Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbonetics Kit Installed, a couple quick questions though..

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Turbonetics Kit Installed, a couple quick questions though..

I just finished installing my turbo and wanted to make sure that everything's alright. The car idles and drives completely fine, no chugging, etc... I haven't spotted any leaks, but there is a whiteish colored smoke coming off the exhaust side of the turbocharger. I'm guessing that's normal, and just the gasket materials & oils burning in. It doesn't smell like exhaust gas so I don't think it's an exhaust leak. I just wanted to confirm that it should do that for a little while before I really take the car out driving.

Old 07-09-2006, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

congrats on ur turbo? n e pics
Old 07-09-2006, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll go out and take pics soon. I haven't yet, just because I wanted to make sure it ran before I jumped the gun and started celebrating...

My question remains though. Should there be white smoke coming from the exhaust housing/turbo heat shield area. I let the gaskets I made settle for a little over a day before I started the car.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it "billowing" or just a small haze. My guess is that it is (like you said) oils burning off.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes in almost all of Turbonetics instructions it states for the first couple of heat cycles you will get some slight smoking as the oils used to manufacture the piping burn off. It should go away by later today if you drive it all day and by tomorrow f you don't.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's enough to see with the hood open, but it's definitely not enough to see coming through when the hood's closed. Sorta hard to describe... but it's NOTHING like when a car overheats. Not a billow like that at all.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah that's normal. It will go away soon.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool. Did you do the install yourself?
Old 07-09-2006, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Munch to the rescue like always! I just wanted to make sure i made the gasket properly for the downpipe-to-turbo mating surface. Also, there isn't supposed to be a gasket for the evolution wastegate, right? My kit didn't come with one, and it's not listed in the instructions. Thanks so much for the answers. Maybe I'll hit up DPA next weekend.

And yes I installed it myself. Started yesterday afternoon 1-2pm. Worked until 11pm (with the help of giant floodlights haha) And then I put the bumper back on this morning, changed the oil and cranked her up.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is no gasket between the wastegate and the manifold but there is one between the wastegate and the downpipe. BTW don't forget to register and get some pics up on www.turboneticsownersclub.com
Old 07-09-2006, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BreakTheStatic
Munch to the rescue like always! I just wanted to make sure i made the gasket properly for the downpipe-to-turbo mating surface. Also, there isn't supposed to be a gasket for the evolution wastegate, right? My kit didn't come with one, and it's not listed in the instructions. Thanks so much for the answers. Maybe I'll hit up DPA next weekend.

And yes I installed it myself. Started yesterday afternoon 1-2pm. Worked until 11pm (with the help of giant floodlights haha) And then I put the bumper back on this morning, changed the oil and cranked her up.
Yeah come out bro. I would love to see your car.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

congrats!!!
Old 07-09-2006, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

how much horse power gain did u get from it?
Old 07-09-2006, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Importspeed
Don't know yet. I just installed it today so I really haven't had time to get on a dyno yet. Speaking of that... does anyone know of a decent place to get in some dyno runs on long island? I'm hoping to get the advertised 240-250whp. It certainly feels quick I can tell you that already.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Importspeed
Don't know yet. I just installed it today so I really haven't had time to get on a dyno yet. Speaking of that... does anyone know of a decent place to get in some dyno runs on long island? I'm hoping to get the advertised 240-250whp. It certainly feels quick I can tell you that already.
Check Performance Motorsports in New York
Old 07-10-2006, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member

How hard was the install ?
Old 07-10-2006, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Overall it wasn't bad at all. Every component of the kit is labeled (all the way down to the washers, nuts & bolts), so that helped a lot. The only thing they messed up on was that I received the G35 instructions instead of the tC's... I wound up just downloading the pdf from here on ScionLife and printing that out (it was slightly dated, because one or two things in the instructions were changed since the pdf was made). The only problems I came across was putting the downpipe/turbo/wastegate together. Whenever I would get one set of bolts lined up properly, the other set wouldn't fit. We really had to bend the flex pipe going from the downpipe to the wastegate a lot in order to make it fit. Other than that it was smooth sailing.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Overall it wasn't bad at all. Every component of the kit is labeled (all the way down to the washers, nuts & bolts), so that helped a lot. The only thing they messed up on was that I received the G35 instructions instead of the tC's... I wound up just downloading the pdf from here on ScionLife and printing that out (it was slightly dated, because one or two things in the instructions were changed since the pdf was made). The only problems I came across was putting the downpipe/turbo/wastegate together. Whenever I would get one set of bolts lined up properly, the other set wouldn't fit. We really had to bend the flex pipe going from the downpipe to the wastegate a lot in order to make it fit. Other than that it was smooth sailing.
Glad to hear that everything worked out for you. I'll let the guys up there know what happened with your instructions if you haven't already. Feedback is always helpful...:D
Old 07-10-2006, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ooh what pdf would that be? id like to see that!
Old 07-10-2006, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats on the turbo install bro! I really wanna get a Turbonetics kit, but I ain't got the cash. Oh well it'll happen eventually...

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Kit Installed, a couple quick questions though..