Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

To use or not to use "Engine Restor & Lubricant"

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default To use or not to use "Engine Restor & Lubricant"

The Story
-I didnt know where to post this but i thought id throw it in the FI section for now since i am boosted. Anyways, ive been boosted for over a year and the motor was all good till last month. I was redlineing in 3rd gear and shifted to 2nd instead of 3rd by accident. I dont know what the rpm's hit because it went past 8000rpm wich is as high as the rpm gauge shows. To my surprise i didnt throw a rod or spin any bearings or had any valves bend from possible valve floating. But i did wear down the engine from doing it. After some testing. I found that my rings are going out or maybe the cylinder walls got scored cause my compression ratios arnt what they use to be. Also after hooking up a vacuum gauge, I found that my vacuum fluctates by ~4in.hg. on a warm motor wich i was told could be due to worn valve guides. Also the motor now has some bad blow-by. Ever since iv been babeing the motor by keeping the rpms down and not ever seeing boost not even a pound. Im planing on getting a dezod short block and pressing in new valve guides and resurfacing the head somewhere between july and august but i want the motor to for sure last till then since its my daily driver and only car.
-Ive seen the commercials about restore and read some reviews and checked out the Restore website to see how it works and everything sounds good about it. Havent ever heard anything bad about it and for many people that have tried it, they claim it works. Im wanting to try this to hopefully keep the car running till i do the overhaul but am not sure if i should.
The Question
-Do ya think this stuff will work.
More Important Question -Since it claims to fill in the scratches and stuff, would there be some kind of build up somewhere like in the vvti cam or the oil pump or something that could make overhauling call for mandatory replacements of these items? Or maybe it can be cleaned out and reused?

Let me hear your thoughts on this guys. Also input from professional engine builders would be nice for those of you that are here. Maybe Dezod can throw in their input if they run into this thread. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Directly from Restore's site
How does RESTORE work?
RESTORE is the only product that contains the technologically advanced CSL formulation which actually fills in and seals microscopic leaks in the cylinder wall. The result is increased engine compression and more engine power.
Does RESTORE increase the motor oil viscosity?
No, RESTORE does not change the viscosity of the motor oil
Is RESTORE safe to use in my engine?
Yes, RESTORE is an EP lubricant that enhances lubrication of your engine.
That means better protection against engine wear than you can get from using plain motor oil or motor oil containing other types of additives.
In addition, RESTORE cleans inside the engine to remove dirt & sludge buildup and with regular use keeps your engine clean.
It is important to note that RESTORE does not contain polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP), chlorinated paraffins, naphthalene, xylene, acetone, isopropanol, sulphur compounds, or any other chemicals which could potentially harm the engine.

Last edited by a-mendoza; 04-16-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres only 1 way to fix ur motor
Old 04-16-2010, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

most of that stuff just makes the oil thicker which can raise oil pressure a little. not sure what all that brand has in it but barr's "no smoke" is pretty much the same thing.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
most of that stuff just makes the oil thicker which can raise oil pressure a little. not sure what all that brand has in it but barr's "no smoke" is pretty much the same thing.
well see thats what i had figured too but their site clearly states that it does not change the viscosity of the oil. It says thats how other brands of stuff work but that Restore uses Advance CSL to fills in the microscopic leaks
Old 04-16-2010, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trd07tc
theres only 1 way to fix ur motor
I already know that. Thats why im planinig on going with a built motor. I just need a temporary patch for now
Old 04-16-2010, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no such thing exists
Old 04-16-2010, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no such thing exists
well if restore works the way it claims it does by restoring compression then i would consider it a patch.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why post on here asking a question if you already have all the answers

use it and let me know how it works out for you
Old 04-16-2010, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why post on here asking a question if you already have all the answers

use it and let me know how it works out for you
Well buddy i dont have the answers that im looking for thats why i posted here.

-Do ya think this stuff will work.
-Since it claims to fill in the scratches and stuff, would there be some kind of build up somewhere like in the vvti cam or the oil pump or something that could make overhauling call for mandatory replacements of these items?

You answered the first one by pretty much saying its not going to work but maybe you should take a look at my secound question. This is why i asked for some professional help although your opinion is much appreciated. The secound question is what basically will determine if i use it or not.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like trashed ring landings many of us have been there And no, it wont really help, when it happened to me I tried a few of these products (of course not at the same time - changed oil between them) but none helped the blowby - these will just help with minor ring wear, not cracked landings.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^Thanks for your input sir. Hopefully you got your problems fixed with a rebuilt or new engine. If so, did using this product do damage to other parts of your motor such as the vvti acctuator or any kind of build up from using these products?
Old 04-16-2010, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Helped in my 88 chevy. Stopped the smoking from valve seals, and seemed to smooth out motor. But this car is a different beast.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^Iv been reading from others that this stuff worked for them on other cars an apparantly it worked for your chevy as well. still i have never heard from a scion owner yet. My main concern is still my secound question though. ANy one got any input on that?
Old 04-16-2010, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that ____ is for high mileage slight engine wear

u did damage this ____ will not work for you at all
Old 04-16-2010, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

After re reading your post, my only thing I would be worried about is since the oil
cools the turbo. But like i said, I have used this in a chevy 350 with bad valve seals and a worn out motor(at least 100-150K).

Over revving a motor has some crazy effects, and is impossible to tell what happened exactly without ripping it open.

Now you say your compression numbers are not where they are supposed to be, what are they?

you say the vacuum fluctuates, but between what numbers? and are you sure the a/c any high output electrical(such as the fans which turn themselves on!!) is activated?

Get back to us with compression numbers, conditions of plugs, and idle vacuum readings(#'s).

Either way restore is not gonna "fix" the motor, but might patch it for a few weeks.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that ____ is for high mileage slight engine wear

u did damage this ____ will not work for you at all
-Well actually i didnt do damage. Damage would be blown head gasket, spun rod, broken rod, etc. wich i did not do. I wore out the valve guides and rings and/or possibly cylinder walls. That is engine wear not damage.
-As for the high mileage, what do you consider high mileage cause mine is already at over 100k miles.

Originally Posted by 3min3m2
After re reading your post, my only thing I would be worried about is since the oil
cools the turbo. But like i said, I have used this in a chevy 350 with bad valve seals and a worn out motor(at least 100-150K).

Over revving a motor has some crazy effects, and is impossible to tell what happened exactly without ripping it open.

Now you say your compression numbers are not where they are supposed to be, what are they?

you say the vacuum fluctuates, but between what numbers? and are you sure the a/c any high output electrical(such as the fans which turn themselves on!!) is activated?

Get back to us with compression numbers, conditions of plugs, and idle vacuum readings(#'s).

Either way restore is not gonna "fix" the motor, but might patch it for a few weeks.
Compressions are pretty low
-Cyl. 1 -- 155
-Cyl. 2 -- 145
-Cyl. 3 -- 155
-Cyl. 4 -- 145
A new 2azfe should read about 189 and the minimum for a good motor is 145. As you can see im pretty much right on border line.
-Spark plugs look normal.
-Vacuum's read ~19-20in.hg. on cold engine wich is normal for my location. Once engine is warmed up, vacuum's fluctuate ~4in.hg. at idle and at any cruising speed. Only when i hit WOT will it stop fluctating and hit 0 when the turbo was taken off the car.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well Some fluctuation is normal, just making sure nothing is kicking on to cause it. Four seems like a lot.

Yeah compression is really low...I say try it, if ur getting new motor anyways.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea but im just getting a new block and rebuild the head to factory specs. I want to use it but id like to reuse some stuff like the vvti actuator but dont know if this stuff could ruin it and call for replacement of it by using this stuff. Any input?
Old 04-17-2010, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Be honest your beyond my scope of understanding to give u a confident answer. But I don't think it will.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i cant seem to find any bad reviews from using this stuff anywhere so im gonna go ahead and give it a shot on my next oil change wich is coming up soon. Ill update as time goes to let ya know if this improved my engine in any way so people in the future will know weather to use this stuff on their ride or not. I hate to be the test car for this but with the wear the motor has already, i might as well just do it. Ill be pulling the turbo off again till the build just incase the motor dies on me, i can at least save the turbo.

Quick Reply: To use or not to use "Engine Restor & Lubricant"