01-11-2008, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey matt, i will have to hit you up at one of the sonics on sunday or a tuesday soon. i'll buy you a cookie dough blast for your troubles (laughing at everyone talking about their cookies), oh and the girl scouts just visited me earlier tonight for me to buy some choc chip and thin mints .

Just please get it tuned and every nut and bolt tightened asap!!!! only then will you see the actual gains.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by simplyred
hey matt, i will have to hit you up at one of the sonics on sunday or a tuesday soon. i'll buy you a cookie dough blast for your troubles (laughing at everyone talking about their cookies), oh and the girl scouts just visited me earlier tonight for me to buy some choc chip and thin mints .

Just please get it tuned and every nut and bolt tightened asap!!!! only then will you see the actual gains.
haha! do you get to jax from gainesville much?

yeah, i'll get it tuned in a bit.. i have a couple other base maps to try out first
Old 01-11-2008, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, the lurch if from your map. If your wideband was working, you would see it going full rich, like 10, and dumping all taht fuel is cutting out yoru engine. Mine does thast sometimse so I gotta pull some fuel.

And the reason why your not feeling 300whp is cause your dropping off at 4750. Your not gonna his max power till 5500 or 6K, so if you could get there in full boost, you'd feel 300whp.

I'm so glad your up and running. Your still gonna have a few things to take care of for the next week or so i'm sure, but enjoy it

oh....and HAPPY BOOSTDAY!
Old 01-11-2008, 11:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
OK, the lurch if from your map. If your wideband was working, you would see it going full rich, like 10, and dumping all taht fuel is cutting out yoru engine. Mine does thast sometimse so I gotta pull some fuel.

And the reason why your not feeling 300whp is cause your dropping off at 4750. Your not gonna his max power till 5500 or 6K, so if you could get there in full boost, you'd feel 300whp.

I'm so glad your up and running. Your still gonna have a few things to take care of for the next week or so i'm sure, but enjoy it

makes sense! thanks phil! yeah for the next few days or so i'll just be working out little things and making little adjustments.. but once everything's good to go completely, it'll be awesome
Old 01-11-2008, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, and where are the pics?
Old 01-11-2008, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just get tuned and that drop-off should go away. Glad your up and running. I can't believe I didn't think about the IGN fuse! That EXACT thing happenend to me!
Old 01-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by jaxtcracer
Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty

makes sense! thanks phil! yeah for the next few days or so i'll just be working out little things and making little adjustments.. but once everything's good to go completely, it'll be awesome
Theoretical:
Remember this also if your to rich and you pull fuel to get to say 11.5 AFR at WOT, you also can run less timing( I don't know what your ignition map looks like) at that AFR because flame speed is highest there! If your AFR at WOT was say around 12.2 you wouldn't pull as much timing to make good power. There is slower flame speed ( how fast the mixture burns down the cylinder) at 12.2, but u probably wont be at that AFR cause we use extra fuel to prevent knock.

Quick Reply: Turbo Toyotas: Jacksonville Style!