Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

used SC

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Default used SC

for $2200 im thinking about getting a used supercharger with about 8000 miles on it,some pulleys and the carbon fiber boost gauge that goes into ur center cubby. that is definitly worth it right???? and if anyone knows the best magazine to read so i can get up on my knowledge with cars lemme know....thnks
Old 11-19-2006, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: used SC

2800 is cost.

il rather get the greddy kit for that price
Old 11-19-2006, 09:16 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Read up on the site and familiarize yourself with the s/c before committing to it.

Best advice i can give you in terms of gaining knowledge is just go out there and surround yourself with it.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If you read a magazine, chances are you will learn nothing. You need to get out there with someone who knows what they are doing and start helping out with doing some work.

8000 mile supercharger for $2200? Nah. Don't do it. Save a bit more and go turbo...or if you really want the supercharger, then buy a new one.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yeah, I would buy it for 1800 probably, but just go turbo.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
sIcKsCiOnS

but i thought it was that the turbos really havent been mastered and been blowin up motors left and right??????
Old 11-20-2006, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by iampaui
but i thought it was that the turbos really havent been mastered and been blowin up motors left and right??????
If you take some time and look through the posts in this section, you will see there are many more faulty superchargers than turbo kits. If a turbo'ed engine blows, 9 times out of 10 it is because the owner didn't know what they were doing and didn't do the research before going F/I. You should do A LOT of research before committing to F/I so that you know what is involved.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im selling mine soon offering lower price then 22oo
Old 11-20-2006, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
sIcKsCiOnS

yeah but this kids also installing it too........why u getting rid of yours???
Old 11-20-2006, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
sIcKsCiOnS

yeah but this kids also installing it too........why u getting rid of yours???
Old 11-20-2006, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

cuz it's poo? I dunno. They tend to have problems if they are not installed spot on.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
sIcKsCiOnS

true i hear ya.....then why would i buy it hahahha./......u goin turbo?
Old 11-20-2006, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

me? um. no I will probably get another car. the tC is a bit small, and I have had a bunch of other problems as well as the supercharger bearing going out on me. So...I believe it is soon time to move on.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

selling mine cuz my license points looks like a basketball games
Old 11-21-2006, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for $2200 im thinking about getting a used supercharger with about 8000 miles on it,some pulleys and the carbon fiber boost gauge that goes into ur center cubby. that is definitly worth it right???? and if anyone knows the best magazine to read so i can get up on my knowledge with cars lemme know....thnks
I'm selling mine with a new blower and pulleys for $2000!!! Whay would you want a used s/c when the one I'm selling will have the 3yr/36k mile warranty???
Old 11-21-2006, 10:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you also should consider that there will be more people who will post problems than praises for the sc.

not everybody who bought the sc will post on scionlife.

use this forum as a reference not a guide book.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:27 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Robs_tc
I'm selling mine with a new blower and pulleys for $2000!!! Whay would you want a used s/c when the one I'm selling will have the 3yr/36k mile warranty???
How exactly is that going to have a warranty?

All I'm going to say is do A LOT more research on this. I would stay away from it personally. Take your money and either save for a new S/C or buy a turbo kit. A turbo will not blow your engine up. Bad tuning and/or poor installation will.

If you buy cheap you get cheap.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Just a note also guys that irritates the crap out of me... Guess will keep the rant in this post and no further...

People are saying there are more problems with the sc kit than the turbo kits. UNTRUE. I am friends with SO many people on this forum that are turbocharged. You have no IDEA how many of them have had issues that are never reported as to keep in the good graces of there kit maker so they can receive help / warranty on there turbo. With the sc and it being a dealer item, any little thing that does anything wrong is blabbed about on 40 different posts.

Seems once or twice a week I hear about exhaust manifolds cracking, exhaust studs snapping, turbo's taking a crap, welds on pipes cracking, ems issues, blown motors, wastegates sticking, intercooler pipes poping off... 95% of which I NEVER see posted on this forum. And I get the same answer from each person... "dood brand x hooked me up and sent me a new one next day" or "brand x asked me not to say anything as things get blown up and thrown out of reason on the forums" which they do... but anyways. Your guys horrid mass fear of the sc should not be so. Good product and with a good install it will remain a good product.

Is a turbo kit bad? Heck no. Is the sc kit bad? Heck no. Anything bolt on power wise can have issues. All rely on the skill of the installer. And the sad part is many engines are toasted, sc toasted and turbo's are toasted from people that do not have a clue trying to work with an all in one tool kit from a local autoparts store and having a buddy tune it that says he can tune a car without a dyno or a wideband *LOL*

I personally would buy a used sc kit but ONLY if I knew who it was coming from, the exact milage and had a tech that knew what to inspect on it, remove it from the car, and transfer it to the new car.

Not a thing wrong with purchasing used as long as you know all the parts that should be included... I see many sc kits for sale missing a massive amount of parts. The person who is selling did not install it, so they have NO IDEA what all parts came with it.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Garage1217
Just a note also guys that irritates the crap out of me... Guess will keep the rant in this post and no further...

People are saying there are more problems with the sc kit than the turbo kits. UNTRUE. I am friends with SO many people on this forum that are turbocharged. You have no IDEA how many of them have had issues that are never reported as to keep in the good graces of there kit maker so they can receive help / warranty on there turbo. With the sc and it being a dealer item, any little thing that does anything wrong is blabbed about on 40 different posts.

Seems once or twice a week I hear about exhaust manifolds cracking, exhaust studs snapping, turbo's taking a crap, welds on pipes cracking, ems issues, blown motors, wastegates sticking, intercooler pipes poping off... 95% of which I NEVER see posted on this forum. And I get the same answer from each person... "dood brand x hooked me up and sent me a new one next day" or "brand x asked me not to say anything as things get blown up and thrown out of reason on the forums" which they do... but anyways. Your guys horrid mass fear of the sc should not be so. Good product and with a good install it will remain a good product.

Is a turbo kit bad? Heck no. Is the sc kit bad? Heck no. Anything bolt on power wise can have issues. All rely on the skill of the installer. And the sad part is many engines are toasted, sc toasted and turbo's are toasted from people that do not have a clue trying to work with an all in one tool kit from a local autoparts store and having a buddy tune it that says he can tune a car without a dyno or a wideband *LOL*

I personally would buy a used sc kit but ONLY if I knew who it was coming from, the exact milage and had a tech that knew what to inspect on it, remove it from the car, and transfer it to the new car.

Not a thing wrong with purchasing used as long as you know all the parts that should be included... I see many sc kits for sale missing a massive amount of parts. The person who is selling did not install it, so they have NO IDEA what all parts came with it.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by josh_trdsparks
Originally Posted by Robs_tc
How exactly is that going to have a warranty?

All I'm going to say is do A LOT more research on this. I would stay away from it personally. Take your money and either save for a new S/C or buy a turbo kit. A turbo will not blow your engine up. Bad tuning and/or poor installation will.

If you buy cheap you get cheap.

Talked with Bob over at TRD and since the new blower hasn't been asigned a vin number yet (never installed), it will carry a new warranty. Straight from the source, I wouldn't post such a responce with out support. Besides my friend who bought the kit off me has it in writting from the service manager at the dealership, even has a new warranty card.

I agree that no one should buy a used blower. You never know what kind of install it had on the previous car, could have stresses the bearing etc. But if you got it really cheep and kept your old ecu, in case you were supplied another, you could always go back to stock pretty easy.