Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Watch out boys....340WHP at 10 PSI Omifab turbo kit results!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The kits will be the same as above of production form. I have no interest in doing smaller turbo kits as there are many to choose from on the market already. Obviously this kit works well with stock motor as well at lower boost pressures but really is designed for the guys who want to boost a little more with their built motors. The only choice really on this kit is the spring in the wastegate. We used a 6.8 lb spring on this kit and you can specify a higher spring rate for built motors if you prefer at no additional charge. The kits will be available VERY shortly and we are taking preorders at a special price. It will not be the cheapest kit on the market and we did not design it to be. We used the highest quality components and offer the largest turbo and largest IC available for the Tc anywhere as well as the largest injector choice as an option. We also offer the Hydra premapped with a base map to get you started and are working on the 3 inch exhaust at the moment as an option as well. We can offer a 3 inch inlet pipe with a MAF sensor on it if people want but we hope that folks will opt for the standalone option for tuning. It is a far better choice and much safer.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Big numbers, but I think where he is coming from is along the lines of using a 16G and hitting full boost by 2600-3k RPM's vs. bigger HP and not hitting full boost till 3750 RPM like you mentioned.
Exactly. Id rather have the full boost and try to hold it to red line then just having a jolt of power at a certain amount of RPM. Also I think hte GT40 turbo would be more suitable as just a drag type turbo where all that power hits you as your going in a straight line. The 16G would better suite my needs as it achives boost quicker and would be more compatible around the track and daily driving. The GT40 sounds really tempting though. As for all the parts besides the manifold, I can fab them up myself so that wont be an issue, Im more interested in your reliable tuning. Do you guys flash the ECU's or do we buy a new ECU? So this would mean there wouldnt be a need for a stand alone unit correct? Also, do you think you would be able to wip up some maps for a 16G? Im looking to make just around 300 and be as reliable as can be and being able to mate it to a slightly upgraded tranny that woiuld be comfterable to drive as a dd.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

By the way there is lifetime warranty on the manifold against cracking and we hope to release the kit at the $5250 range with the injectors, the cat back, and the ECU being options. So $8500 with injectors, ECU and full 3 inch exhaust which is everything you need to duplicate what we have done here (not counting gauges and the boost controller).
Old 03-20-2007, 04:21 PM

Also Dan, did you guys eliminate the MAF completely? Is this done with the ECU tuning?
Old 03-20-2007, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbo27 the turbo is actually very drivable on an everyday basis. You really don't get any lag under normal driving since you are rarely under 2500 RPM and there is plenty of boost at that RPM anyway. This car has an abundance of low end torque and the turbo we use work well with that torque to both be able to spool the turbo quickly as well as still have decent low end power off boost. In all honesty we don't feel the need to offer any of the smaller turbos ourselves because as you know there are many kits out there if you want something small. The numbers for those kits all hover in the 250-290 range at the wheels which is fine some some people and you are welcome to do what you like. If that is what you are looking for I'm sure there is a company out there making 16G kits.
As for the ECU no the Hydra is a standalone that parallels with the stock ECU. It works all the fuel and timing independently via a 3 bar map sensor which is built in. The stock ECU is retained for drive by wire control as well as minor electrical controls and CAN bus prototcols that are built into it. Works flawlessly and has knock control built into the unit as well as a wideband for logging. I will be happy tune any steup you wish with the Hydra but we will only be offering this one base map for our setups at the moment. I may offer more maps in the future for some of the more popular kits out there like the Turbonetics. Yes the Hydra uses a 3 bar map sensor for tuning, NOT a MAF at all (which is removed on this car).
Old 03-20-2007, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah this Hydra system sounds amazing. Look for it to be on a Turbonetics tC soon.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so do you feel that the 37/40r is better then the gt3076r on the tC block?
Old 03-20-2007, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

3076 is okay but may be limited on the exhaust side due to the larger displacement on the Tc motor. Should work well also though and trust me we thought about using it at one point but most people want a bigger capacity turbo to be able to push it a bit harder. Well the 88mm wheel on the 40 is far bigger than the 76mm wheel on the 30R and pricewise they are similar turbos.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what kinda 1/4 mile times are you looking at with that turbo i know that the one car on this site went 10.50 at like 140 mph did you raise the rev on that tC if not are you planing on. i'm not tring to be a pain i'm just asking because i have recently built my block but i have a stock head at this time because i'm venturing torwards a bigger turbo then maybe when moneys right i'll build the head. and do you think the 40r would work good with a log style mani.. i know log manis suck but there good for low end torque but suck for flowing but they help with lag LOL sorry for rambling on your input is apperiated thank you...
Old 03-20-2007, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is sick man!!! Ya that's the first time i've seen a manifold welded that way. But let us know what you're running in a 1/4 mile. Keep up the good work
Old 03-20-2007, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Guru
Turbo27 the turbo is actually very drivable on an everyday basis. You really don't get any lag under normal driving since you are rarely under 2500 RPM and there is plenty of boost at that RPM anyway. This car has an abundance of low end torque and the turbo we use work well with that torque to both be able to spool the turbo quickly as well as still have decent low end power off boost. In all honesty we don't feel the need to offer any of the smaller turbos ourselves because as you know there are many kits out there if you want something small. The numbers for those kits all hover in the 250-290 range at the wheels which is fine some some people and you are welcome to do what you like. If that is what you are looking for I'm sure there is a company out there making 16G kits.

However, it's not just HP that is the underlining when it comes to driveability on the street. What he is getting at is this. A 16G turbine can run up to 380-400whp. Now sit a 16G car with 340whp side by side with that of the GT40 that is equipped on this car @ 340whp. The only difference will be that on the 16G you will probably be looking at 14 lbs of boost vs. the 10 lbs needed for this larger turbo. The capability of this turbo is a lot higher HP wise because of it's size. But the spooling characteristics is a lot.....Lot...later than that of the smaller 16G. He wants the Spool more than he does the HP. So, he's not questioning really weather or not this GT40 would be a good turbo on the street. You said it spools pretty good, but sitting it next to a 16G kitted tC, will make that thing look like it will see Christmas first.

So, for the street, he is just saying (correct me if I'm wrong), that the smaller turbine is going to be faster for daily driving. Full boost @ 2600rpm with 340whp is going to run away from the larger turbo running lower boost with 340whp and full boost @ 3750rpm.

The magical question is this though, which is safer for a stock engine. A smaller turbo @ 14lbs, or a big a$$ turbo @ 10lbs? Now if built engine is added to the equation, then we have a different story. What is the GT40's max HP/boost rating?
Old 03-20-2007, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikescion
what kinda 1/4 mile times are you looking at with that turbo i know that the one car on this site went 10.50 at like 140 mph did you raise the rev on that tC if not are you planing on. i'm not tring to be a pain i'm just asking because i have recently built my block but i have a stock head at this time because i'm venturing torwards a bigger turbo then maybe when moneys right i'll build the head. and do you think the 40r would work good with a log style mani.. i know log manis suck but there good for low end torque but suck for flowing but they help with lag LOL sorry for rambling on your input is apperiated thank you...

If you are going to run a GTseries turbo, don't disgrace it with a log style manifold. Go Equal Length Mike.

Can't skip out on that kinda stuff.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, for the street, he is just saying (correct me if I'm wrong), that the smaller turbine is going to be faster for daily driving. Full boost @ 2600rpm with 340whp is going to run away from the larger turbo running lower boost with 340whp and full boost @ 3750rpm.
What are you talking about here? You mention Street as in "Daily Driving" then you go mention about Racing with the "run away from the larger turbo" part...

In reality if you raced both these cars, 16g vs Big Turbo the 16g would lose hands down. Of course the 16g would get the jump, but as soon as you shift, the larger turbo is still making power. Powerband plays a huge role in racing. The top end of the 16g/18g isnt all that great. We need bigger turbos.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL i know i'm just lookin at how srt4s are rocking out with log style and going low 11's and 10s with them can't bash the logs if there going that far LOL ya know
Old 03-20-2007, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What are you talking about here? You mention Street as in "Daily Driving" then you go mention about Racing with the "run away from the larger turbo" part...

In reality if you raced both these cars, 16g vs Big Turbo the 16g would lose hands down. Of course the 16g would get the jump, but as soon as you shift, the larger turbo is still making power. Powerband plays a huge role in racing. The top end of the 16g/18g isnt all that great. We need bigger turbos.[/quote]

but what you have to see is if you don't raise the rev limiter then that jump that the 16g gets make take the win because the bigger turbo is hittin enough power band .....
Old 03-20-2007, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

However, it's not just HP that is the underlining when it comes to driveability on the street. What he is getting at is this. A 16G turbine can run up to 380-400whp. Now sit a 16G car with 340whp side by side with that of the GT40 that is equipped on this car @ 340whp. The only difference will be that on the 16G you will probably be looking at 14 lbs of boost vs. the 10 lbs needed for this larger turbo. The capability of this turbo is a lot higher HP wise because of it's size. But the spooling characteristics is a lot.....Lot...later than that of the smaller 16G. He wants the Spool more than he does the HP. So, he's not questioning really weather or not this GT40 would be a good turbo on the street. You said it spools pretty good, but sitting it next to a 16G kitted tC, will make that thing look like it will see Christmas first.

The magical question is this though, which is safer for a stock engine. A smaller turbo @ 14lbs, or a big a$$ turbo @ 10lbs? Now if built engine is added to the equation, then we have a different story. What is the GT40's max HP/boost rating?
Well with 346 ft lbs of torque at the wheel the GT37/40 car will do very well on the street and as I mentioned you will get into boost instantaniously from almost any normal driving RPM. Now if you can get the same power out of a 16G well I doubt it on pump fuel. Then you're comparing apples to oranges. Will the 16G do it? Sure. Will it do it on pump gas as safely? Absolutely not. As I mentioned if a 16G is what he wants he is welcome to use any of the kits on the market but as you can probably see no one with a 16G is laying down the numbers we are or even close. This kit isn't even breaking a sweat at 10 PSI and should be able to run 12-13 PSI on pump fuel without any problems. That should lay down close to 400 WHP on 93 octane. Not bad at all I think. All depends on what you are looking for.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If someone can get a 16g to run these numbers on a stock tC motor then we can start talking about which car would win a race. Ive yet to see a 16g on a tC even come close to these numbers.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by zer0

In reality if you raced both these cars, 16g vs Big Turbo the 16g would lose hands down. Of course the 16g would get the jump, but as soon as you shift, the larger turbo is still making power. Powerband plays a huge role in racing. The top end of the 16g/18g isnt all that great. We need bigger turbos.

Of course I would like to test that theory... Would the top end be enough to make up the gap loss from slow spool, granted both cars have the same HP....That is the question...
Old 03-20-2007, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Well with 346 ft lbs of torque at the wheel the GT37/40 car will do very well on the street and as I mentioned you will get into boost instantaniously from almost any normal driving RPM. Now if you can get the same power out of a 16G well I doubt it on pump fuel. Then you're comparing apples to oranges. Will the 16G do it? Sure. Will it do it on pump gas as safely? Absolutely not. As I mentioned if a 16G is what he wants he is welcome to use any of the kits on the market but as you can probably see no one with a 16G is laying down the numbers we are or even close. This kit isn't even breaking a sweat at 10 PSI and should be able to run 12-13 PSI on pump fuel without any problems. That should lay down close to 400 WHP on 93 octane. Not bad at all I think. All depends on what you are looking for.

I wouldn't say 40 more whp is exactly a stretch of a difference. 16G pushes 290-300whp and 300+ftlbs at 10ish PSI. At 14 PSI it runs at minimum a 12.1 in the 1/4 mile. For some, near 11sec's is pretty decent for a daily driver.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
If someone can get a 16g to run these numbers on a stock tC motor then we can start talking about which car would win a race. Ive yet to see a 16g on a tC even come close to these numbers.
The 12.1 that was run on the 16G was at around 14 PSI or more (would have to watch the vid again), but I would go as far to say that dynoing a 16G at 14 PSI would more than likely yeild a little over 340whp, if not pretty damn close. Like I said though, you would have to run more boost on it, and the question is, is more boost on a smaller turbo as safe as low boost on a larger one?

We are just trying to figure out the streetablility of the GT40, in relation to its spooling and driveability. So, this is just to see where it would stand next to the fastest spooling turbo that is being equipped on the tC's right now.

Quick Reply: Watch out boys....340WHP at 10 PSI Omifab turbo kit results!