Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbokits.com "Custom Kit"

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Angry Turbokits.com "Custom Kit"

I purchased my T-Netics kit through them and have no compaints. However, my friend just did the same but they apparently can't get their hands on the "kit" anymore so they decided to charge the same money for an "in-house fabricated equivalent". He recently got the kit in (after waiting over a month) and the BOV and WG are both knock off brands. It had no instructions, there were no washers to be found anywhere, the BOV is NOT recirculated like the T-Netics setup, it requires you to remove your metal bumper to get the intercooler in (unsafe as hell), and clearances are astonshingly terrible. The compressor housing touches the transmission, the WG is entirely too close to the radiator (less than an inch), and my biggest problem with the kit (assembly weighs approx 50 lbs) is there is absolutely NO SUPPORT BRACKET for the downpipe to the block! All of the weight is resting on the factory studs on the head! Another big issue is the turbo they supplied is not even the watercooled version like the kit comes with (and what he asked for). The turbo is the only T-Netics part in the whole kit! All the IC piping is in house fabricated and really heavy. They didn't supply an air filter for the piping, you must use your factory airbox! These guys are ridiculous for even proposing the idea of something like this. Am I wrong for advising him to fight any kind of charges including restocking fees??? I told him to get a shipping label from them and give them everything back for a full refund and take his business elsewhere.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would not accept that for the money he paid... They prob used his car as a test bed for a turbo kit they wish to produce and raped him on the price. Either way send it back or take him to court
Old 08-02-2009, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

there are a couple of points id like to add something to...

well first most kits dont come with anykind of support brackets for turbo, mani, downpipe, or anything like that...(thats just a general statement, cause some kit makers do have brackets)

If your friend didnt agree with this kit swap then id jump down their throats about it.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The weight of this setup is ridiculous. I've held bigger turbo's attached to bigger downpipes with equal length manifolds that felt way lighter than this...
Old 08-02-2009, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by youngflyer
Either way send it back and take him to court
Sounds better that way.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

id be in court already, thats called fraud? they are pretending that they sent u a turbonetics, do you know how much trouble they are in if u go to court? u could get all ur money back and keep w.e they gave u easily.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:45 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by youngflyer
I would not accept that for the money he paid... They prob used his car as a test bed for a turbo kit they wish to produce and raped him on the price. Either way send it back or take him to court
I totally agree with ^ on that one... only way I'd say it would be cool if a company did up a custom fab setup for someone instead of what they ordered..... would be if they were going out of their way to give the customer something better than what they originally ordered b/c they couldnt get their hands on the ordered brand anymore. NOT try to screw the customer by giving them some cheap knock-off crap.
1. do NOT send back what they shipped yet. (gives the buyer leverage)
2. state to the company to provide what the customer ordered. if told no.... then 3.
3. take them to court.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah turbnetics fucI<in sucks. sad to say that i do have their kit. if you go to their turbonetics site where the member forums is at, they have a couple customers that have blown their engine with their kit. thats is why i tell my friends not to buy any of their kit.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can blow your motor with any kit, but the guy didnt have a tnetics kit. he had a custom kit that from what it sounds like, was slapped together. call the shop and complain and be stern. Ask them what they want to do about it but if your not happy with there response, let them know your lawyer will contact them and so will the BBB within the week. See how quick that lights a fire under there ___!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Blown engine doesn't mean it was a bad turbo kit it usually means bad tune or no tune for most people then it could happen from mechanical failure as well, you could have the best turbo kit and blow and engine due to a fouled plug, bad tune, oil pump failure, clogged oil filter, not servicing your car enough, and etc too many reasons for blown engines.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbonetics makes great kits imo. Everything lines up perfectly and has plenty of room for modification if you want to expand your turbo venture. The Ceramic BB watercooled turbo that came in my kit is working just fine for me. If you decide to go crazy with power 350+ hp or something, definitely wouldn't recommend spending money on a recirc'd BOV, cast log manifold, piggyback tuned kit... but for my purposes, I love it. Great warranty too
Old 08-02-2009, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He will find out Monday what they are going to do for him so stay posted for results.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

In for pics...
Old 08-02-2009, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah get some pics of the this rig job, and I motion for the court order they are royally F'd

So of course I go to look at their site, they no longer have the turbonetics kit listed but they sure do show a picture of that Coming Soon turbokits.com kit god it looks HORRIBLE

Last edited by Nightbeat; 08-02-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

swap ic's with me!

i could use a second BOV
Old 08-03-2009, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The intercooler core wasn't half bad but the welds for the BOV flange on the side were pitiful and dirty. It was really really heavy also...seems to be the running trend. I'm in contact with a guy that has this kit installed and being dyno tuned (even though its supposed to come with a tune from them) and will let me know the results. This is his cardomain page with a few pics of the halfway installed kit. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3345956 I don't see a location for the MAF on his setup... just a filter? Turbo isn't clocked, which was a major issue I ran into with clearances, and a snap-ring or cir-clip holds the BOV on the intercooler... not a fan of that.

Last edited by rangerryda; 08-03-2009 at 03:43 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching
Old 08-03-2009, 11:01 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

most kits dont come preclocked and as far as the c-clip thats what you get with an hks bov...

i tried to look a little closer at the mani but its kinda blurry, looks close to what the t-netics is but polished.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nah, this manifold is a bottom mount and the T-netics is more of a front mount. This in turn places the turbo way to close to the block/transmission. It actually touches just slightly. I know that turbos don't come clocked, I was just noting that his pictured kit was still halfway installed. I clocked my buddies turbo to check clearances and as I previously mentioned, they were way too close for comfort.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

I am sure Jesse from Turbo Kits will chime in here. He is a stand-up fella and will explain what is going on.

Quick Reply: Turbokits.com "Custom Kit"