Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

UPDATE: going to dyno tomorrow; results posted

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

ill have to look into the belt but im still curious how you can see that by looking at the dyno.

Also what makes you think 3" is too big when people with FI on our cars and other cars are making more power with 3" exhaust. Also I talked to my tuner about it who has built dozens of low psi to high psi boosted applications and in his experience 3" always yeilds better gains.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well, im not sure an upgraded BPV is going to net you gains, it will hold the boost better throughout the powerband.

i think the main problem with the TRD BPV was that it wasnt holding boost at a lower RPM, but had no problem holding it at a higher RPM. If i'm wrong correct me.

What i am sure about, is a 3inch exhaust with forced induction is going to yield better gains. When going NA, too much lose of backpressure can hurt you.

Also, 225whp seems to be right on the money

9.8 X 9psi = 88hp

so... 130whp + 90whp = 220whp.

and of course, we have to take into account that not everything in the real world is perfect, so maybe...

1bar (9. X 9spi = 78 whp.

Plus his supporting mods

225whp seems perfect.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OutCrnrU
i have the umnitza intake but i think that does about as much as the stock airbox would, looks pretty though haha. after doing the s-pipe i wouldnt be surprised if my missing power isnt from the 3 inch exhaust.

But its like i said and what i still cant figure out is why i only got 13hp from the pulley when ZPI claims 21 on the stock exhaust, seems kinda funny to me but oh well life moves on
The belt has to be slipping, I have the same setup except a modded K&N CAI and my autometer nexus gagues tell me I hit 10psi at around 5000rpms and sometimes it looks like the needle is a little past 10spi. I should hook the controller up to my laptop and get the exact numbers, the replay feature on these gauges is just awesome!
Old 02-04-2006, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You need to get video of that or something, there is almost no way you are reaching 10psi at 5000 rpm... That would mean that at about 6200 you would be around 12psi...

As for the exhaust size... On a S/Ced setup it really shouldnt matter at all how big your exhaust is because you dont need the back pressure on a S/C setup.. For a Turbo setup it is good for spooling purposes, but on the Belt Driven S/C it wont matter, the more air that you can let out, the better... But you still have to get the air in...
Old 02-04-2006, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would have to disagree with some of you about 3" being too big. the supercharger is designed for top end power, im willing to sacrafice 2-3 lbs of torque to gain some top end power with better air flow, but hey everyone is titled to their opinions.

desertheat- how would i be able to tell by driving the car that the belt was slipping, im very interested in this matter and how i might fix it if there is a problem

I agree that with some tuning the numbers would be a lot better, also with some form of cooling agent as well, ie intercooler. im not dissapointed in the numbers themselves, im dissapointed in not seeing the numbers ZPI claimed it would put out, maybe someone from there end might have some input.

Thanks for the comments
Top end is great, i'm a top end guy myself but 3'' piping on a 2.4l is too big, even if you do want top end.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is all going to depend on how much boost you are planning to run. If you are eventually going to go with 12lbs or more, I would get larger exhaust... 2.5-3" is going to be fine, prolly not much different, but so far I have the 3" and am pushing 227 and 197, we will see what I hit with the Header.. then we can see what other people are getting and go from there.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

224whp is a perfect number for the mods he has guys. Some of you are trying to make excuses, yes the 3'' piping is a little large but its not going to eat that much whp or wtq away. The belt is probably slipping, which should be fixed but again wouldn't be 20whp increase either.

Stock tc with only s/c is around 185whp

His tC is 224whp. Thats a 39whp increase, ZPI claims just say 20whp. Thats puts his tc around 205whp. That leaves 19whp for the rest of the mods, then you take into effect the fact you can't figure whp by each mod for the fact they all work together as one machine. So 224whp i'd say is very respectable with the mods he has. Its also a great number for a daily driven tc.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by mr_lore
i have the umnitza intake but i think that does about as much as the stock airbox would, looks pretty though haha. after doing the s-pipe i wouldnt be surprised if my missing power isnt from the 3 inch exhaust.

But its like i said and what i still cant figure out is why i only got 13hp from the pulley when ZPI claims 21 on the stock exhaust, seems kinda funny to me but oh well life moves on
The belt has to be slipping, I have the same setup except a modded K&N CAI and my autometer nexus gagues tell me I hit 10psi at around 5000rpms and sometimes it looks like the needle is a little past 10spi. I should hook the controller up to my laptop and get the exact numbers, the replay feature on these gauges is just awesome!

Sorry but your gauge is broken to he*l if your hitting 10 psi at 5K rpm *LOL* sorry man not going to happen. Most likley you hooked up the nexus boost gauge wrong... as in put the ignition lead to an ignition wire that goes to open when the car is cranking. They read goofy if you hook them up that way. They have to see a 12V constant ignition source when the car is cranking.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HighlanderMac
It is all going to depend on how much boost you are planning to run. If you are eventually going to go with 12lbs or more, I would get larger exhaust... 2.5-3" is going to be fine, prolly not much different, but so far I have the 3" and am pushing 227 and 197, we will see what I hit with the Header.. then we can see what other people are getting and go from there.
well hurry up and get a header already.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances
224whp is a perfect number for the mods he has guys. Some of you are trying to make excuses, yes the 3'' piping is a little large but its not going to eat that much whp or wtq away. The belt is probably slipping, which should be fixed but again wouldn't be 20whp increase either.

His tC is 224whp. Thats a 39whp increase, ZPI claims just say 20whp. Thats puts his tc around 205whp. That leaves 19whp for the rest of the mods, then you take into effect the fact you can't figure whp by each mod for the fact they all work together as one machine. So 224whp i'd say is very respectable with the mods he has. Its also a great number for a daily driven tc.

I guess you missed this post....

Originally Posted by JT_Scion
That would be me. Dyno'd 195 before the pulley. 217 after.
He dynoed 195, not 185 and then added a ZPI pulley to reach 217. That's a difference of 22whp on the pulley alone. So, don't act like there isn't something a little off. He should be slightly higher than 224whp not by much, but still higher.

I won't have this let down, because I'm going turbo to begin with.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

I guess you missed this post....

Originally Posted by JT_Scion
That would be me. Dyno'd 195 before the pulley. 217 after.
He dynoed 195, not 185 and then added a ZPI pulley to reach 217. That's a difference of 22whp on the pulley alone. So, don't act like there isn't something a little off. He should be slightly higher than 224whp not by much, but still higher.

I won't have this let down, because I'm going turbo to begin with.
Like i said before, if he replaced the 3'' s-pipe with a 2.5'' s-pipe, he would have a slight gain with whp and he would more than likely increase 10wtq.

Also, one person dyno'd 195whp with nothing else done. Amazing, i've seen two actual sheets of stock tcs with just the s/c, both dyno'd between 185whp-190whp but never broke 190's. I might also point out, there are quite a few people on here, with h/e s/c set ups not breaking 200whp, which also goes with the 180's and not 190's.

Every thread you try to prove me wrong in something, i never said nothing was off. If you read my post you would see i said the 3'' s-pipe is pretty large, and the belt could be slipping. Both replacing both of those like you said, the gains would be very small. Probably still be in the 220's. You are arguing with me the difference of up to 5whp? Give me a break.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Like i said before, if he replaced the 3'' s-pipe with a 2.5'' s-pipe, he would have a slight gain with whp and he would more than likely increase 10wtq.

Also, one person dyno'd 195whp with nothing else done. Amazing, i've seen two actual sheets of stock tcs with just the s/c, both dyno'd between 185whp-190whp but never broke 190's. I might also point out, there are quite a few people on here, with h/e s/c set ups not breaking 200whp, which also goes with the 180's and not 190's.

Every thread you try to prove me wrong in something, i never said nothing was off. If you read my post you would see i said the 3'' s-pipe is pretty large, and the belt could be slipping. Both replacing both of those like you said, the gains would be very small. Probably still be in the 220's. You are arguing with me the difference of up to 5whp? Give me a break.
Did someone put salt instead of sugar in your coffee this morning? No one was arguing bro, chill out. I was just merely stating that he could see a little more gain if he did do the suggestions that people were making. I was just trying to confirm it for you. Where you say these #'s were "Acceptable", I was just saying, he could definitely squeeze out more by dropping down to a 2.5" instead of the 3" he has. Because that's what we are all about RIGHT....Squeezing every last Drop of HP out of the mods we have?

That's all son, nothing more, nothing less...

PS...Trust me, I have bitten my tounge on some of your comments more than I care to remember.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

Did someone put salt instead of sugar in your coffee this morning? No one was arguing bro, chill out. I was just merely stating that he could see a little more gain if he did do the suggestions that people were making. I was just trying to confirm it for you. Where you say these #'s were "Acceptable", I was just saying, he could definitely squeeze out more by dropping down to a 2.5" instead of the 3" he has. Because that's what we are all about RIGHT....Squeezing every last Drop of HP out of the mods we have?

That's all son, nothing more, nothing less...

PS...Trust me, I have bitten my tounge on some of your comments more than I care to remember.
Everything you are saying though, is something i had already said as far as the s-pipe goes. Yes, we are all about making more whp but the way it sounded, at least to me, was it would make the difference of like 20whp and 224 is just way too low. Maybe i misread what you were saying, i dont know.

To me, 224whp is right on the money. Yes, you could do a few things a possibly squeeze out another 5-7whp but thats not a big enough difference to be able to tell. 224-230whp in that range, to me, is dead on. It could be a little more, but like i said before, 5whp isn't even worth worrying about. Especially when you talk about completely re-doing the S-pipe for. To be honest, he shouldn't have gone with 3'' to start with so thats his mistake. His intensions were well, don't get me wrong but yeah.

Also, i'm sure you have held back on some of my comments. But i think basically hijacking an entire si-tc thread is enough for the community. People were talking about the name being changed to rythmnsmoke vs. killerxromances i mean.. You actually have to try to accomplish that.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't care for a lot of the crap that was going on in the si/tC thread, but Killerxromances posts in this thread so far have not been derogatory or critical really at all & I respect that. Let's stop this where it is, so we don't ruin another thread. Going back to killer's original post, he was giving credit to the OP, basically saying good work & that he should be proud of those #s.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BreakTheStatic
I didn't care for a lot of the crap that was going on in the si/tC thread, but Killerxromances posts in this thread so far have not been derogatory or critical really at all & I respect that. Let's stop this where it is, so we don't ruin another thread. Going back to killer's original post, he was giving credit to the OP, basically saying good work & that he should be proud of those #s.
None of my posts on the si threads, or this one have been derogatory, maybe some of you guys read my posts out to be that way. But when discussing the tC, i have always stated i respect it.

Now as for this thread, yes, my posts have been talking about just that. 224whp is a respectable number given the mods he has. While a 3'' s-pipe is rather large, its not going to change it to an extreme number. However, i think it would help in the torque area the most. Which, most tC owners perfer torque over anything so yeah. The belt could be slipping, but i don't know. I've heard a few stories on that, some say the belts are fine some say it slips. Either way, you should swap belts. You should also upgrade the clutch too if you haven't already.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

oh damn.... to i sense a rhthmnsmoke vs killerxromances again???

nah jk guys

People were talking about the name being changed to rythmnsmoke vs. killerxromances
i believe that was me haha
Old 02-05-2006, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC

nah jk guys

People were talking about the name being changed to rythmnsmoke vs. killerxromances
Nope, i think your senses are off. The last one got old fast, and about 1/3rd of the way through it was boring.

Anyway, 224whp...yeah.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if this post train was back on the tracks; the dyno numbers are still strong for the mods done, and seem comparable to others with somewhat similar set ups ( but these aren't IROC cars, so even with the same mods, there can/will be some slight variations from car to car ). Maybe the belt is an issue, maybe the exhaust diameter could affect it, or even the temp/humidity when tests were ran ( sorry, but up here in WI i have no idea on CA weather ). Sometimes even with all the info available to the user, there is still some trial and error to find that right "package" or set up that works on that car, for that driver.
I'd say he's pretty close, and with some tweaking might just hit the numbers he's hoping for. I'd be curious, knowing the traction problems with just the sc, what you guys are doing ( with the extra 20-30 +/- hp/tq over our ride ) to get solid starts off the line... i wouldn't think just tires would make that much of a difference on a front driver, but who knows....
Old 02-05-2006, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

im not going to say who is right or who is wrong and i really appreciate everyones comments. Im going to stick with a 3" setup becasue from my experience and the experience of others it has only gained power, not lost power. But im done with that argument until someone can prove that its too big, not just stating an opinion.

Anyway regardless whether the belt is slipping im still going to change it tomorrow, i think that may be the reason why im not hitting 9psi, we will see.

I guess to clear some things up i should explain my goals for the car. My ulitmate HP goal is 250whp and torque im looking for around 200, but like i said earlier im looking for more top end. My only other plans are an intercooler to get the temps down and some fine tuning of the ecu, and i think i should be able to obtain my goals.

Again i really appreciate everyones opinions and i understand there are a lot of knowledgeable people here, all with different outlooks and experiences. overall i am happy with my overall output, my only dissapointment was not seeing the gains from the pulley that other people have been seeing, but that could be due to belt slippage possibly caused buy the warmer and more humid climate, or simple differences from car to car and pulley to pulley who knows. if i feel any differences or see any differences in the gauge after doing the belt i will let you all know

thanks again
Old 02-05-2006, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC

nah jk guys

Nope, i think your senses are off. The last one got old fast, and about 1/3rd of the way through it was boring.

Anyway, 224whp...yeah.

....we should just take it to the track and get it over with...

Anyhow, OutCrnrU, keep up the good work man. Tweak around, and see what you can come up with. Good luck, and God Speed.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: going to dyno tomorrow; results posted