Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo'd Mazda RX8?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've never seen so much poor information on one thread in my life.

The lack of maturity in some of these posts is why so many educated members have stopped coming here. It's a shame because many less educated people are missing out on some great help.

Rythmn, a couple stupid posts by you once again...
It's been proven with at least 3 dynos on tCs making over 300whp on 8psi with turbos that are fully spooled in the low 3000rpm range. Stop making stupid statements when you have no facts to back it up, and public information can prove you wrong.

The RX-8 took a horrible rap by you guys here. Are you just comparing who's the fastest in a straight line? Is that all you ever plan on doing with your cars?

Put a lightly modded NON-turbo RX-8 on a track, then a turbo tC with comparable suspension mods. The RX-8 will destroy a tC. The 50/50 weight balance, broad powerband, enormous brakes, among other things make it a very comparable race car.

I just had the Dezod Race event this past weekend. My Non-turbo RX-8 ran a 1:13.88 seconds. An M3 ran 1:14.22. 3 other RX8s ran a time within 1 second of mine. Two tCs raced. One did the track in 1:19, the other in 1:29. I know some of it comes to the driver ability, but average numbers don't lie. An RX-8 is superior on a road course if you compare apples to apples.

The tC is a great car though, and will always put you in the seat harder, especially if you boost it. I agree the tC is a blast to drive and can run with some of the faster cars out there. My RX-8 has just an intake, cat-back, and Greddy coilovers. To be able to beat M3s, some porche's, Hondas, the Nissan Zs (by an avg of 3-5 seconds for all RX-8s vs 350zs), with a car that costs only 17k with navi used is a great deal to me.

The obvious weak points are poor fuel economy (my modded 8 gets 18mph), oil consumption, and end all reliability. Most 4 cylinders go over 100k miles, and there have been a few RX-8s making it over 100k already. You NEED to take care of the RX-8 maintenance or it could fail. It doesn't burn oil because it doesn't run right. It burns oil because an OMP system PUMPS oil into the combustion chamber to lubricate the apex seals. This makes the motor last much longer than the older 13B motors.

Sorry I jumped in but I think the RX-8 got bashed by a lot of people that haven't really ever pushed BOTH a turbo tC and a modded RX-8. On the highway, my tC would kill an RX-8. On a race track, my RX-8 would have killed my tC.

I think I'm one of the only ones on here that has had both for a long period of time, and have pushed both cars to their absolute limits.

Let me know if you have questions about how either compare, and I will be happy to give an unbiased opinion. I like both cars, but for different reasons.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yeah there's no such thing as a Renesis powered RX-8 making over 500whp. It's never been done from what I've seen. Now there are 20b swapped RX-8s making great numbers. Oh yeah they beat most of the Porsche cup cars in the recent race events

SpeedSource FTW haha
Old 06-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

the 13b in the RX-8s are to high compression to boost...... they always blow apex seals so forget boosting a Renesis sir its very hard to get right
Old 06-02-2008, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is indeed a sensitive motor. Many people do not even understand what spark plugs go where, or how to tune the motor. It's been proven that 330whp is a safe number to boost up to. You need premium gas, and a great tune.

Some, including a few supercharged RX-8s, make up to about 380-390whp, but it's not recommended for daily street driving.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

20B ftw > 13B and Renesis.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
It is indeed a sensitive motor. Many people do not even understand what spark plugs go where, or how to tune the motor. It's been proven that 330whp is a safe number to boost up to. You need premium gas, and a great tune.

Some, including a few supercharged RX-8s, make up to about 380-390whp, but it's not recommended for daily street driving.
now correct me if I am wrong but one would think that the 330whp of a boosted rotory engine would be comparable to a piston engine making 500whp(<---exageration here)
because of the mechanical efficiency is greater in the rotory only having 3 moving parts... as opposed to a piston engine
Old 06-02-2008, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a old friend got a rx8 in 06 he loved it he got the gredy kit for it it runs nice when it runs the car is a blast to drive and handled great still not as fun as a stock miata as the rx8 feels like a much bigger car and nothing like a drop top doing some laps hearing what tire is squeling feling the wind in your hair the rx8 is capable but like said in prev posts 20b 3 rotor for the win lol
Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is more efficient mechanically but the number you see for the power rating is indeed the final product.

What makes a rotary faster than some gas engines on a track is the power band. Chances are a rotary with 170 ft-lbs of torque will out run most gas engines making upwards of over 200 ft-lbs with ease. The Mazda has a power band that pulls pretty well from 4k all the way to 9000. The engine is capable of reving up to 9500 but the power output diminishes, in addition to the engine heating up more than it needs to.

I think rotary should be respected for a few different things. Piston* engines definitely give you more torque. Rotary cars are just a blast to drive and the sound they make is the most enjoyable noise I've had on any of my cars.

* - Edit
Old 06-02-2008, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Supra FTW lol Good info Joe. I love torque, and there is nothing better than the feelin of having you head hit the seat and stay there till the redline ( well, maybe the G pull on a track). I love the way RX-8 look with a drop and some clean rims. Now I know this has been beat to death but are you sure scionkid that the "M5" you raced was real. Coulda been a poser with M badges.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

It is more efficient mechanically but the number you see for the power rating is indeed the final product.

What makes a rotary faster than some gas engines on a track is the power band. Chances are a rotary with 170 ft-lbs of torque will out run most gas engines making upwards of over 200 ft-lbs with ease. The Mazda has a power band that pulls pretty well from 4k all the way to 9000. The engine is capable of reving up to 9500 but the power output diminishes, in addition to the engine heating up more than it needs to.

I think rotary should be respected for a few different things. Gas engines definitely give you more torque. Rotary cars are just a blast to drive and the sound they make is the most enjoyable noise I've had on any of my cars.

Thanks for the insight Joe...... I hope you continue to post your knowledge.... I am currently studying mechanical engineering and want to get into the automotive aftermarket in R&D.... I love the tech aspects of motors and want to learn as much as possible.... so please consider those of us who dont make stupid posts and want your knowledge!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll do my best to stick around as much as possible. I'm in over 10 forums now so things get hectic sometimes lol.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm interested in the 2009 BMW 135i and adding the Dinan software to it. EASY 400WHP with exhaust and stuff. The 588WHP RX8 is not a joke tho. Not sure if he is on any forums, I will have to ask him. He is always keeping it to himself about his car, doesn't really talk about it much. I'll talk to him and see if he is a member on any forums.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

The lack of maturity in some of these posts is why so many educated members have stopped coming here. It's a shame because many less educated people are missing out on some great help.

It's been proven with at least 3 dynos on tCs making over 300whp on 8psi with turbos that are fully spooled in the low 3000rpm range. Stop making stupid statements when you have no facts to back it up, and public information can prove you wrong.

Who the hell you calling stupid? I don't give a rats **** about a couple of tC's on some inflated dyno making 300whp on 8 PSI. It's a load of BS when there are like 50+ making between 250 - 260whp at 8 PSI. Don't make a difference anyway. I can give a damn about a device that should only be used for tunning purpose and not trying to bench race or brag with it.

Sounds like you are the one that's stupid for buying a slow **** POS RX8.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:54 AM
Scikotics
SL Member

I have a buddy who works at Autoscope-motorsports in dallas and he tunes the Dinan software and anything else you can think of for German cars, heard nothing but good things about it .... I hope to be grass roots in autoscopes new R&D program
Old 06-03-2008, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bryan06tC
I have a buddy who works at Autoscope-motorsports in dallas and he tunes the Dinan software and anything else you can think of for German cars, heard nothing but good things about it .... I hope to be grass roots in autoscopes new R&D program
That's awesome man, it will be awhile before I get it. Doesn't void your warranty right?
Old 06-03-2008, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

Who the hell you calling stupid? I don't give a rats **** about a couple of tC's on some inflated dyno making 300whp on 8 PSI. It's a load of BS when there are like 50+ making between 250 - 260whp at 8 PSI. Don't make a difference anyway. I can give a damn about a device that should only be used for tunning purpose and not trying to bench race or brag with it.
OMG, you truly are a dumbass. You can EASILY make 300WHP or over at 8 psi. Mr. Meaty did. It ALL depends on elevation, tuning, manifold, piping size, and simply the turbo itself. Put a GT40 in it, 8 lbs will knock your ___ into the back.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 20tCDude05

OMG, you truly are a dumbass. You can EASILY make 300WHP or over at 8 psi. Mr. Meaty did. It ALL depends on elevation, tuning, manifold, piping size, and simply the turbo itself. Put a GT40 in it, 8 lbs will knock your butt into the back.

OMG....WOW...ONE Freakin car...yeah. Shut up already. Didn't I just say a few pages back if you put a big enough turbo on it of course it will make that on 8 PSI...
Old 06-03-2008, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Put a lightly modded NON-turbo RX-8 on a track, then a turbo tC with comparable suspension mods. The RX-8 will destroy a tC. The 50/50 weight balance, broad powerband, enormous brakes, among other things make it a very comparable race car.

I just had the Dezod Race event this past weekend. My Non-turbo RX-8 ran a 1:13.88 seconds. An M3 ran 1:14.22. 3 other RX8s ran a time within 1 second of mine. Two tCs raced. One did the track in 1:19, the other in 1:29. I know some of it comes to the driver ability, but average numbers don't lie. An RX-8 is superior on a road course if you compare apples to apples.

The tC is a great car though, and will always put you in the seat harder, especially if you boost it. I agree the tC is a blast to drive and can run with some of the faster cars out there. My RX-8 has just an intake, cat-back, and Greddy coilovers. To be able to beat M3s, some porche's, Hondas, the Nissan Zs (by an avg of 3-5 seconds for all RX-8s vs 350zs), with a car that costs only 17k with navi used is a great deal to me.

So you have Upgrade suspension on an already great handling car, and want to compare your track times against tC's that probably had nothing but springs on it....yeah that's apples to apples.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, just go race someone and come home gleefully like a little girl and post up on your "kills" that you "didn't have" your camera with you since that's what you always do Mr. Fast and the Furious.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you have Upgrade suspension on an already great handling car, and want to compare your track times against tC's that probably had nothing but springs on it....yeah that's apples to apples.
There will always be a better upgrade than OEM unless you have a Supercar like a Ferrari or a Lamborghini.

Just because it already comes with great handling doesn't mean it can't be improved.

Quick Reply: Turbo'd Mazda RX8?