Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbonetic kit engine stalling, anyone else beside me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let me rephrase what I'm trying to say... if I'm going to spend $4000 on a turbo kit, the parts better last much longer than a year. It's not like a cell phone that is pretty much disposable... ya dig?
Old 04-14-2006, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Have any of you dyno'ed your kits yet. There sure are enough of you with Turbonetics kit, yet no #'s anywhere.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member

As for dyno numbers, I'm not actually with my car right now, nor will I be for over a month. I know when I come back I plan to seek out a Unichip tuner, and get my car tuned for my area and my preferences, and when I do that, hopefully I'll get some numbers to put on here. I think the reason a lot of people haven't dynoed their cars yet, is they are
A. having problems with CELs, most of which are for random misfires or
B. are out enjoying their car too much right now
Don't worry rhythmnsmoke, I'm sure you'll see some dyno numbers soon, and some more Turbonetics powered tCs on the roads and maybe at ZPI's event if they decide to hold one in August.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Actually, at this past ZPI Scion ShootOut, there was a guy with the TN kit who dynoed his car. He had a stock exhaust, with just a muffler welded on the back. He said he was reading at 7psi's of boost, and the dyno we used was a Dyno Dynamics Dyno Machine (Dubbed the HeartBreaker).

His car put down 205whp, and I forget the TQ #'s. If you look in ZPI's Gallery on the website, you can see the pics of the car with the TN kit on it. KEEP IN MIND....Dyno Dynamics Dyno's are perhaps the harshest dyno's on the market, as they read lower than many of the other typical dyno machines. Supposedly they are considered to be "Real World" dyno's.

Our car dynoed at 140.9whp and 150tq with a ZPI S-pipe and ZPI exhaust w/Blitz Nur Spec Muffler. ZPI Stage 1 will be installed in about 2 weeks.

I just wanted to see what other #'s you guys with the TN kit were getting.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

205whp
what a joke...kids car must have been running bill gates rich
I cant wait to get my car to the dyno cause when I beat out turbonetics numbers Im gonna laugh my a$$ off, although I will still be lacking in the tq #'s dept.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
205whp
what a joke...kids car must have been running bill gates rich
I cant wait to get my car to the dyno cause when I beat out turbonetics numbers Im gonna laugh my a$$ off, although I will still be lacking in the tq #'s dept.

He was on a perfect Tune actually. The guys who dynoed it were extremely impressed with the Tune it had, and Kenny was impressed as well.

I asked MIPLAYA what dyno did they use when they dynoed their promotional tC. And he said it was on a Dynojet. Which would explain the difference in whp #'s. Even ZPI Stage 1 on a Dyno Dynamics saw like 248whp on 10psi, with a tune richer than that of the TN kit. On a Dynojet, Stage 1 will 290whp on 10psi. See the difference it makes? That's why I call it the HeartBreaker. That thing reads hella low, and perhaps one of the lowest reading dynos out. Which is a good thing acutally, especially if you tune using it. Imagine if you said you made 300whp on a Dyno Dynamics dyno. That's hella impressive if you ask me.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow... I wish I saw this thread last night. Couple things here. #1 your car should NEVER stall coming off load. The Unichip does control the temp rich condition caused by coming off of load. If you are stalling theres something else going on. For those stalling what vacuum are you reading at idle. Also have you checked the plug gap as well. Sometimes the gap will need to be decreased under rich boosted conditiions. For instance on Z cars our stock gap is .044 but when we boost the car we go to .035 to prevent spark blowout. And thats with Iridiums as well.
Next I'd be very interested to see that turbo that failed. Just curious but is/was the BOV hooked up correctly. My concern there is that the damage was caused by surge. Please PM me with all the details if you can. LAstly dyno numbers are never 100% dead on. What you are SUPPOSED to measure on a dyno is TOTAL gain. So you dyno the car stock, bolt on the turbo kit, dyno again. See what the total gain from the system was. DynoDynamics dynos read typically from 10-20% lower then a Dynojet. This is due to its correction settings and its loadbased design. There is another Tc on the boards making something like 260WHP and 270ft/lb on 8 PSI with just an exhaust system. Of course in a Dynojet. If you are going to compare dyno numbers you need to look at total gain. Anyone else who Imissed who is having a prob please feel free to PM me and I'll do everything in my power to get it fixed for you ASAP.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
LAstly dyno numbers are never 100% dead on. What you are SUPPOSED to measure on a dyno is TOTAL gain. So you dyno the car stock, bolt on the turbo kit, dyno again. See what the total gain from the system was. DynoDynamics dynos read typically from 10-20% lower then a Dynojet. This is due to its correction settings and its loadbased design. There is another Tc on the boards making something like 260WHP and 270ft/lb on 8 PSI with just an exhaust system. Of course in a Dynojet.

That's what I said bro. I'm sure this guys TN kit would see the same numbers you guys posted if it was on a dynojet as well. The car is sweet, and runs good. No one is talking down on the #'s if that's what you were thinking. Just making sure you know that.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
LAstly dyno numbers are never 100% dead on. What you are SUPPOSED to measure on a dyno is TOTAL gain. So you dyno the car stock, bolt on the turbo kit, dyno again. See what the total gain from the system was. DynoDynamics dynos read typically from 10-20% lower then a Dynojet. This is due to its correction settings and its loadbased design. There is another Tc on the boards making something like 260WHP and 270ft/lb on 8 PSI with just an exhaust system. Of course in a Dynojet.

That's what I said bro. I'm sure this guys TN kit would see the same numbers you guys posted if it was on a dynojet as well. The car is sweet, and runs good. No one is talking down on the #'s if that's what you were thinking. Just making sure you know that.
Oh no I just wanted to get that info out there. Not everyone is 100% familiar with the way dynos work and tend to just look at numbers without regard to what dyno was used, what correction was applied, etc. The following is a VERY general list of Dyno readings:

Dynojet 2XX series (generally accepted standard for WHP numbers) Inertia based dyno. Good for power numbers, bad for tuning
Dynapack 5-15% LOWER readings then Dynojet. Load Based Dyno. Excellent for tuning
Dyno Dynamics 10-20% lower then Dynojet depending on correction factor applied by operator. Load Based Dyno One of the BEST tuning dynos available.
Mustang Dyno 5-30% lower or higher then Dynojets but usually lower. Load Based Dyno. The primary correction factor for this dyno is vehicle weight. On a Mustang dyno the operator enters the weight of the vehicle into the software and the system loads the rollers according to the weight entered. Example of problem: Baseline dyno of a Spec V showed 135 HP/ 144 ft/lb of Tq. Changing weight to 300lbs less netted 157 HP 169 ft/lb. Decent dyno for tuning. Can be used to test 1/4 mile times as well.

Again thats a VERY general list of the most common dynos out there. Dyno numbers should always be taken with a grain of salt. When getting dyno numbers from any car the first question you should ask is what was the baseline number done on the same dyno. If there wasn't a baseline run done on the same dyno you can consider the numbers only halfway valid.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah

The only baseline run done on the ShootOut day was that of the ZPI vr. 2 crank pulley. Yamaha's car was putting out 134whp before the pulley, and 146whp after the pulley.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

^^^
The t'netics kit bolt on w/o exhaust system should be higher than 205 whp. and at 8 psi.
Who installed the kit?
Old 04-14-2006, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member

Yea i was kinda disapointed in the number i put down... 205 whp sucks ***** i mean i understand that the dyno read low but they said they told me the number that the car would lay down on a dynojet. so i think 205 is the dynojet number. i just ordered an exhaust and an s-pipe so i am hoping to pick up an extra 20-30 whp but again i am really disapointed... if i had to choose i think i would switch the kit to the ZPI kit i like them alot better.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheRobtc05
Yea i was kinda disapointed in the number i put down... 205 whp sucks ***** i mean i understand that the dyno read low but they said they told me the number that the car would lay down on a dynojet. so i think 205 is the dynojet number. i just ordered an exhaust and an s-pipe so i am hoping to pick up an extra 20-30 whp but again i am really disapointed... if i had to choose i think i would switch the kit to the ZPI kit i like them alot better.
Um they told you wrong then. Theres no less then two Tcs on this board with Dynojet numbers in the 240s and 250s.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dyno somewhere else. Philly Dyno Works is local to you, and will give you better #s then what you have now with the Dynojet 424x.
http://phillydynoworks.com/index_site.htm
Old 04-14-2006, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Get on a dyno and see for yourself. Don't accept word of mouth from a competetor. Or anyone for that matter. Get your own information and base your opinion on that.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member

I already got it dynoed i was the one who put down 205 at the scion shootout and i have been in a ZPI turboed car and a turbonetics car and i really like the zpi kit better. both the kits make relativly the same power but ZPIs kit spools fast as hell.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member

I care about the dyno numbers but that really doesnt mean that much to me there is room for improvement on the kit and i want to get all the bugs worked out and get it running like it should.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I care about the dyno numbers but that really doesnt mean that much to me there is room for improvement on the kit and i want to get all the bugs worked out and get it running like it should.
I think what they mean is get it dyno'd on a Dynojet dyno and you will see how drastically different the HP numbers are. The smaller 16G turbo may spool faster but runs out of head room VERY quickly with higher boost.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

The thing about the 'netics kit. as opposed to the zpi kit. Is the 'netics kit is fully capable to be a 400 hp kit w/o changing anything, besides internals to the 2az itself.

I don't know what the stage 2 zpi kit is capable of.

But that says alot for the 'netics kit. Also the warrenty on the kit is more than enough reason for me to get the kit.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TimmyT
^^^
The t'netics kit bolt on w/o exhaust system should be higher than 205 whp. and at 8 psi.
Who installed the kit?

Are you paying attention bro. I said it was a Dyno Dynamics dyno machine. THEY READ LOWER THAN YOUR TYPICAL DYNO. Please read the post entirely.

Quick Reply: Turbonetic kit engine stalling, anyone else beside me?