Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbonetics Kit Installed, a couple quick questions though..

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BreakTheStatic
The only problems I came across was putting the downpipe/turbo/wastegate together.
You didn't have a tough time getting off the oil pan? Did you use a blow torch?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mike6789k
Overall it wasn't bad at all. Every component of the kit is labeled (all the way down to the washers, nuts & bolts), so that helped a lot. The only thing they messed up on was that I received the G35 instructions instead of the tC's... I wound up just downloading the pdf from here on ScionLife and printing that out (it was slightly dated, because one or two things in the instructions were changed since the pdf was made). The only problems I came across was putting the downpipe/turbo/wastegate together. Whenever I would get one set of bolts lined up properly, the other set wouldn't fit. We really had to bend the flex pipe going from the downpipe to the wastegate a lot in order to make it fit. Other than that it was smooth sailing.
ooh what pdf would that be? id like to see that!
The instructions can be found on the Turbonetics Owners Club. Here is a link: Instructions
Old 07-10-2006, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

As long as it isn't blue smoke
Old 07-11-2006, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
The only problems I came across was putting the downpipe/turbo/wastegate together.
You didn't have a tough time getting off the oil pan? Did you use a blow torch?
Didn't have to take the pan off. I just tapped the hole and used grease to catch the debris, and a powerful magnet to get whatever the grease didn't. I also refilled the oil and drained it AGAIN to make sure there were no shavings. Plus, as a last resort there is the oil filter.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

congrats and welcome to the boosted family on Long Island...theres quite a few of us popping up here in NY these days
Old 07-11-2006, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Didn't have to take the pan off. I just tapped the hole and used grease to catch the debris, and a powerful magnet to get whatever the grease didn't. I also refilled the oil and drained it AGAIN to make sure there were no shavings. Plus, as a last resort there is the oil filter.
What did you tap it with and how did you use grease to catch the debris?

You're the first one I've seen who didn't take the oil pan off.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
What did you tap it with and how did you use grease to catch the debris?

You're the first one I've seen who didn't take the oil pan off.
Nah, it's not even part of the instructions from turbonetics. I personally haven't heard of anyone actually taking the pan off to tap it. It's easy enough to do while still attached to the engine. With some companies, such as ZPI, a new pre-tapped pan is provided, so in that case you'd have to take the pan off. That's not the case with turbonetics though.

They provide both the center punch and tap so you don't need to go out and buy anything. I just used some multi-purpose grease, applied it to the threads on the tap and into the cutting grooves, and started to tap it. About halfway through, I backed it out, cleaned off the old grease (and shavings) re-applied new grease to it, and went through again. If you do that, be careful that you following the existing thread pattern and don't cross thread it though. Honestly, it may sound tough, but it was really easy, and I'm very confident that almost no shavings actually got into the pan.