Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbonetic kit engine stalling, anyone else beside me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Could you please verify the BOV vacuum line is in the upper port? I helped someone locally with their kit this week with the same issue and his BOV port was in the wrong spot causing it to open when it should have been closed and caused reversion across the MAF.
what do you mean in the upper port? Ellaborate please. You mean the vacuum tubing from the BOV connecting to the T-Fitting near the throttle body?
Old 04-17-2006, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DTRUONG_112
Could you please verify the BOV vacuum line is in the upper port? I helped someone locally with their kit this week with the same issue and his BOV port was in the wrong spot causing it to open when it should have been closed and caused reversion across the MAF.
what do you mean in the upper port? Ellaborate please. You mean the vacuum tubing from the BOV connecting to the T-Fitting near the throttle body?
The BOV has 2 ports. One is on the top and one is under that one. The vacume source is supposed to hooked up to the top port not the bottom one.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I remember now having similar problems, cheap vacumm hose supplied with the last turbo system I had all stretched out and I had several leaks. Once I replaced all the hose it was running just fine.

At 10.5:1 compressioin on my Matrix with 12 PSI of boost I had issues with misfires under load at around 4.5k RPM and higher, even with colder Iridiums, gapped properly. I tried Platinums and not much improvement. A very good tuner suggested regular NGK plugs, the cheap ones, car ran perfectly after than, just had to swap them out more often.

Toyotas independent coil pack systems are very effecient and have been used effectively on many high output turbo applications, I would stay stock in that department. Unless of course there is a proven need to modify it with dyno numbers, real world experience from a trusted source, time slips, etc.

Rick
Old 04-17-2006, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Munch
The BOV has 2 ports. One is on the top and one is under that one. The vacume source is supposed to hooked up to the top port not the bottom one.
Bingo...
Old 04-17-2006, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, just changed that then man. Now where does the bottom port go then? Is it just left to be open or where does it go? I know the wastegate, the top port is open too. Does the Bottom port of the BOV go to the top port of the wastegate?
Old 04-17-2006, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, just changed that then man. Now where does the bottom port go then? Is it just left to be open or where does it go? I know the wastegate, the top port is open too. Does the Bottom port of the BOV go to the top port of the wastegate?
NOOOOOO
Those are extra ports that are not used in this setup. They do not affect the working of the BOV or wastegate whatsoever. The top port on the wastegate is used when you add a boost controller. The bottom port of the wastegate is used in other applications like supercharged cars, etc.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NO..........leave them both open.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Left them open and switched out the port on the BOV and the car still turns off on me after hitting boost. I dont know what else to do.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Left them open and switched out the port on the BOV and the car still turns off on me after hitting boost. I dont know what else to do.
If you can tonight can you please disconnect the battery on the car when you hit the hay. The guy in SD who had this happen to him the car still acted weird after correcting it but the next day when he drove the car it was PERFECT (his words). I'll see if he can chime in to clarify the steps he did. I have not driven a car in this mode before so I don't want to give false info..
Old 04-17-2006, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

k, i'll try that tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the tips. I just spent pretty much $5k on the kit and I just want it to run PERFECT with no problems. I'll let you know what happens by tomorrow.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

k, i'll try that tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the tips. I just spent pretty much $5k on the kit and I just want it to run PERFECT with no problems. I'll let you know what happens by tomorrow.
I understand you're wanting it to run perfect and I would to. Unfortunately small things like having the boost signal going to the wrong port can have a DRASTIC affect on the car...
Old 04-18-2006, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So i'm the guy in SD that MIA is talking about. I had the same problem as you bro. After I fixed my BOV the car ran much better but it definitely was not what I had expected from 5K. The next morning however, i drove my long commute to work at normal conditions, never getting on it at all. On my way home I floored her and wow! Excellent and quick boost, no misfires, and of course no stalling. The ecu just needed to unscrew itself.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jam0321
So i'm the guy in SD that MIA is talking about. I had the same problem as you bro. After I fixed my BOV the car ran much better but it definitely was not what I had expected from 5K. The next morning however, i drove my long commute to work at normal conditions, never getting on it at all. On my way home I floored her and wow! Excellent and quick boost, no misfires, and of course no stalling. The ecu just needed to unscrew itself.
Thanks for chiming in John..
Old 04-18-2006, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

let me know how it goes today and if you have any questions about what else I did to fix the problem PM me.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jam0321
let me know how it goes today and if you have any questions about what else I did to fix the problem PM me.
yeah, still having the same problem after trying to reset the ECU. ANything esle you can recommend?
Old 04-19-2006, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So let me get this straight. The BOV is in the upper port. The wategate lower port. What does the boost gauge read at idle? Are you sure theres no vacuum leaks? When does the car stall?
Old 04-19-2006, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So let me get this straight. The BOV is in the upper port. The wategate lower port. What does the boost gauge read at idle? Are you sure theres no vacuum leaks? When does the car stall?
boost reads 20 vacuum. i redid all the piping andd there are no leaks. The car stalls when I hit about 4-5psi. Any ideas?
Old 04-19-2006, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

boost reads 20 vacuum. i redid all the piping andd there are no leaks. The car stalls when I hit about 4-5psi. Any ideas?
Could POSSIBLY be a Unichip problem. Does the car complete shut off when you hit 4-5 PSI? Is the MAF installed the right direction?
Old 04-19-2006, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, car shuts off completely so i have to restart the car. Yes the maf in in the right direction. If its a bad unichip, how would i go about getting a new one. The only thing is it never stalled when I had it first installed. Problems...
Old 04-19-2006, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, car shuts off completely so i have to restart the car. Yes the maf in in the right direction. If its a bad unichip, how would i go about getting a new one. The only thing is it never stalled when I had it first installed. Problems...
Hmm maybe the MAF is dead after all that time with air being reverted on it. I would call Turbonetics directly 805-581-6710

Quick Reply: Turbonetic kit engine stalling, anyone else beside me?