Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

wastegate question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Brett
i dont think that your lean idle is caused by an exaust leak. i have the same thing with mine, but it only does it once the car has been running for a while. i think it has something to do with compressor surge or air temps.
Well if the exhaust leak is before his afr sensor, then that can cause a lean idle reading. The air is escaping before the sensor has a change to register it all, hence, lean reading. And yes, you can run this kit without management, kinda like zpi. I'm not saying its a good idea either way, just saying it runs safely.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:48 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrodTc
i dont think that your lean idle is caused by an exaust leak. i have the same thing with mine, but it only does it once the car has been running for a while. i think it has something to do with compressor surge or air temps.
Well if the exhaust leak is before his afr sensor, then that can cause a lean idle reading. The air is escaping before the sensor has a change to register it all, hence, lean reading. And yes, you can run this kit without management, kinda like zpi. I'm not saying its a good idea either way, just saying it runs safely.
if your afr at idle starts out stoichometrec and the goes lean after the car has been running for a while. then you can rule out an exaust leak as the problem.

please dont get me started on running a turbo without at least a piggyback.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrodTc
if your afr at idle starts out stoichometrec and the goes lean after the car has been running for a while. then you can rule out an exaust leak as the problem.

please dont get me started on running a turbo without at least a piggyback.

Haha, yes Mr. Burgundy. My point is/was his lean AFR reading COULD be due to an exhaust leak. A piggy back unit will/could help the situation, but what if it doesen't? We can't blame his problem on that yet. Get me?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree with brett. im glad treadstone has had 3 kits running for a year without any management but i defintely dont think its the smartest.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i understand what you guys are saying andand i appreciate the help and advice you're giving. when ibought the kit i had every intention to eventually get engine management. now that im having this problem its just prompting me to get it sooner.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:00 AM
SL Member

listen bsptc27. i know everyone wants to have love for the people who make there kit. and you want to swear up and down that there is nothing wrong with it. but if you dont belive me then go ask any professional tuner who has no intrest in competing with treadstone, if its ok to boost a car without engine managment. we dont need anymore tc's blowin up. if your wot is 13!!! you got problems. i beg you to take it easy till you get an engine management. please dont let your love for treadstone cloud your judgement.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bsptc27
i understand what you guys are saying andand i appreciate the help and advice you're giving. when ibought the kit i had every intention to eventually get engine management. now that im having this problem its just prompting me to get it sooner.
I've got an emange for sale :D
Old 06-21-2007, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

listen bsptc27. i know everyone wants to have love for the people who make there kit. and you want to swear up and down that there is nothing wrong with it. but if you dont belive me then go ask any professional tuner who has no intrest in competing with treadstone, if its ok to boost a car without engine managment. we dont need anymore tc's blowin up. if your wot is 13!!! you got problems. i beg you to take it easy till you get an engine management. please dont let your love for treadstone cloud your judgement.
i never said i thought nothing was wrong with the treadstone kit. inever said i didnt believe you. i know i have a problem and until that problem gets fixed im taking it easy on my car. the only reason im posting on the forum is to get advice from other knowledgeable people on the forum
Old 06-21-2007, 02:12 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by bsptc27
i never said i thought nothing was wrong with the treadstone kit. inever said i didnt believe you. i know i have a problem and until that problem gets fixed im taking it easy on my car. the only reason im posting on the forum is to get advice from other knowledgeable people on the forum
good. cause people on here will tell you the most ridiculous $hit, and not think twice about it. cause its not there car.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the wideband is supposed to be a minimum of 36" away from the turbo. I went 2 feet.

I have 2 other widebands in the same spot and there dead on accurate.

Any closer to the turbo and you burn out the sensor quicker.

Yours afrs are off due to the exhaust leak from the s pipe. Even the smallest leak will cause the readings to be off.

The wga port is for a electronic boost controller