Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbonetic kit engine stalling, anyone else beside me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheRobtc05
How much boost do you think your going to be pushin?
Double what I'm pushing now easy .
Old 04-16-2006, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Munch
WOW! Those are going to be nice #'s. Cant wait to see that.

Yeah Rob I didnt want to dawg you but it seemed to me that at the shootout that people were already saying crap about the turbonetics kit because you ran a 14.7. BUt I do remember the look on everyones faces when they saw the a/f on the dyno

the pulley is working out great. Remember my brothers black tC? Well we did a pull on the way home and i was able to creep ahead everytime.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

The kit does look sweet but i would rather have that quicker spool time and the extra few horsepower but whatever i cant change now.
If you raced your car on a track. You would change your mind really fast. Top end wins races not quick spool hahaha.

Care to elaborate? Quick spooling 16g does low 12's with the ZPI Stage 1, so I don't understand what you mean.

How can you beat another car with the same amount of whp as you have, but spools faster. If (hypothetically speaking) to reach full boost at 4k rpm, and you are putting down oh say 250whp, and you are racing a guy who is putting down 250whp as well, but he hits boost at 3k rpm, I would be safe to put my money on the guy who hits full boost at 3k rpm.

Simply put, while your at say 200whp at 3k rpm, and hit 250whp at 4k rpm (full boost), the other guy would have already be pushing 50whp MORE than you for a full 1k rpm. yeah, don't sound like much, but I would highly doubt you would catch up to him in the top end, when he has already hit full boost, and has been pulling on you AT that full boost till redline, and doing it 1k rpms quicker with EVERY shift.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
The kit does look sweet but i would rather have that quicker spool time and the extra few horsepower but whatever i cant change now.
If you raced your car on a track. You would change your mind really fast. Top end wins races not quick spool hahaha.

Care to elaborate? Quick spooling 16g does low 12's with the ZPI Stage 1, so I don't understand what you mean.

How can you beat another car with the same amount of whp as you have, but spools faster. If (hypothetically speaking) to reach full boost at 4k rpm, and you are putting down oh say 250whp, and you are racing a guy who is putting down 250whp as well, but he hits boost at 3k rpm, I would be safe to put my money on the guy who hits full boost at 3k rpm.

Simply put, while your at say 200whp at 3k rpm, and hit 250whp at 4k rpm (full boost), the other guy would have already be pushing 50whp MORE than you for a full 1k rpm. yeah, don't sound like much, but I would highly doubt you would catch up to him in the top end, when he has already hit full boost, and has been pulling on you AT that full boost till redline, and doing it 1k rpms quicker with EVERY shift.
Bro I'm not gonna get into another ____ing match with you. My car hits full boost at 2800 rpms not 4K. I have no clue where you are getting your numbers from
Old 04-16-2006, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Bro I'm not gonna get into another ____ing match with you. My car hits full boost at 2800 rpms not 4K. I have no clue where you are getting your numbers from

I guess you missed the part where I said "Hypothetical". Not trying to get into a ____ing contest, just asking for an elaboration on that. And I was not talking about YOUR kit in particular. Also, do you not consider hitting full boost at 2800 rpm as "Quick Spooling"? If not, then what exactly is "Quicker Spooling"?
Old 04-16-2006, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member

You have to take me for a ride sometime, and i hope everything works out for you
Old 04-16-2006, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess you missed the part where I said "Hypothetical". Not trying to get into a ____ing contest, just asking for an elaboration on that. And I was not talking about YOUR kit in particular. Also, do you not consider hitting full boost at 2800 rpm as "Quick Spooling"? If not, then what exactly is "Quicker Spooling"?
My friends EVO hit's full boost at 2200rpms. That's quick spooling
Old 04-16-2006, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cape_Cod_TC
This is ridiculous. I find it hilarious that some people can expect to add 100 whp to our little 4 banger cars that are less than two years old and expect there to be no sort of tweaking, adjusting or extra maintainence and work done. Yes, I own a turbonetics kit. Yes, I'm having problems with a random misfire code. I'm not saying that I was expecting this, but you should have some clue in mind that it may take a little extra work to get everything running flawlessly.

Turbonetics has produced a premiere turbo kit (if not the outright best) for our car. I liked the way this thread started, as a way to get some information for a common problem that we're having with this kit, and to find a solution, but I dislike how I believe it's headed. Tikbhoy is abolutely correct. The problems with this kit are minor inconveniences in the grand scheme of things. The people at Turbonetics have been exellent in helping me and my installer fix the small problems, not to mention MIAPLAYA's great help on these boards, and contribution to the Scionlife community in general. For anyone else that wants to wait for a kit, be my guest. By the time it takes for you to get a kit, I'll be back in the states, have my CEL gone, and be making an appointment to get my Unichip tuned beyond this safe tune, to levels where I'll be running circles around people.

I though turbonetic spent a great deal on R&D. we shouldn't be doing the R&D here. nothing against turbonetic, but their kit are not flawless.

One other problem that i had were the downpipe bracket not lining up on the engine block. i tried to enlarge the hole on the bracket by drilling, but the SS material are tough as hell. killed all my drill bits. if i wasn't so excited about installing the kit, i would have just sent the downpipe back to turbonetic for an exchange.

Even with the problems that i'm having, i personally love the power of this kit. The engine feels and sounds like a jet engine now.

SEEMS LIKE THIS THREAD HAS BEEN JACK BY A BUNCH OF NONSENSE.

please, only post reply if you want to contribute to the topic.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK we proven that nothing is perfect BUT a problem that turbonetics will take care of QUICK.

who cares about spooling, start another thread.

the question is?

Turbonetic kit engine stalling, anyone else beside me?

SEEMS LIKE THIS THREAD HAS BEEN JACK BY A BUNCH OF NONSENSE.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

And I guess the answer to that question is YES. No such thing as a perfect kit. I think we all realize that.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my kit just started to stall the other day. Every time I hit boost it turns off so I have to restart the car. If i dont hit boost, the car drives like normal but no point in getting a turbo kit if I cant boost. Changed out the spark plugs today and still the same problem. Redid all the piping to make sure there's no leak and still the same problem. Somebody resolve this problem right away.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OBV venting to atmosphere or is it recirculated?
Old 04-17-2006, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

BOV- recirculating
Old 04-17-2006, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought so, just had to ask to be sure, it was a problem with an open BOV on my last turbo Toyota, when I changed to recirc, never happened again.

I know alot has been said about all this, without doing any deep research I just have a hunch it is is due to the throttle.

Rick
Old 04-17-2006, 04:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could you please verify the BOV vacuum line is in the upper port? I helped someone locally with their kit this week with the same issue and his BOV port was in the wrong spot causing it to open when it should have been closed and caused reversion across the MAF.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting, looking forward to heaing the response

Rick
Old 04-17-2006, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by raamaudio
I thought so, just had to ask to be sure, it was a problem with an open BOV on my last turbo Toyota, when I changed to recirc, never happened again.

I know alot has been said about all this, without doing any deep research I just have a hunch it is is due to the throttle.

Rick

Depending on the location of the BOV, we can still run open BOV without stalling. Seen it done on a tC before.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how do you know if its a misfire or any certain problem when the CEL lights up ???
Old 04-17-2006, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member

Well stalling is pretty self-explainitory to diagnose. As for the CEL, you need to have someone with an OBD scanner to figure that out. There are a few symptoms with my car, but I'm not sure how universal these are.
1. Idle is horrible. It ranges a lot from just dropping down to 500 and then bouncing back up and sounding choppy, to one night it was bouncing back and forth between 500 and 1500.
2. When I'm cruising at low RPMs ie 2000-2400 sometimes the car seems like it wants to kick you out of gear. Not a violent shake or anything, but it'll let off for a sec and then give a little kick.

Like I said, I'm not having any problems with the stalling, but the misfire code, and these are a few of the symptoms. The biggest indicator though is the CEL. If you have one, have someone scan it and see what comes up, and then go from there. I'm hoping that changing my plugs, gapping them better, and taking off my Nology wires will solve the problem.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cape_Cod_TC
Well stalling is pretty self-explainitory to diagnose. As for the CEL, you need to have someone with an OBD scanner to figure that out. There are a few symptoms with my car, but I'm not sure how universal these are.
1. Idle is horrible. It ranges a lot from just dropping down to 500 and then bouncing back up and sounding choppy, to one night it was bouncing back and forth between 500 and 1500.
2. When I'm cruising at low RPMs ie 2000-2400 sometimes the car seems like it wants to kick you out of gear. Not a violent shake or anything, but it'll let off for a sec and then give a little kick.

Like I said, I'm not having any problems with the stalling, but the misfire code, and these are a few of the symptoms. The biggest indicator though is the CEL. If you have one, have someone scan it and see what comes up, and then go from there. I'm hoping that changing my plugs, gapping them better, and taking off my Nology wires will solve the problem.
As I read the symptoms your car is experiencing it sounds more and more like a vacuum/boost leak somewhere... Look forward to the info...

Quick Reply: Turbonetic kit engine stalling, anyone else beside me?