Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbonetics Raptor BOV

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Turbonetics Raptor BOV

Is there anyone here that has one on their TC. It came with my kit and I've converted it to atmospheric dump no problem. Everything works great but, it still flutters to relieve the pressure slowly so it doesn't stall. It has two vac ports on it and the upper is the one to actuate the valve and the lower helps hold it shut under high boost. I've got the vac lines all sorted out no problem but I was just wondering if the HKS would operate like it usually does (one purge) if I swap mine out?

There technically is nothing wrong with the Raptor BOV but I just don't like the flutter noise and I've done everything from adjusting spring pressure to doing every combination of vac line setups and nothing gets rid of the flutter.

Before the flaming, it's NOT compressor surge. It is atmospheric dump and there is no noise while under boost, just blow-off.

I'm interested seeing a tear-down of the BOV but I don't wanna tear mine down for fear of breaking something lol. Any input on any of the following is appreciated.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only correct way to vent to atmo is the go blow through!
Old 04-28-2010, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

you want a cutaway view of which bov? hks i can get but raptor idk. I put a 3rd gen hks on Ramiro's car and it seems to do a pretty good job at high boost (no flutter of anysort) low boost though i havnt gotten a chance to see if it does. Ramiro says it doesnt flutter on low boost.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ElevationTC
The only correct way to vent to atmo is the go blow through!
Correct or not, it acts just like it did before with it now atmospheric. No difference at all except how much louder it is. When you think about it, that air getting thrown back into my intake pipe (pre-turbo) is just going to take the path of least resistance when confronted with a slowing compressor wheel. That path is out the air filter. On it's way there, it has to interrupt the air around the MAF so I figure it's better to have atmospheric dump if you can tune the car to not stall. I haven't changed a thing on your tune Mike and it works perfect.

I'm still going to change it out for the HKS 3 because it sounds waaay better IMO. Some people hate it, but I love the sound, plus if I get tired of the "whistle" I can just take it out and it'll be a "pssshhh".
Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's the best I could find on the Raptor (See attached PDF). I've got this too, but don't have it setup yet so can't speak to the sound.

Edit #1: Nevermind, the .pdf I have is too big for the forum's limit. Sorry.

Edit #2: Here's the link to the Turbonetics site with the .pdf on it. http://www.turboneticsinc.com/sites/default/files/Raptor.pdf
Old 04-29-2010, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the link. I think that came with my kit on paper. I can't remember that long ago lol. It's hooked up just like they say in those instructions (and common sense lol) and still the flutter. Oh well, I'll just go with an HKS when I get the money.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya man it's your adjustment. Mine fluttered at low boost too. All I did was loosen up the spring tension. Also I tee'd into the boost signal from the turbo housing to the bottom port of the bov. These two changes were like night and day. I now love the way my raptor sounds and works. High boost has a loud whoosh and low boost is a long psssh sound. Like a whistle...It sounds so much better.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:55 PM

How did you convert your raptor to blow off? I just got a scion with a turbo in it and it does the exact same thing you explained. Also, did you ever figure out the problem with it and how'd you fix it?
Old 06-04-2011, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You need to mess around with the adjustment screw on the top of the BOV. To convert to atmospheric blow off you have to plug the hole on the intake and just remove the recirculation tube... you'll have to tune for it to prevent stalling; but the only way to really blow off to atmosphere is by either running a blow through set up where the MAF is relocated after the turbo (between the throttle body and blow off valve) or by running a an EMS that solely reads off a MAP which completely eliminates the use of a MAF. Good Luck