Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Vor- - - Chargecooler/ Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Vor- - - Chargecooler/ Intercooler

Ok so I have been lookin at all the posts on intercoolers. An FMIC would be great for our supercharger. I am very interested in a healthy performance gain with no reliability issues as are all other supercharger owners. Thus is why I only work with ZPI and my dealership for the most part. One note that I left out on one of my last posts, my current set up resulted in 208 hp to the wheels and something like 186 torque, on a dyno dynamics dyno and for those who know dyno's that is a very low grade and very accurate dyno. That would put me closer to the 228hp range on a mustang or dyno jet. An dthe air fuel ratio with a zpi 9 psi pulley is very healthy. At it's leanest at 6200 rpm's I was at a 11.0- 11.1. So the trd reflash keeps everything pretty tuned. Ok sorry just had to give my props to ZPI and to TRD. Ok so to the intercooler. I have researched and researched from talking to mechanics, tunners, turbo lovers supercharger lovers, dealers you name it including about 20+ hours of reading type research and what I have discovered is that the best option for the Vortec/ TRD supercharger guys is a water to air style intercooler. I have asked around and what I have learned is that with a front mount due to a supercharger not creating tons of heat compared to a turbo that the gains would be significantly less. So much so that the loss in boost in using a FMIC on a supercharger almost cancles out the gains from the colder air. You may be looking at 15 to 20 hp. Now with an intake like ZPI offers obviously the numbers will be slightly higher. What I have read suggests that for our supercharger Vortec does a wonderful job.... well, if they could. TRD will not allow them to create a water to air for our application. This is from the Vortec website to in a lasy way show what they offer and numbers we should expect.

CHARGE COOLING

In the early 1990's, Vortech performed exhaustive studies on air-to-air charge cooling for use with centrifugal superchargers. The approach seemed attractive given the simplicity and straight-forward application. In each test case study, however, a net loss in boost pressure and horsepower resulted. Since horsepower is strongly dependent on charge-air density, and density in turn is related to both temperature and pressure, Vortech quickly learned that obtaining good thermal performance from a charge cooler is only half of the challenge. Indeed, the problem with air-to-air cooling was found to be the significant pressure losses associated with long duct runs needed to get the charge air to and from the heat exchanger, which is usually placed up-front ahead of the radiator. In addition, the air-to-air heat exchanger design incorporated rather lengthy, restrictive passageways which only compounded the problem. Vortech shelved the idea temporarily and instead focused development efforts on supercharger efficiency, which yields the double benefit of delivering cooler charge air to begin with and a reduction in required drive horsepower, given any specific flow/pressure operating point. As higher compression engines and increased boost levels became more prevalent, Vortech renewed development efforts on high-performance charge cooling systems.

Realizing that boost loss was just as important as thermal performance, Vortech turned to an air-to-water type system. This type of system clearly proved it's worth. Thermal performance was excellent and it exhibited insignificant frictional (boost) losses which means that for any specific manifold pressure, supercharger drive power would be minimized - a win-win situation. Further, the system would, under most conditions, out-perform an air-to-air system.

Today, what Vortech started years ago is becoming the technology of choice within the OE Automotive industry - liquid-air charge cooling can now be seen on some of the most advanced powertrains of Mercedes Benz (Maybach), Ford (SVT/Harley Davidson F150, 2003 Cobra, et al.), and Jaguar for boosted applications.

MAXFLOW POWER COOLER CHARGE COOLERS SYSTEMS

Vortech's Maxflow Power Cooler is the aftermarket's first street/strip, air-to-water charge cooler system. It utilizes a closed-loop water circulation system with a front mounted head exchanger that allows for effective street operation. Power gains up to 100 horsepower are possible depending on the application, engine, and boost level. This system provides cooler, denser air charges (discharge temperature decrease is approximately 100 F @ 10 PSIG), allowing more timing with less fuel required. (Greater air discharge temperature reductions are possible with higher boost levels and/or the use of ice chilled water in the reservoir).

Each system features our exclusive dual pass, high-flow, air-to-water-to-air cooler unit. The front mounted heat exchanger (cooler radiator) uses a low-restriction plate/fin design and is manufactured from high-grade aluminum. The water reservoir is roto-molded of high-strength plastic polymers for durability. It features an easy fill, wide mouth design for the use of water, ice or a combination of both. Also included is a heavy-duty water pump, mounting brackets, hoses and hardware.

86-93 Ford Mustang 5.0

* Adds 30+ horsepower
* Air discharge temperature decrease is up to 110+ºF and 10 PSIG using a closed-loop, stabilized temperature water system (much greater air discharge temperature reductions are possible with higher boost levels and/or the use of cold water in the circulation tank)
* Installation time is 5-6 hours (not including battery relocation)
* Battery relocation is required and is not included in the system

P/N 8N301-010
P/N 8N150-010: Battery Relocation Kit

96-03 Ford Mustang GT 2 Valve

* Adds 30+ horsepower
* Air discharge temperature decrease is approximately 110+ºF at 10 PSIG using a closed-loop, stabilized temperature water system (much greater air discharge temperature reductions are possible with higher boost levels and/or the use of cold water in the circulation tank)
* Kit includes 3.33" pulley and FMU line
* 1999-200 applications will require the ECM module to be re-programmed
* 1999 applications will require optional fuel pump assembly 8F001-265 to be installed (unless already equipped) to support the extra horsepower output.

P/N 8N301-030 (fits factory intake manifolds)
P/N 8N301-060 (fits SVO intake manifolds)
P/N 8N150-010 Battery Relocation Kit
P/N 8F001-265 Fuel Pump Assembly

96-98 Ford Mustang Cobra 4 Valve

* Adds 35-40+ horsepower
* Air discharge temperature decrease is approximately 110+ºF at 10 PSIG using a closed-loop, stabilized temperature water system (much greater air discharge temperature reductions are possible with higher boost levels and/or the use of cold water in the circulation tank)
* Kit includes 3.25" pulley

P/N 8N301-040

99 & 01 Ford Mustang Cobra 4 Valve

* Adds 35-40+ horsepower
* Kit includes 3.125" pulley

P/N 8N301-050

93-97 F-Body LT1

* Adds 30+ horsepower

P/N 8N301-020
P/N 8N105-010: (water tank, requires battery relocation kit)
P/N 8N150-010: (battery relocation kit, universal)

1999-2002 6.8 Super Duty

* Adds 41+ horsepower
* Adds 35+ lb/ft of torque
* Installation time is 6-8 hours

P/N 8N301-130: Satin Finish
P/N 8N301-138: Polished Finish
1999-2001 Civic Si

* Adds 45+ horsepower
* Adds 30+ lb/ft of torque

P/N 8N301-100: Satin Finish
P/N 8N301-108: Polished Finish

1994-1998 Integra GSR

* Adds 35+ horsepower
* Adds 25+ lb/ft of torque

P/N 8N301-170: Satin Finish
P/N 8N301-178: Polished Finish
1994-2001 Integra LS

* Adds 25+ horsepower
* Adds 25+ lb/ft of torque

The two worth noting are the civic SI an dthe Integra GSR. The other engines aren't anywhere close to ours so no ned to compare. Ask anyone knowledgeable about our 2az about how much heat is put off. It is a very/ very hot engine. Hence the reason for an intercooler. The Civic Si in thi sexample if I am correct is a 1.8 liter B series @ 7psi. Ganining a whopping 45 hp and 30 pounds of torque. I would say that our 2.4 liter engine that runs considerably hotter would atleast see those results and so would majority of supercharger style mechanics. Now if you are running the ZPI pulley that I highly recommend you will be seeing even greater results, but most importantly your application will be safe and recommended by Vortec.

Here lies the problem. Vortec won't create one for us..... booo to TRD. Let's pretend that I have a freind in oh Tennesse that worked for Vortec once upon a time, and has installed oh about 100 of these style coolers. Let's pretend that he was going to measure my car this saturday to see where this kit is going to fit. Lets also pretend taht he is willing to make this kit for me and isntall it.. run a pre and post dyno with again all air fuel numbers for me. Lets also pretend that he is willing to peice together the exact kit for all supercharged Tc's and sell them for around 1100$.

With those numbers out SC'd Tc will be right their with the numbers of a turbo'd Tc with the same outstanding reliability we have come to love. If anyone is interested post here and you can PM me for more details.

More fun facts about the intercooler style Vortec uses........

Remember this is not a Vortec, that would be against the rules.. maybe just all the same pieces.
The science behind Vortech Charge Cooling Systems

Effectiveness is a term often seen, but also often misused. Strictly speaking, effectiveness refers to the steady state thermal performance of a heat exchanger, and is highly influenced by the flowrates on both the hot and cold side. Numerically, it is stated as a percentage and refers to how close the discharging hot air temperature is to the incoming cooling (fluid) temperature. Thus, it can only be evaluated under fully stabilized, steady-state conditions where the hot and cold side flowrates are carefully controlled and monitored. Vortech tests their charge coolers exactly in this manner to determine legitimate effectiveness performance. As such, typical effectiveness values of 70-85% + are routinely measured. Let us explain.

Having liquid on the cold side of the exchanger results in several very important advantages. First, water is over 9 times more conductive than air, so, the overall heat transfer coefficient is dramatically improved - many times per unit fin area over air-to-air. This affords a much more compact heat exchanger design. Secondly, the pressure loss on the air passage side is greatly reduced by the reduction in heat exchanger size and by the "open" fin area design. Compactness allows the cooler to be placed directly "in the run" from the supercharger to engine - little to no increase in ducting length occurs so ducting losses are absolutely minimized meaning charge density is maximized. Having a reservoir of cool liquid on-hand takes advantage of available thermal mass or storage of the coolant itself, i.e., the vast majority of boost/power demands are typically of short duration, resulting in very little overall temperature rise of the coolant itself. As the coolant is continuously circulated, cooled and stored "at the ready" at close to ambient temperatures, the charge cooler is always afforded Maximum Cooling AdvantageTM.

Vortech Maximum Cooling Advantage

* Better charge cooling - Aftercooler can achieve over 80% effectiveness.
* Compact - Aftercooler is positioned "in-the-run". Short and direct ducting absolutely minimizes frictional losses (boost loss).
* Supercharger boost and parasitic drive power does not have to be increased to overcome boost loss; supercharger will be making less heat in the first place and consume less power doing it.
* You get more horsepower per supercharger PSI of boost.
* Consistently cools the liquid system, even when not in boost, for charge cooing on-demand.
* Ice water provision for competition.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright man good to see something moving forward with the intercooler. I'm the other supercharged tc in town btw, running almost an identical setup to you. Keep us posted
Old 02-07-2006, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

keep me updated on this post.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Id'e say he'll have them together and ready to sell a week after I get mine on. If the dyno numbers show anything around 30 to 40 hp then these will be as valuable as the supercharger itself. I am excited. Kinda hate to always be the guinie pig but at the same time I get to learn everything first hand.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:46 AM
Banned
SL Member

Please.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default price

wow I was unaware of how expensive these things are it's kind of rediculus. Here is one site that I found that sells charge coolers/ aftercoolers... water to air. Vortec of corse.

http://www.musclemotors.com/index.as...S&Category=255

http://www.proficientperformance.com/vortech.php

The 1100$ is a preliminary but none the less that price is far less than anything I have seen. He is a buddy of mine but thats still really low. I am excited!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PWR baby....Air to Liquid all the way. 6" good to 350 whp and the pump is a first class Bosch included in the kit. ZPI just welded it up this week. I'll be installing within the next few weeks.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default cost

what type of cost was it to do it all yourself?
Old 02-08-2006, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: cost

Originally Posted by sallad
what type of cost was it to do it all yourself?
$850 total for all parts in the kit.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So this is the same thing that vortech sells, just substantially cheaper?
Old 02-08-2006, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kytc
So this is the same thing that vortech sells, just substantially cheaper?
I don't know about the Vortech system, I haven't researched it. But the PWR system is a well known and a proven system for over 25 years. They are made in the land down under. Kinda new in the states.

http://www.pwr-performance.com/
Old 02-08-2006, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for that info Sciondad, I'll have to look at this as well, how's the tc coming btw?
Old 02-08-2006, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kytc
Thanks for that info Sciondad, I'll have to look at this as well, how's the tc coming btw?
Should be ready for track and shows by March.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is a nice kit scion dad. It's not the same as the Vortec to answer questions. The Vortec kit is made for Vortec applications, based on Vortec research. I am excited to see the application sand the differences in temps and dyno numbers. Me not knowing a whole lot about engines... in comparison to a mechanic would simply just choose the one that has been developed specificaly for my supercharger. That's just me.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

a lil bit off topic but did anyone see the freakin turbo kit for that yamaha 4 stroke YFZ450?? My friend has 2 of them...hmmmmmmmmmm
Old 02-10-2006, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default from a friend

This is from zpi's forum about their fmic "We do not feel that the dyno gains on stock boost will be significant enough to offset the cost."
Old 02-10-2006, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ I agree, there is not going to be a significant power increase., I would say 10- 20 hp at best..but the FMIC or some form of charge cooling is always going to help prevent detonation and that is priceless.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

exactly, it is not about the dyno gains for just a bolt on, it is about the ability to raise boost on a safer level! DUH!
Old 02-10-2006, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think he was just trying to show that a fmic might not produce as much power as this chargecooler he is having developed but sciondad and desertheat are both right, having more peace of mind about raising boost is one of the main draws to me. Idk about everyone else but with something like this I would be very tempted to push boost up to about 11psi. However, I am definetly planning on building up my engine after that and I wouldn't go any higher without any engine work (at least pistons).
Old 02-10-2006, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You would also have to keep an eye on those a/f ratios if you did 11psi boost as well.

Quick Reply: Vor- - - Chargecooler/ Intercooler