Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbonetic kit engine stalling, anyone else beside me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TimmyT
The thing about the 'netics kit. as opposed to the zpi kit. Is the 'netics kit is fully capable to be a 400 hp kit w/o changing anything, besides internals to the 2az itself.

I don't know what the stage 2 zpi kit is capable of.

But that says alot for the 'netics kit. Also the warrenty on the kit is more than enough reason for me to get the kit.

Evo III 16G can handle 400hp which is the turbine ZPI uses.

Besides, I'll take a faster spool over a "capable" hp number. No one is pushing that number besides ZPI's silver tC (at least not on these boards), so faster spooling is just what I prefer. And how hard is it really to change out a turbine, if you want more than 400hp?

It's just a matter of preference that's all. Both kits are awesome.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheRobtc05
Yea i was kinda disapointed in the number i put down... 205 whp sucks ***** i mean i understand that the dyno read low but they said they told me the number that the car would lay down on a dynojet. so i think 205 is the dynojet number. i just ordered an exhaust and an s-pipe so i am hoping to pick up an extra 20-30 whp but again i am really disapointed... if i had to choose i think i would switch the kit to the ZPI kit i like them alot better.

I honestly think it was just the dyno dynamics. on a dynojet, you are going to get the #'s that they advertise. So, don't feel bad, your kit is sweet.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member

The kit does look sweet but i would rather have that quicker spool time and the extra few horsepower but whatever i cant change now.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The kit does look sweet but i would rather have that quicker spool time and the extra few horsepower but whatever i cant change now.
If you raced your car on a track. You would change your mind really fast. Top end wins races not quick spool hahaha.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by miaplaya
Dynojet 2XX series (generally accepted standard for WHP numbers) Inertia based dyno. Good for power numbers, bad for tuning
Dynapack 5-15% LOWER readings then Dynojet. Load Based Dyno. Excellent for tuning
Dyno Dynamics 10-20% lower then Dynojet depending on correction factor applied by operator. Load Based Dyno One of the BEST tuning dynos available.
Mustang Dyno 5-30% lower or higher then Dynojets but usually lower. Load Based Dyno. The primary correction factor for this dyno is vehicle weight. On a Mustang dyno the operator enters the weight of the vehicle into the software and the system loads the rollers according to the weight entered. Example of problem: Baseline dyno of a Spec V showed 135 HP/ 144 ft/lb of Tq. Changing weight to 300lbs less netted 157 HP 169 ft/lb. Decent dyno for tuning. Can be used to test 1/4 mile times as well.
thank god somebody clarified it! thats why i use dynapacks unlike some people here that think dynojets are da $hitz. thats why i dont post my dynapack runs...

dint you had your tC at the open house on the dynapack ? what numbers did you get ?
Old 04-15-2006, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Munch
If you raced your car on a track. You would change your mind really fast. Top end wins races not quick spool hahaha.

I did race it on the track i mean i am not the best of drivers and i admit that but my best run (on street tires and i wasnt warming them up in the water box because i had just baught them and i want them to last) was a 14.6 i think the mph was 105. that didnt really please me to much.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did race it on the track i mean i am not the best of drivers and i admit that but my best run (on street tires and i wasnt warming them up in the water box because i had just baught them and i want them to last) was a 14.6 i think the mph was 105. that didnt really please me to much.
Your 60ft time must have sucked bigtime. My mph was 105 but I ran a 13.7
Old 04-15-2006, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man Im very interested in getting the turbonetics kit, but the only thing that holds me back is threads like this, so many people are having problems with misfires, u have to change plug gap now, sounds like theres a little more than just bolting on a kit , I know is the best kit out there imo and I know theres kits like munch's that havent had any problems but It kind of makes me think about if im going to go through some problems like these, is it worth $4800 plus maintance?
Old 04-15-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

From my understanding most problems so far have been only because the kit wasnt installed right or forgot something very small during the install. I saw Rob's tC in action and the car ran great! It didnt post the time i think eveyonr wanted to see but he was on street tires and to honest....dont get ____ed Rob...but It looked like he could of pushed it harder on the starts. I think thats why he didnt hit the 13's because it was a gentle take off and no burnout to warm the tires.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ELNENE
Man Im very interested in getting the turbonetics kit, but the only thing that holds me back is threads like this, so many people are having problems with misfires, u have to change plug gap now, sounds like theres a little more than just bolting on a kit , I know is the best kit out there imo and I know theres kits like munch's that havent had any problems but It kind of makes me think about if im going to go through some problems like these, is it worth $4800 plus maintance?
if you have the money to pay for it then maintenance cost should be chimp change. oil change with synthetic every 3k.

since you are worried sick when you read threads like this. i would rather get this kit vs others than to deal with delayed shipping. missing parts. bad fitment. its easier to change the spark plugs to one step colder and gap them right than the headaches of a bad exhaust manifold.

if you want to talk to the " The Turbonetics the man dude " PM " MIAPLAYA "
Old 04-15-2006, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member

Im not ____ed i did take it easy and like i said i am not the best driver in the world but with all the problems i had with the the turbonetics kit, like a downpipe without an o2 bung, the directions tellin you to put the o2 extender on the downpipes o2 sensor when its suposed to go on the s-pipes o2 sensor, the misfire codes being thrown and the stalling after boost, its just stupid. I know that aftermarket is going to have problems but all of theses problems could have been avoided and it cost the shop were i got the kit put on extra money for the extra man hours to get the problems fixed. they had the whole turbo assembly in the car before they realized the o2 bung wasnt there, so they had to rip it out talk to turbonetics and get a new one shipped. The kit is cool but there are some problems that come with it.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
From my understanding most problems so far have been only because the kit wasnt installed right or forgot something very small during the install. I saw Rob's tC in action and the car ran great! It didnt post the time i think eveyonr wanted to see but he was on street tires and to honest....dont get ____ed Rob...but It looked like he could of pushed it harder on the starts. I think thats why he didnt hit the 13's because it was a gentle take off and no burnout to warm the tires.
Dont worry im not ____ed.
how is that pully workin for you, after that dyno i ordered one cant wait to get it.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member

They did suck bigtime lol. Were you the guy who is runnin 10 psi on the turbonetics kit?
Old 04-15-2006, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member

This is ridiculous. I find it hilarious that some people can expect to add 100 whp to our little 4 banger cars that are less than two years old and expect there to be no sort of tweaking, adjusting or extra maintainence and work done. Yes, I own a turbonetics kit. Yes, I'm having problems with a random misfire code. I'm not saying that I was expecting this, but you should have some clue in mind that it may take a little extra work to get everything running flawlessly.

Turbonetics has produced a premiere turbo kit (if not the outright best) for our car. I liked the way this thread started, as a way to get some information for a common problem that we're having with this kit, and to find a solution, but I dislike how I believe it's headed. Tikbhoy is abolutely correct. The problems with this kit are minor inconveniences in the grand scheme of things. The people at Turbonetics have been exellent in helping me and my installer fix the small problems, not to mention MIAPLAYA's great help on these boards, and contribution to the Scionlife community in general. For anyone else that wants to wait for a kit, be my guest. By the time it takes for you to get a kit, I'll be back in the states, have my CEL gone, and be making an appointment to get my Unichip tuned beyond this safe tune, to levels where I'll be running circles around people.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member

^^^^
I did expect problems but i didnt expect problems like that.. the kit is awsome. I am going to up the boost to i am plaining on gettin rid of the Unichip and going with something different. What kinda boost are you plaining on runing?
Old 04-15-2006, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by robstc
They did suck bigtime lol. Were you the guy who is runnin 10 psi on the turbonetics kit?
LOL he doesnt tell =)

Originally Posted by cape cod tc
Turbonetics has produced a premiere turbo kit
even tho im using the TRD SC, i dont mind swapping it out. if only it came out october05 ! the quality and customer service of turbonetics is awesome esp the way they organize the open house.

+++++

meet "the man"

Old 04-15-2006, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I met that guy last weekend. He is a straight up guy. Knows his $hit.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member

Man i was really hopin to find out if he was pushin 10 psi i want to know some things about it. o well ill figure it out soon enough.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope 8psi since day one. But now since my fully built motor has made it's way into the car. I will be pushing waayyyy more than that. Just waiting for next month when my LSD is here.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member

How much boost do you think your going to be pushin?

Quick Reply: Turbonetic kit engine stalling, anyone else beside me?