Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

turbonetics or zpi

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright...

I have begun to modify my Turbonetics kit that has only lead me to wish I bought a ZPI or Dezod setup...

All the turbo kits out here offer quite a bit of reliability on the stock engine as long as it is installed correctly. However, you bring up the fact that you want to upgrade and that kind of eliminates the Turbonetics kit unless you or your local performance shop is familiar with more custom turbo setups and the capabilities of your engine. This is mainly because Turbonetics has great customer support for their kits, but slim to none for those looking to take the kit to the next level.

This is where Dezod and ZPI step in. Personally, Dezod has offered me so much support even though I have yet to make an order and have helped me with issues I have had with my turbo and questions I have had about it. ZPI took 5 months to send me an s-pipe and customer service has one of the weakest reputations of any company I have done business with. HOWEVER, ZPI's products are GREAT and I would sport them on my car any day if I had the chance... I would just rather not buy it from them!

In other words, ITS UP TO YOU! But in your case, I would choose between Dezod or ZPI... Can't give recs to Turbo Toyotas or the one in Garage 1217 because I have yet to see them in person or hear from any customers.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It really just depends on what application your going to use it for, personally I just ordered a Dezod kit, I customed the kit a little bit for my needs. it really just depends on your money situation and application
Old 05-01-2007, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Get ZPI. I wanted it from day one and didn't get it and regret it.

Like someone said earlier, they live and breath tCs. They're a lot easier to upgrade if you want to go for bigger power. They make bigger power and they'll take care of you.

Ride in a ZPI car, then ride in a Tnetics car and your mind will be made up.

To make it extra reliable, drive down there to have them put it on so you know it's done right by the people who designed the kit. They've been around the longest and didn't just make a "general kit" or "universal kit" fit the tC like Tnetics.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:38 PM

Well, those kits are reliable and good. From my personal experience, i just got my zpi stage 0 installed 2 days ago, and i love it. I got mine with the hks ssq blow off, and no management. i have the aem wide band and getting mid 11 afr's at wot. There is no turbo lag, and at only 6psi it pulls pretty hard. I can only imagine that the stage 1 is like more nastier, but do your research, and it all depends on what u want. They both make good power and are reliable, but man do i love my zpi stage 0 Goodluck on which ever route you take , happy boosting!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:39 PM
SL Member

I live close enough to their shop that i thought if I did get their kit I would just drive down there and pick it up. How much do they charge for install?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:46 PM

If u r talkin about the zpi kit, i installed mine with help from a couple friends. i have never installed a turbo kit before, just did some research and read over the directions, it is pretty straight forward. Of course with the stage 1, u have an intercooler and emanage, but i wouldnt think it is that hard to install. If u dont feel comfortable installing yourself, give Kenny a call and im pretty sure he will work with you. They have great customer service
Old 05-01-2007, 10:58 PM
SL Member

I was just curious how much they might charge. I dont think Ill have any problem installing it myself and I have many friends who have turbo cars that Ive helped out before. its good to hear someone satisfied with there service and to hear the installation went smooth.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 318_tC
ZPI cons....you gotta wait months to get ur kit.
Ha....Imagine what it USE to be, and then compare it to now. It's weeks, not months by the way.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by tlonas
I live close enough to their shop that i thought if I did get their kit I would just drive down there and pick it up. How much do they charge for install?

Get the ZPI kit. Let me know when you are ready, I will put the bug in Kenny's ear, and get you a break on the Installation stuff.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:33 AM

Yeah i second that! It took about 2 1/2 weeks for my kit to come in which i think is pretty reasonable and thats including getting my ceramic coating done! Customer service is great, always willing to help,and if they screwed up they will do their absolute best and more to satisfy the customer. Trust me i know, they hooked me up pretty good for future business!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've been waiting since 3/10/07 for a freakin s-pipe with stainless steel flanges from zpi. i have to say, they are not exactely winning anymore business from me. and i've plugged them so many times on this forum when people as asking where and what parts to get.

if they can't get me a freakin s-pipe in a reasonable time, i can't imagine how long it would take them to assemble a turbo kit for me at his rate.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Just a small observation that people make about companies and their kits.

When you have a large Company like Turbonetics who have been making kits for multiple cars for years, they sorta get out of touch with the core enthusiast. They make a kit on one car...and mass produce them for that model. Most of their R&D goes into the actual kit...and NOT the testing of it on the car. R&D for the kit makes it HELLA reliable. Slap it on the dyno and get some #'s and then spend X amount of dollars for marketing and advertisement to get it out there.

However, there are no "REAL WORLD" data on their kit. How does it perform? What maintenance problems will I encounter? What adjustability do I have with it?

ZPI on the other hand..."Still Get's Dirty"...sorta speak. They can custom make your kit (if you are on site) and if not, you can request certain things (pipe coloring...etc) before ordering. I don't think Tnetics kits come in any other configuration besides what turbo to pick.

ZPI's kits are reliable, proven by them, and their customers. The one quality I love about them is that they came onto the Scion Scene.....NOT with dyno #'s, but with Actual REAL WORLD performance videos. It's simple to put your car on the roller, pump out #'s (inflate them a little for advertising sake), and then Spend money marketing it. Let face it, people see big #'s on paper and they "Bench" race with those numbers. The current enthusiast watch to much F&F, and don't know any better, that Just because you have X amount of HP does not Equate to you smoking this car with X amount of HP.

There are two types of Turbo Scion people:

1) Racer's

2) Showmen

The Racer's go for the ZPI kits because they have PROOF that it smokes the pants off of the competition when certain factors are into play.

The Showmen go for the Most "Bling Bling" looking kit because they want trophies and make their cars into trailer Queens.

Now I'm not saying that Tnetics kit people don't race. But I sure don't see to many #'s coming from their camp when it comes to laying down the rubber on the track...

So which are you?
Old 05-02-2007, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
i've been waiting since 3/10/07 for a freakin s-pipe with stainless steel flanges from zpi. i have to say, they are not exactely winning anymore business from me. and i've plugged them so many times on this forum when people as asking where and what parts to get.

if they can't get me a freakin s-pipe in a reasonable time, i can't imagine how long it would take them to assemble a turbo kit for me at his rate.

I will try and get a hold of Kenny tomorrow about your S-pipe.

FYI....my boy Louis got advice from me about ZPI. He was ready to get a Stage 0 to start off with. Drove up on Friday at opening....They installed, Tuned and Sent him home the Very same Night.

1 DAY turn around on a Stage 0 install and tune.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

FYI....my boy Louis got advice from me about ZPI. He was ready to get a Stage 0 to start off with. Drove up on Friday at opening....They installed, Tuned and Sent him home the Very same Night.

yeah, but between school and work, i have very small windows where i can afford downtime on my tc. i ordered my s-pipe and paid for 3 day shipping so i would have it in time so i could have it installed with my zpi mid-pipe while on spring break. and was really bummed that i couldn't get it done because it never showed up.

this summer i will be working my @$$ off all summer long so i can be boosted a few weeks before i go back to school to make sure everything is running perfectly which once again means i'll have a very narrow time window to get the parts, and get the tc to the shop and a ride home and back when it is ready.

thanks for calling them for me, smoke. i have before on the phone and aim and they said the would throw in a shirt for me since i was being so patient, but that was weeks ago and i still haven't heard a word from them.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

yeah, but between school and work, i have very small windows where i can afford downtime on my tc. i ordered my s-pipe and paid for 3 day shipping so i would have it in time so i could have it installed with my zpi mid-pipe while on spring break. and was really bummed that i couldn't get it done because it never showed up.

this summer i will be working my @$$ off all summer long so i can be boosted a few weeks before i go back to school to make sure everything is running perfectly which once again means i'll have a very narrow time window to get the parts, and get the tc to the shop and a ride home and back when it is ready.

thanks for calling them for me, smoke. i have before on the phone and aim and they said the would throw in a shirt for me since i was being so patient, but that was weeks ago and i still haven't heard a word from them.

I'm confused...are you needing a mid pipe shipped too, or just the S-pipe? I will IM Kenny tomorrow to see what the hold up is.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thats the problem with buying from smaller companys. Most of the time smaller shops dont have everything in stock. They dont order parts untill you order them, from them. Now I know I'm going to get crap for this but thats the way it is with anything...not just tuning shops. Ive been there.....waiting on part from zpi. I think everyone has. They do however seem to be alot better but I have no need to order anything from them so I dont.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:44 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Strictly Scionized
SL Member

If anyone wants a 5 speed Turbonetics kit for the 05-06, PM me.. I have one that I need to ship out asap
Old 05-02-2007, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm confused...are you needing a mid pipe shipped too, or just the S-pipe? I will IM Kenny tomorrow to see what the hold up is.
i have the mid-pipe, been sitting in my garage since august, but i am still waiting for the s-pipe with stainless steel flanges. thanks for your concern, hope you can get better answers from kenny then what i've gotten from them so far.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

i have the mid-pipe, been sitting in my garage since august, but i am still waiting for the s-pipe with stainless steel flanges. thanks for your concern, hope you can get better answers from kenny then what i've gotten from them so far.

And you ordered both at the same time, or separate times?
Old 05-02-2007, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by RacingSolution
If anyone wants a 5 speed Turbonetics kit for the 05-06, PM me.. I have one that I need to ship out asap

MAN...I haven't seen a post from you guys at RacingSolution in.....well..Forever! How is business?

Quick Reply: turbonetics or zpi