Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbotoyotas "Twin-scroll" Mani NEW PICTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrodTc
I believe twin scoll set-ups are for those running high PSI settings. It allows for a more precise control of the pressure and the like.

I'm going to have to agree with jrodTc. Only tC I know running this kind of manifold, runs 9's in the 1/4 mile.

Of course the only way to prove this statement inaccurate, is to actually test it on a built motor tC running a normal turbine and not a GT(big ****).
Old 01-11-2008, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

to each is own, i love it!
Old 01-11-2008, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
I believe twin scoll set-ups are for those running high PSI settings. It allows for a more precise control of the pressure and the like.

I'm going to have to agree with jrodTc. Only tC I know running this kind of manifold, runs 9's in the 1/4 mile.

Of course the only way to prove this statement inaccurate, is to actually test it on a built motor tC running a normal turbine and not a GT(big ****).
i think u generally see it in larger turbo implementations because u need every bit of efficiency in order to get that thing spooling. the efficiency should trickle down but how much is the question.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching
Old 01-11-2008, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The manifold looks BAD AS HELL! And so far from what i've seen with Todd's components, FORM always comes after FUNCTION...the form on this piece is SICK, so i cant wait to see how it functions! :D
Old 01-11-2008, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

shouldnt function come first then form...??? ^^^
Old 01-11-2008, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah...that's what he said! Form comes AFTER function. We've seen the form, now we're waiting to see the function.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Keeshwah

i think u generally see it in larger turbo implementations because u need every bit of efficiency in order to get that thing spooling. the efficiency should trickle down but how much is the question.
im pretty sure evo's come stock with a divided turbine housing. and they only run a 16g.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

some info i found on garretts website.

"A design feature that can be common to both manifold types is a " DIVIDED MANIFOLD" , typically employed with " DIVIDED " or "twin-scroll" turbine housings. Divided exhaust manifolds can be incorporated into either a cast or welded tubular manifolds.

The concept is to DIVIDE or separate the cylinders whose cycles interfere with one another to best utilize the engine's exhaust pulse energy.

For example, on a four-cylinder engine with firing order 1-3-4-2, cylinder #1 is ending its expansion stroke and opening its exhaust valve while cylinder #2 still has its exhaust valve open (cylinder #2 is in its overlap period). In an undivided exhaust manifold, this pressure pulse from cylinder #1's exhaust blowdown event is much more likely to contaminate cylinder #2 with high pressure exhaust gas. Not only does this hurt cylinder #2's ability to breathe properly, but this pulse energy would have been better utilized in the turbine.

The proper grouping for this engine is to keep complementary cylinders grouped together-- #1 and #4 are complementary; as are cylinders #2 and #3.

Because of the better utilization of the exhaust pulse energy, the turbine's performance is improved and boost increases more quickly."

hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

watchn.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice find, Brett!
Hey, how close are you to Jacksonville? jaxtcracer just got his TT kit running.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From a visual standpoint, I have to say I'm not really feeling that manifold.

Depending on it's price, it could be a good sale, but visually speaking...comparing it to the Full Race twin WG port manifold....I'm just not feeling that.
Well, i guess we'll have to see how it does in the multiple car shows it'll be in. I think its pretty sick, i'm SURE it'll do very well...for looks and performance!
Old 01-11-2008, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that thing is freaking AWESOME
Old 01-11-2008, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

stock evo's don't use a twin scroll setup.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

watching.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

stock evo's don't use a twin scroll setup.
i found this on some evo forum. i highlighted the important part in red.

TME is the turbo that came on the evo 6.5 tme. it has titanium aluminide turbine wheel. it has a 10.5 housing also. otheriwse the compressor is the same but revisions have been made to the newer turbine housings so this turbo is outdated at best.

[WR also known as the fp white rabbit turbo. this is simply an evo 8 turbo (05) with a larger FIVE BLADED compressor wheel installed by forced performance.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 8 AND 9 TURBO.

both have 10.5 hot side. both have unaltered turbine wheels. both use the same chra, this means you can swap and mix and match these two turbo's parts to your heart's content (tme9 plug inserted here).

the cold side is the only difference. 9 cold side housing has a larger diffuser, this is the snail section, it's both longer and wider in diameter inside, this creates a faster boost up/boost production/boost response. as a result of the added length of the snail section also known as diffuser, the overall housing is larger. the exducer of the 9 turbo is larger to fill up the space inside of the 9 housing (see below for caveats). the inducer remains relatively the same size.

the reason for br moving to 9 housing is to remove all chances of surge on his and now fp's wheel, larger housing also allows more air through even though the wheel that the 20gs are using is based off the old 8 housing which would leave exducer diameters smaller!

small things that are different. the angling of the turbo oil lines is slightly off due to the 9 housing size. the angle of the coolant line is also a bit off. these two can be bent to fit. the cold side outlet pipe is much different and you can't bend this unit to fit it between the two turbos. so the outlet elbow pipe is the only thing you need from the install kit. everything else can be bent to fit.

20g-8 or 20g8-6. this was a failure 6 bladed stock turbo that surged like ****. came as the first iteration of the failed turbochargers.com and buschur partner up.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albu...n%29%20d01.jpg

20g-9-6. this is turbochargers.com's previous and fouled venture with br. it is less efficient than the 5 blade design. also not recommended for use with ti al internals. tc.com and it's distributors have however sold these with ti al internals. the ti al internals are not real genuine oem pieces but are copies of tme style ti al wheels.

TME9. now everyone pay attention cuz i'm really quite tired of explaining what this is and no one can get it straight. the tme 9 is the ENTIRE TME 6.5 HOT SIDE mated to THE ENTIRE EVO9 COLD SIDE. that said you can make this turbo several different ways. you can get a 9 turbo and put the tme6.5 ti/al TURBINE wheel in it. or you could piece together the two halves.? or you could buy every part seperately and put it together.

JDM 9RS turbo. this turbo is special, it comes with the equivalent of a 10.5 hot side (with internals, ti/al) and a 9 cold side with the addition of a magnesium 9 compressor wheel. early runs of the jdm 9rs turbo had mag wheel failures with increased boost pressures.

this signifies that the tme9 is safe to run and will cause no surging or too-early-spool-up- issues. as the jdm 9rs turbo spools even faster with no ill effects. this also signifies a different way to piece together a tme9, basically taking a jdm 9rs turbo and replacing the mag wheel with an aluminum one.

forced performance evo green aka buschur racing 20gLT (large turbine) this turbo is basically a 20g9-5 with a larger turbine wheel made by forced performance.

thread about evo green turbo aka 20glt
SoCalEvo.net - Home

turbo dynamics is one of many uk companies which specialize in ball bearing cartridge 16g turbos. they have recently made a ball bearing 16g with the WR wheel.

SoCalEvo.net - Home

other uk shops doing ball bearing 16g turbos include essex turbo

and evo400

evo400 wrc turbo

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albu...onversions.jpg

evo400 ball bearing conversion kit

the uk turbos suffer from huge price inflations due to limited production, high amount of requisite precision work and vat plus exchange rate hikes

Evolution 1
Turbo = TDO5H–16G-7
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 7
Exhaust turbine = Inconel (steel alloy)
Compressor = Aluminium, 60mm wide

Evolution 2
Turbo = TDO5H–16G-7
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 7
Turbine = Inconel (steel alloy)
Compressor = Aluminium, 60mm wide

Evolution 3
Turbo = TD05H–16G6-7
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 7
Compressor = Aluminium, 68mm wide

Evolution 4
Turbo = TD05HR-16G6-9T
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 9

Evolution 5
Turbo = TD05HR-16G6-10.5T (GSR)
TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T (RS)
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 10.5
Turbine = Inconel (steel alloy), Titanium alloy (RS)

Evolution 6
Turbo = TD05HR-16G6-10.5T (GSR)
TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T (RS/rs2)
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 10.5
Turbine = GSR - Inconel (steel alloy), Titanium alloy (RS/RS2)

Evolution 6 : Tommi Makinen Edition
Turbo = TD05RA-15GK2-10.5T (GSR)
TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T (RS/rs2)
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 10.5
Turbine = Titanium alloy for both RS/RS2/GSR!
Compressor = Aluminium, 65mm (gsr) - 68mm(rs) wide

Evolution 7
Turbo = TD05HR-16G6-9.8T (GSR)
TD05HRA-16G6-9.8T (RS/RS2)
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 9.8
Turbine = GSR - Inconel (steel alloy), RS/Rs2=Titanium alloy

Evolution 7 GTA
Turbo = TD05-15GK2-9.0T
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 9.0
Compressor = Aluminium, 65mm wide

Evolution 8
Turbo = TD05HR-16G6-9.8T (GSR / USDM E
TD05HRA-16G6-9.8T (RS/RS2)
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 9.8
Turbine = USDM EVO 8 & JDM GSR =Inconel (steel alloy),
RS/Rs2=Titanium alloy.

Evolution MR aka "8.5"
GSR = TD05HR-16G6-10.5T or TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T (Ti Alloy option)
RS = 6MT:TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T or 5MT:TD05HRA-16G6-9.8T

Nozzle Area (cm2) = 10.5 or 9.8(RS-5speed)

All Evo 4-8 Turbos are twin scroll designs meaning that the engines exhaust is divided into two channels (see first pic). As the engine exhausts in pulses.. its supposed to result in quicker spooling. From the Evo 4 onwards, the Turbo spins in the opposite direction, i.e. Anticlockwise (hence the R in the turbo name). The Titanium Alumnide alloy used in the RS/RS2 and some GSRS (factory option) has less inertia and thus spins up around 500 rpm sooner. These Titanium turbos can be indentified by the A in their name.

note that there were revisions in the coolant passgages between the 7 and 8 turbos!!!

obvious difference in weight between the ti/al wheel and the inconel wheel.

[img width=700 height=464]http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10991/normal_62208.jpg[/img]

this is a picture of a 9.8 evo8 turbo on the left compared to a 10.5 turbo on the right. notice that the left has a dual flapper wastegate design and the 10.5 has a single flapper. please note that:

- 6.5 TME = 16g6 with Ti/Al internals and dual-flapper 10.5 cm^2 hotside
- USDM 03/04 VIII = 16g6 with dual-flapper 9.8 cm^2 hotside
- USDM 05 VIII - 16g6 with single-flapper 10.5 cm^2 hotside

also note that in japan the 9.8 was available in a single flapper but was a manufacturer's replacement item, it was never installed on any cars out of the factory.

Evolution 9
USDM & JDM = TD05HRA-16G6C-10.5T
Turbine: GSR / GT = Inconel alloy, RS = Titanium alloy
Compressor: GSR / GT = Aluminium, RS = Magnesium Alloy
(??) mm wide (to be verified.)

Nozzle Area (cm2) = 10.5 (note: to be confirmed that RS 5MT has 10.5)

RS E9 turbo part number 1515A059 (approx cost 250,000 yen from Mitsi Japan). *Warning* There are reports of RS magnesium compressor wheel failing if boosted above stock boost.

More Evo 9 Turbo info:
... * New more efficient & larger Compressor preventing compressor surge
... * Better pump gas efficiency
... * Turbine Nozzle Area (cm2) = Large 10.5 Hotside (single flapper)
... * Improve actuator design

Side by side comparison E8 v E9 turbos (E9 is on the left and E8 on the right):
Old 01-11-2008, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Only tC I know running this kind of manifold, runs 9's in the 1/4 mile.
And its using a GT4088R.............hmmm

2 things...

1- Its going to be tested soon..this car was just dyno'd with the older style manifold.
The first part of the test the only diff being the manifold
Second part of the test will be with the new style IC.....but I already know what it does

2- The divided housings are not available for a standard turbine wheel they are only available for the 84 and 90 trim Gt3071, Gt3076 and the GT35R

Has to be used with a GT turbo.......at least until Garrett gets of there but....which rumor has it might be soon

Regards-

Todd
Old 01-11-2008, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TurboToyotas
Only tC I know running this kind of manifold, runs 9's in the 1/4 mile.
And its using a GT4088R.............hmmm

2 things...

1- Its going to be tested soon..this car was just dyno'd with the older style manifold.
The first part of the test the only diff being the manifold
Second part of the test will be with the new style IC.....but I already know what it does

2- The divided housings are not available for a standard turbine wheel they are only available for the 84 and 90 trim Gt3071, Gt3076 and the GT35R

Has to be used with a GT turbo.......at least until Garrett gets of there but....which rumor has it might be soon

Regards-

Todd

Ok, just making sure that the guy who is new to turbo's won't go out and be like...."OOHHH Eye Candy", and buy it not realizing that his itty bitty turbo won't fit. Now we just hope they actaully take the time to read the information.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that looks pretty badass
id get 2 different brand wastegates haha.
or different colors
Old 01-12-2008, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, just making sure that the guy who is new to turbo's won't go out and be like...."OOHHH Eye Candy", and buy it not realizing that his itty bitty turbo won't fit. Now we just hope they actaully take the time to read the information.
That and I won't sell it to someone who doesn't understand what they are getting.

Thats why I have a "BASIK" kit, and so forth.

This manifold is not for everyone......it just intended for those who want the most out of a turbo kit.

I guess this could be my "extreme" series.

I am all for the education of the community and my customers.

I am not here just to show and say " look what I can make", yes it looks cool but there is a performance gain......which to me is the most important part.

Even the few who have posted who would consider themselves more educated than most on this forum, have shown there inexperience and lack of knowledge. Not saying thats a bad thing....but its one of the reasons why I am here and I do what I do.

Regards-

Todd

Quick Reply: Turbotoyotas "Twin-scroll" Mani NEW PICTS