Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbonetic kit engine stalling, anyone else beside me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Turbonetic kit engine stalling, anyone else beside me?

hmm, i'm having problem with the turbonetic kit

Last night while coming to a stop the engine stall on me once. when i started the car up, it threw three CEL codes for Random misfire, #2 cyl & #3 cyl misfire. when the car were about to stall, i notice the wideband gauge staying at 11:1 AFR. my guess is an overly rich AFR kill the engine.

To my understanding, turbonetic recirculated the blow off valve to prevent this kinda of stalling problem. I guess recirculation is not enough to prevent stalling. I'm going to check the connection on my MAF sensor. If the connection is good, then Mr. Unichip is not doing a good job controlling the fuel system.

anyone else having the same problem???

images on page 5.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member

Hey man. My car is throwing random misfire in all 4 cylinders, so I'm in the same boat. My friend who's doing the installation is headed to Toyota, hopefully in the next few days, to see if they can tell him what's exactly causing the problem. From what I've seen in my past post, this seems to be a problem that's been happening across the different manufacuterers (sp?). Anyway, if you get any info, please let me know, and vice versa. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What about your spark plugs. Did you gap them to the right specs? I had a misfire and all I did was change my plugs. No more CEL's.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You could be getting spark plug blow out.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get a CEL with the Turbonetics only in the morning after its been sittin all night. I've never checked the code b/c i was hesitant to drive it. So i always reset the ECU, could be a bad move but after i reset the ECU it will stay off for a couple days 5 at most and then one morning it will be back on. I probably need to research into that more next time i see the CEL
Old 04-14-2006, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pick up a code scanner, you dont need anything fancy.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46030
Old 04-14-2006, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCTuNeR80
I get a CEL with the Turbonetics only in the morning after its been sittin all night. I've never checked the code b/c i was hesitant to drive it. So i always reset the ECU, could be a bad move but after i reset the ECU it will stay off for a couple days 5 at most and then one morning it will be back on. I probably need to research into that more next time i see the CEL

You can never be to careful with your engine. That's no way to fix the problem bro, so I would advise you to find the solution asap.

Have you changed the plugs to colder plugs? Check your piping as well, cause in the other thread, guy was having problems with his Turbonetics kit, and it causing his car to stall. Turns out, one of the pipes off the intercooler was loose. Tightened it up, and he was good as new.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im not having problems with stalling at all. The cars runs GREAT! Feels stock besides the extra power. The CEL has never come one while im driving, just when its been sittin overnight for a while. So i dont know what it could be. But i will defenitly get it checked out the next time i see it.

What plugs would you suggest? I have been trying to figure out which ones to get
Old 04-14-2006, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so getting the CEL code read will not disturb the UNICHIP at all is that correct?

Also i wanted to add that the CEL comes on right when i start the car. Its never done it while driving. So i just reset it and drive off when the engine warms up and it drives great.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so getting the CEL code read will not disturb the UNICHIP at all is that correct?

Also i wanted to add that the CEL comes on right when i start the car. Its never done it while driving. So i just reset it and drive off when the engine warms up and it drives great.
No it won't. I have a question for you though. Did you install the O2 extender when the kit was put on the car?
Old 04-14-2006, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes Yes Yes! i was pleasently suprised to see the kit came with that, didnt expect it. So yes i do have it installed! My car has been sittin since 5 today, and im not going to start it untill the morning, if i have a CEL i will drive straight to Autozone and get the code read and post it
Old 04-14-2006, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It will not disturb the UNICHIP. I know I have said this before in other threads, but it just might be a misfire. About a couple of days after install of my kit I got a CEL. The code was a misfire. We cleared it. A couple of days later the same thing. My shop changed my plugs and now everything runs great. But I highly suggest you find out what the code is first. Then work it out from there.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

first off, the stock spark plug are some of the best spark plug on the market right now. no point in switching them out. I took one out to check the condition of it, man i was amaze that toyota put denso iridium spark plug in our engine. these babies should last for a long time.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm 90% positive it's a misfire code. But let us know, so that we can be 100% sure.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KJIN
first off, the stock spark plug are some of the best spark plug on the market right now. no point in switching them out. I took one out to check the condition of it, man i was amaze that toyota put denso iridium spark plug in our engine. these babies should last for a long time.
They are good, but he has a boosted car now. I'm just letting him know what happend to my car. I had the same problem.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member

I have had the same problems.... if you car stalls after boost its because the turbo blows air back out the intake and it fools the car... which inturn causes your car to go rich for a second or two just keep the car in gear or tap the gas peddle while in nutral to stop it from stalling. with the CEL i just gapped the spark plugs and if you put the O2 extender on the front o2 sensor it is supose to go on the one on your s-pipe if you have any other questions pm me.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheRobtc05
if you car stalls after boost its because the turbo blows air back out the intake and it fools the car... which inturn causes your car to go rich for a second or two just keep the car in gear or tap the gas peddle while in nutral to stop it from stalling.
thats exactly the problem here.

With this turbonetic kit, i was under the impression that the Unichip were able to controll the injectors to offset this situation. i guess the Unichip has its limit.

what i really don't understand is why do some people have this same problem while others do not have this problem.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KJIN
Originally Posted by TheRobtc05
if you car stalls after boost its because the turbo blows air back out the intake and it fools the car... which inturn causes your car to go rich for a second or two just keep the car in gear or tap the gas peddle while in nutral to stop it from stalling.
thats exactly the problem here.

With this turbonetic kit, i was under the impression that the Unichip were able to controll the injectors to offset this situation. i guess the Unichip has its limit.

what i really don't understand is why do some people have this same problem while others do not have this problem.
Well the answer to that is not every car is the same. Just because we all have TC's and we have the same turbo kit doesn't mean that all the cars are going to run the same. There could be loose wires, install wasn't done correctly, and so on. It could be the somthing so little that could take your car off the road awhile. For example, my car off the raod for 2 weeks. Loose wire connection in the MAF sensor. Got it fixed. a couple of days later....CEL. A random misfire. Changed plugs.... Now I have a bad bearing in the turbo. All Ican say is expect things to go wrong from time to time.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wait a sec... you have a bad bearing in your turbo??? How long have you had the kit? Who's it by, Turbonetics? That's not a good sign... if I'm going to spend $4000 on a turbo kit, I'd better not have any problems with the components for at least 3-4 years... the engine on the other hand...
Old 04-14-2006, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by grmorrow04
Wait a sec... you have a bad bearing in your turbo??? How long have you had the kit? Who's it by, Turbonetics? That's not a good sign... if I'm going to spend $4000 on a turbo kit, I'd better not have any problems with the components for at least 3-4 years... the engine on the other hand...
My engine is fine. Besides that Turbonetics has a one year warrenty.

Quick Reply: Turbonetic kit engine stalling, anyone else beside me?