Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

upgrades or trade-in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member

Default upgrades or trade-in?

I have acquired the means to purchase about 6k worth of upgrades for the tc. Wondering if I should dump it into this car and go with the greddy kit among other items or if I should trade the car in for something more powerful or something different altogether.

Any thoughts on this? Not sure what to get per se. But IF I did trade it would have to be something that I can mod up performance wise if it doesnt already come that way. Max I would go is 30k and that is pushing it.

Wierd post, and its a power question, so I think this is the right spot. Thanks guys!
Old 06-11-2006, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: upgrades or trade-in?

Originally Posted by aitrus
I have acquired the means to purchase about 6k worth of upgrades for the tc. Wondering if I should dump it into this car and go with the greddy kit among other items or if I should trade the car in for something more powerful or something different altogether.

Any thoughts on this? Not sure what to get per se. But IF I did trade it would have to be something that I can mod up performance wise if it doesnt already come that way. Max I would go is 30k and that is pushing it.

Wierd post, and its a power question, so I think this is the right spot. Thanks guys!
Ultimately, its your decision. There are some bamf cars availabele for around $30K. But theres nothing sweeter than mopping the floor with a car that costs about $10k more than yours
Old 06-11-2006, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ you choice if it were me.. id would trade in for VW GTI, Acura RSX Type S, or Subaru WRX TR
Old 06-11-2006, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you purely want speed, acceleration, or w/e go with one of those ^

If you want speed, acceleration, and what not in a car that will more likely than not get you little to no respect BEFORE you embarass them then stick with the tc and boost it. It's a fun thing like ryno said.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep the tC. It's worth having around for a while, especially because of your special edition color. Since you're already thinking abou traidng it in, obviously it stands to assume that you'll want to trade/sell eventually. Go with a supercharger. Skip the turbo.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member

Well if I hold onto it, there is no way I can s/c. Id have to turbo. My choice here is between the zpi or the greddy.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member

Actually, I should say I considered the s/c. But my biggest fear is that it wont provide the power I would like. And 3k for 30horse is kind of lame. ZPI stage 0 and Greddy offer 75+ horse for less money.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:42 PM
SL Member

keep the tc cuz rs1 is NICE!
n jus turbo it wit the Zpi stage 1 or dezod
Old 06-11-2006, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member

Well I wanted to go Greddy or ZPI 0 for the money factor. That way I can get other mods that I want.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:55 PM
SL Member

i didnt hear much bout greddy but i knw zpi is jus like the bare nesescities
Old 06-12-2006, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Greater Fun factor when you choose force induction. Its worth the upgrade. Plus, you'll have a big smile on your face as the BOV whistles through every gear!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member

The stage 0 is bare necessities? Maybe Im lost but the stage 0 is 230ish horses. Thats not too shabby. Thing is that is right about where I want to be. Plus a lil more with other mods.

Im not looking to overhaul the tc like some and get super power out of it. Its my daily driver. Will never see a track or a race except those I do at stop lights

So for me personally, the stage 0 or greddy kits plus other mods and I will be closing in on the 300 gap was my plan.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm planning on trading my tC in and get 2007 Si next year. i'm just satisfied with the tC's performance. i'd rather have something that has good performance out of the box instead of something that i have to change every part of just to have performance. i'm mostly talking about the handling department. i drove someone's si the other day, and man, it handles very well! i was pleased. came back to my tC and it almost feels like a chore to drive

not sure if my opinion helps since you seem to be big on modding, where as i'm not. i just like out of the box stuff with minor mods.

for 30k there is a lot of cars out there. these kind of questions is really up to you. some love their tC to death and just want to mod the hell out of them, some want something that's faster, better handling and etcs...

since the rsx type S was mentioned earlier, how well is that car's performance? i'm assumming the numbers are near identical to the new si. 1/4mile, 0-60 wise...
i'm planning on test driving it this week.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:22 AM
5 Year Member

Actually Im quite like you. I dont mind modding a tad, but Id prefer to have it already done out of the box. I dunno if I could go with a civic si. I think status plays a larger role for me. And when someone might ask what type of car I drive, saying a honda civic would be embarassing to me

But I like the tC and Im thinking of adding the boost. If I got rid of it, Id go back to v8s. I miss my cobra and the GTO is just flat sexy. Or a 350z, is350. But till that day comes, Im thinking of just boosting the tC and hoping it will make the car more enjoyable for me in the performance department.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It 100% depends on you. Do you really like working on your car and modding it? If so then dump the money in the tC. The idea behind being a person that just loves to tweak and tune on stuff is to start with a strong base that doesnt max your budget and mod from there.

If you just want out of the box performance, then just buy it.

Personally, if I had the Si I would just want to mod it in some way or another. And if I wanted an out of the box sports car I would just save my money and buy a real one to start with... that had rwd or awd and a LOT more power. The civic, rsx-s, base rsx, etc are FAR from being sports cars to begin with as well. And trust me, in a year kids owning the Si will be b!tching cause it doesnt have 250 hp factory and will be expecting more for under 20k.