Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Water Cooled Turbo.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Water Cooled Turbo.....

I have my eye on a FP3065 turbo! Some of you know that i'm building a custom turbo kit for my TC. My manifold is at Neukin and is in the works. I'm using my FMIC off my Eclipse, and a few other goddies i have left over!

My Question is this.... have any of you used a water AND oil cooled turbo yet? all of the turbos i've seen on every "bolt on" kit for the tc have been 'dry' turbo's? I'm looking to make more power than the average person who buys a turbo kit. I'm a DSM at heart, so turbos are my thing. I was just wondering if anyone has done this yet, and if any problems have arrised, and how it worked it. I'd also like to know where you plumbed for the water lines.

thanks,

Clay
Old 09-18-2006, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

The ZPI turbo is set up for it, just not running it... I thought about looking at it as well, as I'd like to see the cooling ability...

Watching this thread, and I'll pop a message over to ZPI to see what they thought about the deal and what the investment is to run it!
Old 09-18-2006, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

definately watching
Old 09-18-2006, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Searching doesn't yield much info as to how the Watercooled A/M turboes are set up and run...

I don't think it'd be significantly difficult to run the fittings and such for the Big 16 G I run, as the holes are already there...just curious as to where the water comes from and goes back to for cooling... hmm... it's got to be efficient for cooling for sure.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We really don't run enough boost to NEED water cooling.

Water cooling always helps, but turbos that are dry are built a little bit differently as to not require water for your primary cooling. One thing I can reccommend is the B&M oil kit if you don't have luck running a water cooled turbo.

If you get the water cooling system set up, post up and show us! Good luck with everything.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

That's what I was told on the ZPI side as well... but, hell, it couldn't hurt? Leave it to me to be curious and slam it out...

I'll look into it and play around with the idea... sounds like a fun project and more nifty hoses to run around!
Old 09-18-2006, 07:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol...

We can all say that more hoses makes us look smarter when we say we installed it
Old 09-18-2006, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sound performance kit is oil and water cooled.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ Cool, now I have to fish out pics to see how I can add it to my setup and help others as well, if they wish to go over the top like me!
Old 09-18-2006, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

trubochargers.com sells a water cooling kit for the G16 it's supposed to be used on the WRX. It's got all the fitting and barbed connectors needed.

The heater line on the tC is like right next to the exhaust manifold -it would not be too diffucult to put the turbo between the two points. Also the radiator hose is right next to the turbo as well a T-adapter could be made to move some of the fluid through the turbo's center cartridge.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I've got the neccesary info now and will work with a how-to soon... it's easier than you might think, based on my tentative research...

There are two plugged locations on the engine all set up for it... all you need it the correct fittings and to run the lines... Gimme a few days to a few weeks and I'll work on it.

-WDS
Old 09-18-2006, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great info guys. I'm only asking because i want to run a turbo that is water and oil cooled. I'm not wanting to ADD it to a dry turbo. The center section of a Ballbearing tubo needs to be water cooled. I know Turbonetics uses a ballbearing turbo in thier kit, but i couldn't dig up much info on that.

I plan on using a larger turbo that a 16g or 20g. Since i'm going to be using that size turbo, ballbearing would deffinitly be to my advantage, and most, if not all, or water AND oil cooled.

I was just throwing my idea out there to see if anyone has done this. After looking under the hood of my TC, it doesn't look like it'll be to hard to tackle. I just hate MORE hoses... its more room for error.

thanks for all the input guys.. i'm sure myself, or WeDriveScions will post something up in the bnear future
Old 09-19-2006, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Ok, Courtesy of the master, Kenny, at ZPI, here's a hint of what to look at for a water cooled setup and install

the top bolt is the feed line to the turbo and the bottom is the return line to the engine... I'll be working on getting all the correct fittings and line lengths in order, but I thought We'd help you out on getting moving...

Props to Kenny@ZPI for the quick pictures and help!

Old 09-19-2006, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats awesome! finding the fittings won't be hard at all! Just take the bolt out, cruis over to the hardware store, match it up with a barbed fitting, and BAM... you got your self a water coolant fitting.

The other concern with a ball bearing turbo it that oil pressure needs to be no greater than 60psi. I know on a DSM, they have a bolt that the oil feed line threads on to, and it has a restriction in it so it will drop the pressure. I don't have my oil pressure gauge hooked up in my TC yet, but i remember hearing 100+ for the oil press. I could be wrong, but that just what i heard!
Old 09-19-2006, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ Oil Pressure varies....

I thought about taking the bolt out... but remembered that coolant tends to flow well and makes a mess... so I'd have to drain the coolant to take it out and get the fittings... not a huge deal, but I need to commit a few down days to do it... good news is that once we know, it'd be easier for others to purchase and set up...
Old 09-19-2006, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would stay clear of the barbed fittings at the engine block. The hot side of the turbo and the down-pipe is like on top of the connections especially the top side. They make banjo-style fittings that may make it easier to route away from the hot spots of the turbo. The good news is that the coolant will take away the heat rather quickly.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=FTG

Old 09-19-2006, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I won't use barbed... I will use the high-end race fittings I use on my nitrous lines and oil feed line to the turbo... look better and are very heat resistant... I'll work on measurements of each line, and the neccesary fittings to keep everything happy and good to go for quick and easy install... outside of the pain of draining the coolant
Old 09-19-2006, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It looks like the bottom screw in the photo has an elbow that is used to drain the coolant...
Old 09-19-2006, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

To bottom one has a little *** which turns to drain coolant from the block... It needs a larger tfitting to do the job,

Something like this for the top...

and something like this, (but larger) for the bottom,

with the drain moved the the t and the return running straight in...

And running these lines...

Everything is just for reference, as the lines and fittings will be bit larger, but look great and function as neccesary.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't make it hard on yourself. the throttle body is water cooled, just tap into that or bypass it totally.

Quick Reply: Water Cooled Turbo.....