Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Is twincharge possible on the tC??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Is twincharge possible on the tC??

Now that all options are on the table ie. Dezod, TT, TRD, Greddy, Turbonetics etc. Is it possible to use the TRD s/c (7psi) for low to mid followed by a "Backyard Brawler" for the high rpms?

Both kits seem to be able to fit in the bay considering the log manifold that is being used by Todd. Ceramic coat the manifold or heatwrap the s/c shaft just for added heat management seems likely.

Only issue I'm not sure would be 1) the routing for the oil supply to both compressor housing + oil return line for both housings back to the oil pan 2) the air intake orientation for both compressors 3) the overlapping of psi during mid-range rpm from both blowers

It might sound stupid for some but just out of curiosity....... If doable, this would be a kick ___ car just like the Golf GT, just more powerful

Any inputs? Anyone?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Banned
SL Member

Search Twincharged....

AND you spelled TIRE wrong in your signature... TIRE not TYRE!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it is possible to twincharged your tC with a Supercharger and a Turbocharger. One company did it. Is it worth it? So far it's not worth it yet.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:14 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

possible? uhm.. yeah

actually.. the particular car is on sale right now as well:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=210742

here's a pic from that thread
Old 03-12-2008, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pointless in my opinion! my wife's tc has a Greddy kit, and makes more power than that twin charged car ... waste of money
Old 03-12-2008, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

totally pointless, needlessly complicated, hoplessly ineffective...

the turbo spools up before the supercharger does.

it was never done as a maximum performance setup, it was done as an OHHH and AWWEE show car to just get attention at shows.

don't think they ever released dyno numbers or track times because they would have probably been very embarissing.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you're right. After seeing the pic, it looks like a huge mess and fugly.

It would probably run into quite a bit of tuning issues, hence potentially producing lower #s than a well tuned turbo kit.

You'll probably need a magnetic clutch to engage/disengage the supercharger in order to work seamlessly with the turbo.

ok, scrap the idea and carry on boosting the regular way

PS: tyre is spelt that way in United Kingdom where I was educated, differs from US spelling sorry about that when I was typing it
Old 03-13-2008, 05:05 AM
SL Member

possible yes, efficient no
Old 03-14-2008, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what kinda battery is that in the pic?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For all the stuff they had to pack into the engine bay I would say it's fairly impressive. I know a guy successfully twincharged an Evo with significant power and the thing looks insane. He did most of the fabrication himself. None the less I would consider this fairly impressive (engineering wise). I believe the car is hideous in and of itself (wing, graphics, hood, exhaust, body kit) are just not my style.

However you build the motor on that..and you could be pushing some significantly bigger numbers. The GT40 is definitely going to put out more than the stock motor can handle. Just like one of the guys on here said, it was definitely built more for the show/eye catching attention. And what better way to advertise your company.

Pretty cool though.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member

just out of curiosity, has anyone tried a twin turbo setup? would it even be possible?
Old 03-20-2008, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

For the turbo options available for the tC, they will be more than sufficient for what the motor can handle. Twincharging is possible, I was looking at it as an option for the xB. it is not the most efficient or cheapest route to go, see the post here for my musings:

Anyone Ever Twincharge an xB

I was looking at pairing a Greddy S/C and Turbo since space-wise they would bolt up together and could be ran with the turbo feeding the S/C since it is a positive-displacement blower. The problem would be the weakness of the 1NZ-FE and drivetrain, and being able to tune it. I don't think eManage blue would be up to the task and would need a stand-alone, so bye-bye traction control and ABS and safety features.

VW uses a twincharge setup factory on their Golf GT in Australia, and there are aftermarket options for it on the Mini. It works much better with a roots setup than the centrifigal blower the TRD S/C uses.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just out of curiosity, has anyone tried a twin turbo setup? would it even be possible?
Yes and Yes. Its not really practical, but when you want something that looks bad @#$ well two is better than one

I was looking at pairing a Greddy S/C and Turbo since space-wise they would bolt up together and could be ran with the turbo feeding the S/C since it is a positive-displacement blower. The problem would be the weakness of the 1NZ-FE and drivetrain, and being able to tune it. I don't think eManage blue would be up to the task and would need a stand-alone, so bye-bye traction control and ABS and safety features.
If you were to "twin charge" an 1nz you need to build the motor.

You wouldn't want to use the Greddy s/c unless you get the AITs way down as the extra hot air is going to kill the rotors in the S/C rather quickly. They are the size they are for a reason.

You could go custom...ie turbo and a rotrex...biut kind of useless other than to say "you made it work".

Just depends on what your goals are for the motor. Properly size a single turbo and you would be suprised on your results. You just need to follow up with the rest of the equation :

Good Turbo manifold
Good intake manifold/tb setup
Really good headwork and valvetrain

Have fun

Regards-

Todd
Old 03-20-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If Rotrex coupled with the Antonov gear drive system could be adapted to work on the tC engine...... That I think would be bad a$$

If I had a choice..... I would be hardpressed to decide on the reworked Rotrex C81 vs Variable Geometry Turbo.

Too bad Borg Warner or AeroDyne does not offer the VGT for the aftermarket
Old 03-20-2008, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AeroDyne does not offer the VGT for the aftermarket
Yes they do...working on vertical twin setup

Regards-

Todd
Old 03-20-2008, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks Todd, wasn't wanting to thread jack so was trying to keep it brief. Understand what you were saying about IAT, in all practicality would have ended up swapping an MP62 for the MP45 or going with a smaller pulley. bigger blower would be preferred since belt slippage was already an issue and going with a smaller pulley would make that worse.

back on topic, single turbo is still the most cost efficient and easiest way to go, with just as much or better gains then a twincharge setup.