Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Watch out boys....340WHP at 10 PSI Omifab turbo kit results!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:00 PM

Yea I know what you mean, Michigan sucks. This winter feels too long. Could you give me more info on the Hydra ECU? Does this replace the stock ECU completely or is this a piggy back? I have all my parts that Im going to need written down I just need to know what im going to do tuning wise.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive learn so much be reading this thread!

Keep up the great work Dan! Its nice to have people like paul, joe and now dan to help us all out.
I completely agree. It's nice when all the turbo guys get together, and instead of just arguing, actual facts, dyno sheets, #'s, and vids are provided. Great post and keep up the great work!
Old 03-21-2007, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by bcnu_702

Keep up the great work Dan! Its nice to have people like paul, joe and now dan to help us all out.
I completely agree. It's nice when all the turbo guys get together, and instead of just arguing, actual facts, dyno sheets, #'s, and vids are provided. Great post and keep up the great work!

Totally. I think ive learned more in the past few days then in the past 6 months.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually the Hydra is a standalone but it does have a y harness to allow the stock ECU to handle the drive by wire as well as CAN functions of the car. It will take 100% control over all fuel, timing, rev limit and temp compensation functions completely. It also eliminates the MAF sensor and allows you to set open loop threashholds as well as adjust all parameters to the 3 bar map sensor instead of a MAF reading. It is very powerful. You can read a bit more about it here:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=163635

and here:

www.hydraems.com
Old 03-21-2007, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bcnu_702 wrote:
Quote:

Totally. I think ive learned more in the past few days then in the past 6 months.
I'm just pumped by the fact all of these new turbos are coming out. More options the better. This turbo setup looks specifically very sweet. Saving up as we speak!!
Old 03-22-2007, 01:42 AM

Dan, do you know any other means you would be able to manage the air/fuel ratios without me having to use the Hydra :?? It seems like an awesome tuning tool but I dont really think I could spend $1,700 on it lol but if I could I would in a heart beat.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:54 AM

Well Ive searched and have seen some people used SAFC II and eManage. Do you know anymore that would tune better or are any of these good enough?
Old 03-22-2007, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll tell you what I tell many people who come into my shop. You have to pay to play. it's not cheap and yeah you can cheap out but I wouldn't recommend it. SAFC probably is not recommended. if you HAVE to do a piggy back do an E-Manage with the boost pressure sensor but really the ECU is what makes or breaks your motor in terms of both power and reliabilty. Up to you though.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

true about the ECU making or breaking your motor BUTTTT and thats a big but really its the tuner that makes and breaks the motor.... A real tuner usally can tune anything with anything and should know the limits of a stock or modded car. a stand alone just makes it easier. I mean just ask top tuners in the US there favorite question "can you tune with this" or "can you tune that" and they'll probley say i can tune anything with anything LOL naw i mean dawgzz
Old 03-22-2007, 12:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes and no. To be able to dial it in at WOT is pretty easy. The problem is that you don't just go foot on the floor everywhere. The part throttle boost is what is dangerous as well as the fact that the ECU can fight yo on the settings you try to put in there. Often times the timing you take out the ECU will put back in over time and obviously that can be disastrous.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Over time = what amount of time frame?
Old 03-22-2007, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

modern ECU's learn pretty fast. Usually just a few days is all it takes to adjust itself to what it wants to run. Piggyback's you are constantly trying to fight what the ECU was programmed to do. Although fueling changes can be relatively easy (with a few exceptions) the timing curves which are crucial to the vehicle being safe is what is difficult to overcome.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Tuned right, I reckon it puts up a good fight, with the E-manage winning....lol.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea then piggy backs would be useless to make if they never work so i guess i should give greddy a call and see what they have to say about what you have said Guru.... we have a local greddy here in Jersey hopefully they will get back to me asap.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't say they never worked. It is just that the control they offer isn't as great and you still have the propensity for the stock ECU to fight you on some of the changes you make.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh ok hay Guru..... your kit does look good though i'll tell you that i'm not hating on your kit just busting your ballz about 2 totally different kits that probley shouldn't even be compared
Old 03-22-2007, 05:40 PM

Yea Dan, I really know what you mean about these piggy backs really having limited options. You cant really tune as much with these compared to what you can do with a stand alone unit. Ive tried DSMlink on my Talon which gives you complete control of the ECU after trying to use SAFC-II and the difference was amazing. I might end up just buying the Hydra eventually as I like to be in full control of my car, its a good feeling, but if I dont would you be able to tune with a SAFC-II or e-Manage?
Old 03-22-2007, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes we can tune either but as I mentioned I would recommend the E-Manage with pressure sensor over the SAFC for a boosted Tc. I have them in stock.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:11 PM

You have the E-Manage in stock? Blue or Ultimate? How much?
Old 03-24-2007, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have both in stock. Just PM me or stop in and take a look your self and I can give you a quote.

Quick Reply: Watch out boys....340WHP at 10 PSI Omifab turbo kit results!