Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turning boost up on stock internals

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tune plays a MASSIVE role in this.

I have been boosted for 1yr and 1 month now. Started at abotu 7.5psi, and have been daily driving at 10.5 for the last 2 months. This is on crappy 91octane fuel and no additives. Add AZ weather in there and you got a pretty rough conidition.

Car's been running great though. I've hit the rev limiter numerous times, I've even hit 12psi a few times.

If you tune it well, I'd say 10psi is ok. This is just from what I've personally experienced and what I've seen on the threads. Buy a good boost controller! If you buy a cheap one and up the boost, chances are you'll spike. If you buy a really nice unit, chances are you wont spike, and your car will last much longer.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Byta27
about 2800 rpm and yes ur right the turbo will put more strain. i understand what ur talking about. even ross at ripp explained to me how a turbo puts more stress on a engine than a supercharger.
if you dont mind me asking which dezod kit do you have? been debating on weather to go dezod, or turnonetics.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the dezod open dump kit, with the hks bov, greddy emange, rc injectors, have a full back megan oe ehxuast and modified a dump tube.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krdshrk
Originally Posted by ProshopXB
The SCer is not gonna put near the strain on the engine at 12psi that a turbo is gonna put on it.. Even if it is the same psi.. I personally wouldnt go over 8 -8.5 psi.. But if you feel the need then go with 10 as the max.. Best of luck to you Byta..
Wrong - just because the S/C is more linear with power doesn't mean there's less strain than with a turbo. PSI is PSI.

thats is incorrect info , PSI is PSI but 10 psi flowing 400cfm and 10psi flowing 250cfm makes a big difference in HP . so just because a s/c is making 10psi a decent size turbo at 10psi may be making 50 more hp .
Old 12-17-2006, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i currently run DD @ 10psi with no boost controller. I have the zpi stage 1 setup and tuned and currently the only thing i run on it is a boost gauge. Havnt gotten around to upgrade and add AFR EGT so on so forth. I have had no problems with the car being daily driven and its coming up on a year for the kit being installed on it. to each's own but in my opinion you will have no problem at 10psi with a safe tune.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:26 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I personally don't plan on upping the boost until i can rebuild with pistons and rods. I hear Ripp Mods is the shiznit (lol) in terms of tuning, so at 10lbs with a great tune you should be square for now.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

2 tC grenaded motors for me. One tuned with a Greddy ProFec II boost con. that spiked on me which crack two ring landings and smash another. The other, 10 psi untuned which threw a rod.. crack the block in half. Now tuning is key here being I have the Turbonetics kit (all kits are pretty much the same) but really just check to make sure of the reliability and Customer service. Unichip is 100% user-unfriendly in AZ being NO ONE can tune it. Turbonetics has that great "You break it we'll fix it" warranty. DEZOD has excellent customer service so it really is preference after that. I just want to point out that I built my motor to withstand an great deal of power because after seeing these tC motors open, it an econo car nothing more nothing less. A really great looking econo car so I just wanted to make it fast lol. Weak rods and pistons are the weakest link so replace with Forged rods some sick lower compression pistons and better bearings and you have a boost reliable motor. Now for tuned daily drivers like Joe it proves the kit is good (being his is on for a year plus now) and a great tuner so make sure you tune it but from personal experience... stay under/at 10psi lol
Old 12-19-2006, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nu_ERA
2 tC grenaded motors for me. One tuned with a Greddy ProFec II boost con. that spiked on me which crack two ring landings and smash another. The other, 10 psi untuned which threw a rod.. crack the block in half. Now tuning is key here being I have the Turbonetics kit (all kits are pretty much the same) but really just check to make sure of the reliability and Customer service. Unichip is 100% user-unfriendly in AZ being NO ONE can tune it. Turbonetics has that great "You break it we'll fix it" warranty. DEZOD has excellent customer service so it really is preference after that. I just want to point out that I built my motor to withstand an great deal of power because after seeing these tC motors open, it an econo car nothing more nothing less. A really great looking econo car so I just wanted to make it fast lol. Weak rods and pistons are the weakest link so replace with Forged rods some sick lower compression pistons and better bearings and you have a boost reliable motor. Now for tuned daily drivers like Joe it proves the kit is good (being his is on for a year plus now) and a great tuner so make sure you tune it but from personal experience... stay under/at 10psi lol
agreed. at or under 10 psi on stock internals.