Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbochargers and Information

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Turbochargers and Information

I have been doing a lot of research lately, and have been doing all of the conversions on turbobygarrett.com's site. However, what is figured up to fit perfect on paper may not actually work in the real-world. I thought we should start a thread stating what turbo you are using (be very specific, include all of the information you can), rpm you hit full boost, setup (i.e. log vs. EL, size exhaust, etc.) and hp #'s (dyno sheet if possible). I went through and figured from the site that a GT2876R (way bigger than the GT28RS disco for those not knowing) would be best for my needs/wants. I would get it along with the TiAL SS v-band housing.

Please post up your thoughts, experiences, and the specs of your setup.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

t3/t4b stage 5 wheel .60 A/R compressor housing .82 A/R turbine housing
TurboToyotas simple turbo kit
38mm tial wastegate
Log manifold

reach 8psi boost @ 3400 rpm's

notes: bit laggy but packed a great punch

id have more info but i cant find more datalogs on my 11psi runs
Old 08-30-2009, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ ya damn a .82 ar on a stock block? what the... lol
Old 08-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

i wasnt planing on staying stock though
Old 08-30-2009, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my setup gt3076r .82 housing el mani 3 inch exhaust 8-12 pounds i get a little boost creep spools very fast if you throw a downshift it just goes takes a second or two in lower rpms but you can make 360ftp and 340 hp on 8-12 pounds on e85 and it sounds mean 4 inch intake and its a bb turbo
Old 08-31-2009, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

TT el manifold, gt3076r w/ 0.63 a/r full 3" exhaust, filter on turbo ftw spools fast, i never launch lower than 4k rpms so im not sure how fast full boost from 1k rpm
Old 08-31-2009, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll post my info come sept 16th
Old 08-31-2009, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well look! I am looking to get the GT2876r, doesn't have quite the top end of a GT3076r but is rated between 280 - 480 hp and has better spool time. Also, according to my calculations, I will be plenty safe from the surge line and at the same time shouldn't go near the choke line either. I plan on running a .86 A/R Turbine as well. Sound good? If anyone has done this and/or wants to look at mine, I can post them up. I calculated for 350 flywheel hp.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sc6265 .82 hot side... spools like never.. but with some break boosting its pretty retarted!

raped a gsxr750 today
Old 08-31-2009, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by t_urbo_C_harged
Well look! I am looking to get the GT2876r, doesn't have quite the top end of a GT3076r but is rated between 280 - 480 hp and has better spool time. Also, according to my calculations, I will be plenty safe from the surge line and at the same time shouldn't go near the choke line either. I plan on running a .86 A/R Turbine as well. Sound good? If anyone has done this and/or wants to look at mine, I can post them up. I calculated for 350 flywheel hp.
you are good to go with that setup.. just curious whats your application on this autocross and some low to medium revving power?
Old 08-31-2009, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
you are good to go with that setup.. just curious whats your application on this autocross and some low to medium revving power?
I want a good spool, and power all the way through the power band. I don't want to wait and have it spool late and be practically uncontrollable, but at the same time I don't want something too small (such as the 16g or the GT28RS disco) and have it run out of steam on the top end. I am asking because I am curious as to if this is the turbo/setup for me. The GT3071r looks pretty good too, but I imagine the GT2876r is more efficient and has better spool = better low end. At the same time, getting a .86 A/R turbine will give me more top end power, because I will have more flow essentially. I also can't believe that this GT2876r turbo is what the WRC turbo is based off of in a way. Check this out! If it is a similar efficient setup to that, then I am sold. I heard the only difference was that the gt28 turbine wheel is smaller.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/rdmtsjr/R5YvXiD...0R_Catalog.jpg

I know I know, I have been researching too much. But I want a turbo that can do everything I want now, and be able to give me more power (450ish) in the future. I figured the turbo I listed mated with a TiAL housing would be about perfect.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:09 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

nothing wrong with research brethren, nothing wrong with it at all!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Yup research ftw! good you are doing your homework..

your turbo of choice would work im sure..
Some thoughts here..
1. a/r size would be a greater factor with lag than turbine size to some extent.. your .86 a/r gt28 might not create a much faster boost response as you would think as 0.63 a/r gt30. the difference on a gt28 frame is the turbine wheel primarily, you chose a smaller turbine for a faster boost response but you are using a large a/r on the hotside which is a biggy factor on lag.

2. When racing you really dont need to worry about lag, street race, rolling race or drag racing.. you will always start on a high rpm that means your turbo is already spooled as you dump the gas.. if its just on the street yeah a faster spool would be fun, switch to higher gears early and still get fast response early on low rpms

not talking you out of the gt2876, just giving my input., I would love to see one running this.. and yeah this would work as what your research have led you
Old 08-31-2009, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

watching... will post info once parts are in and installed
Old 08-31-2009, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i disagree with ur decision. i would advise nobody to go larger than a .63 exhaust housing if they only plan on running 8-12 psi or even with stock block in that matter. No sense in waiting for the spool if your below 350whp anyway.. u need that ____ to move as fast as possible lol. if ur staying stock block and plan on running 10-14 psi safely without damaging anything get the gt2876 with a .63 and ull fall inlove with great response and spool characteristics and a good topend coming from a pure bolt on turbo kit with no other engine mods. As saying a .82 for better top end, the fact is the .63 and the .82 are barely going to change any pace below 130 for us. our cars arent even geared for top end anyway so whats the big deal there.

Honestly there is no turbo really that you can get that will be beneficial to both 300+ whp and one to get you to 450+whp. the gt28 will be to small at 450whp and youll start choking i believe, and youll need alot more boost to get to 450. A gt30 would be a better bet with a .63 housing, then it will be decent spool while ur stock motor and when u get built in the future its a quick spool with good top end. Another turbo you should check into is a Garret 60-1. Elevation TC ran a 12.4 with this turbo STOCK MOTOR. he made 363whp on 14psi with it. I have this turbo now in my car, its a .70 compressor, .63 exhaust with a stage 5 wheel. Spool is great and the top end is really nice. Perfect turbo for both applications. Its good for 500+whp aswell. This one is cheaper than the gt30.

Last edited by SoFloTC; 08-31-2009 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
Yup research ftw! good you are doing your homework..

your turbo of choice would work im sure..
Some thoughts here..
1. a/r size would be a greater factor with lag than turbine size to some extent.. your .86 a/r gt28 might not create a much faster boost response as you would think as 0.63 a/r gt30. the difference on a gt28 frame is the turbine wheel primarily, you chose a smaller turbine for a faster boost response but you are using a large a/r on the hotside which is a biggy factor on lag.

2. When racing you really dont need to worry about lag, street race, rolling race or drag racing.. you will always start on a high rpm that means your turbo is already spooled as you dump the gas.. if its just on the street yeah a faster spool would be fun, switch to higher gears early and still get fast response early on low rpms

not talking you out of the gt2876, just giving my input., I would love to see one running this.. and yeah this would work as what your research have led you
I see what you are saying, and the way I worded it may have sounded different but is essentially what your saying I think. Larger A/R = less velocity = more lag. The wheel size should compensate some, and this turbo compared to a larger turbo with the same A/R should have quicker spool time. I would choose .86 over the .64 as our engines seem fine spooling pretty large turbo's so I don't think that A/R jump would affect anything negatively. I am still researching/studying so I am not an expert by any means, but by looking at the flow charts and doing the conversions, it helps in narrowing turbo choices down for sure. Anyone should be able to do those conversions, they aren't difficult.

The only thing that made me turn away from a gt3076r was that my calculations put me real close to the surge line at a lower RPM (4k) and didn't want to risk that as I could damage the turbo prematurely or worse. What are your thoughts?
Old 08-31-2009, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want a turbo to do it all, you need a supercharger lol. I DONT recommend getting one but deciding which type of boost you want. If you want daily drivability fun at partial throttle boost and quick spools, then go smaller but if you want a 1/4 mile beast or highway king, then go bigger. There are a few turbos that meet somewhere in the middle there is always some sort of sacrifice. I personally run a tiny little .43 BB T-Netics setup but it's a blast on the street. I won't be winning any high HP awards but I love it and that's all that matters to me
Old 08-31-2009, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually the turbo in our T'netics kit is a .48 A/R exhaust housing with a Stage 2 wheel.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

yeah what we all are saying it pretty much in same boat just looking from different directions. But what I was saying though you chose a smaller frame turbo to get faster spool but then as you chose a higher ar for higher top end, it cancels out some of the faster spool you were after to some extent.. yes most likely you will still spool sooner the a .60 gt30 but difference might just be negligible.

The only thing that made me turn away from a gt3076r was that my calculations put me real close to the surge line at a lower RPM (4k) and didn't want to risk that as I could damage the turbo prematurely or worse. What are your thoughts?
As far surge I never had problems with surging with my gt30 nor heard anyone having surging issues with it, as long as you get a good bov i dont think its gonna be a problem. But then it comes down to your applications and which powerband you usually use to get you close surge area on the compressor map. So thats some good stuff doing some calculations based on your setup.. Maybe you plot your setup based on your calculation on a compressor map between 2 possible turbo options, im sure that would be a lot of help for those trying to choose their turbo.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:20 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

I have been doing a lot of research lately, and have been doing all of the conversions on turbobygarrett.com's site. However, what is figured up to fit perfect on paper may not actually work in the real-world. I thought we should start a thread stating what turbo you are using (be very specific, include all of the information you can), rpm you hit full boost, setup (i.e. log vs. EL, size exhaust, etc.) and hp #'s (dyno sheet if possible). I went through and figured from the site that a GT2876R (way bigger than the GT28RS disco for those not knowing) would be best for my needs/wants. I would get it along with the TiAL SS v-band housing.

Please post up your thoughts, experiences, and the specs of your setup.
What design manifold are you planning to run Steve?

I have done plenty of different turbos on this app. Everything from 28RS to 67mm turbos. If you want to discuss options and feedback via email, please feel free to do so: paul@dezod.com

Quick Reply: Turbochargers and Information