Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbotoyotas TC turbo kits. Not in business no more!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm curious, i don't know if you own an auto or manual but on an auto, what kind of tranny work must i get done for longevity purposes?
Old 08-12-2007, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Valve body upgrade.... Or a Tranny swap! : O
Old 08-12-2007, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, i'm in a paradox situation then...

I can get an electric auto shift kit from PSC which "supposedly" prevents me from having to get a valve body upgrade kit... this piece costs ~$700.
However, ZPI does the valve body upgrade kit and can replace internal parts for the 300whp+ turbo-ers for ~$1,300.

Paradox -
ZPI is currently not allowed to accept business and if i were to obtain an electronic auto shifter, wouldn't it wear down the tranny's internals?
Old 08-12-2007, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ZPI is dead and will have some trust problems from customers if they go back in business in the near future...

I'd go for that IS300 A/T mod and simply lower the boost than normal to be on the safe side and wait till some other company makes a valve body kit.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

There's no paradox... ZPI is effectively dead at this moment and has a backlog of orders and/or refund to process.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'll get ahold of TurboToyotas on that note. If they make turbo kits far beyond the 300whp mark, Todd has got to shed some light on alternatives besides waiting on a shop to resume work.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by shizzzon
i'll get ahold of TurboToyotas on that note. If they make turbo kits far beyond the 300whp mark, Todd has got to shed some light on alternatives besides waiting on a shop to resume work.
His kits can get 250whp+ depending on which you choose. I went with the Stage 1 kit, which is the most basic he sells. With low boost, you'd push out around 250whp. I'm hoping to get around 300whp after i get a dezod turboback exhaust and a good tune. Def. talk to Todd about it, that's what he's there for!
Old 08-12-2007, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

CONGRATTS TODD!
Hope all goes well! And welcome Chase! Happy Birthday!!
Old 08-12-2007, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, Shizz,
I'm not sure which problems you are reffering to. The piping issues were solved. The leaks and stuff were install issues, and the rest of them are tuning issues. None of these have an bearing on the TT kit, or any other kit for that matter.
It does not matter if your local guy has never installed a TT kit before. What matters is if he has ever TUNED a tC before. That is my issue.

I would have run into tthese issues no matter what turbo kit I went with. The only way for ME to have avoided these issues is to have a Honda instead of a Scion! Or, of coures, drive to Cali or AZ.

Don't let my problems discourage you. My issues are unique to my area, not Todd's kit.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
OK, Shizz,
I'm not sure which problems you are reffering to. The piping issues were solved. The leaks and stuff were install issues, and the rest of them are tuning issues. None of these have an bearing on the TT kit, or any other kit for that matter.
It does not matter if your local guy has never installed a TT kit before. What matters is if he has ever TUNED a tC before. That is my issue.

I would have run into tthese issues no matter what turbo kit I went with. The only way for ME to have avoided these issues is to have a Honda instead of a Scion! Or, of coures, drive to Cali or AZ.

Don't let my problems discourage you. My issues are unique to my area, not Todd's kit.
+1, well said meaty
Old 08-12-2007, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

:D
Old 08-12-2007, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Post some 0-60MPH times dude! I wanna see the difference with stock.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will when I get a chance. My kenwood has a stop watch that is triggered by movement, so I just need my buddy to video when I hit 60 for accuracy.
What are you 0-60? Your stock, right?
Old 08-12-2007, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

7secs.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Congrats Todd!!! Let us know if you need anything for Chase! Trust me many of my friends have had kids recently and I am pretty familiar with all the baby crap.... sadly.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im 0-60 in like 2 flat tires and an oil change with diesel gas. and i still beat a stage zero in the 1/4 mile
pwn
Old 08-12-2007, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Meaty - yes, my local tuner knows tC quite well. Thanks for the input. I am still going to have to talk to Todd about the tranny upgrade and see what he says about it.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:37 PM

I agree with meaty a 100%. The problems we are facing are not due to TT kit. The kit is amazing but like meaty said, the self learning computer in the TC is pretty tough to handle and tuning by an inexperienced TC tuner is what makes it tough. Once they figure out the odds and ends on the ecu, tuning will be easy just like it is on a honda. You have to remember, we are messing with an advanced ecu in a relatively new car. Honda has been around awhile and they have had plenty of time to crunch the combos for the computer.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

since our ecus are advanced like this, will piggyback ECMs be a good enough management system or would a standalone be better for longterm use?

I know there is a big difference in price and don't know if the ECU will eventually override the piggyback ecm.
What are your guy's thoughts on that?
Old 08-12-2007, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by shizzzon
since our ecus are advanced like this, will piggyback ECMs be a good enough management system or would a standalone be better for longterm use?

I know there is a big difference in price and don't know if the ECU will eventually override the piggyback ecm.
What are your guy's thoughts on that?
there are lots and lots of cars with advanced ECUs running completely off of piggyback units. that being said, if money's not an issue, a complete standalone would be a LOT better than any piggyback you could buy.

Quick Reply: Turbotoyotas TC turbo kits. Not in business no more!