Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Water Cooled Turbo.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

What's hard about it?

It's really easy... the location on the block is closer to the turbo (about 4 inches) and easier to tap into, and the return location is perfect as well... even if you get the water off the TB (which is located further away, you still need to return it somewhere... and still need to drain the coolant to connect the return.

Once I get the fittings all taken care of and then lines measured out for you all... it's all a matter of draining the coolant (easy) , screwing in the fittings (easy), and we're good to go!
Old 09-19-2006, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't use a barbed fitting either.. i was just rambling. I would use a stainless line like what was just posted. They are more duarable, and add that extra bling factor too =)
Old 09-19-2006, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

That's part of my reason...

One - Because I can
Two - Because It looks nifty
Three - Because it'll help a bit I'm sure to keep cooler temps and isn't expensive to add on.
Four - The add a reference to all others needing to add a similiar setup and help out!
Old 09-19-2006, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Okay, now I'm watching this one.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok... I bought my turbo today.. its a AGP L2R. Any of you DSM guys will know what it is, but here's a link to the specs, and a pic! I have the Spearco FMIC left over from my Eclipse part out, and it fitts perfect behind the factory bumber of my TC.. I also have RC 650cc injectors (with clips), walbro 255 fuel pump, ZPI vacume distribution block, fidanza flywheel, clutchmaster stage 4 clutch, Turbo XS BOV, Greddy Emangage, Nology spark plug wires, NGK spark plugs, Blitz Electronic boost controler, and all the gauges someone could ask for (I saved them from my Eclipse..lol)
I'm shipping my Exhaust flange off to Neukin tomorrow to get a one-off custom manifold made.

All i really have left to get is custom intercooler pipes made, a custom exhaust made, and find a Purple tial 44mm wastegate. The exhaust, and ic pipes will have to be dead last after the manifold/turbo is all bolted up!

This is the "Clay" turbo kit!

Its going to be a min before all of this gets installed.. I want to build the block with ZPI's pistons and rods, and get it honed 1st. I'm also interested in thier stage 2 head, but they just jumped the price of it $450 so i guess i'll have to talk to kenny and see what we can work out! Of course.. I never have to mention anything about ZPI when i refer to my kit, or motor either.. so i guess we'll see

Heres the link to the turbo...
http://www.i-m-racing.com/agpl2r.html
Old 09-25-2006, 10:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This sounds awesome and all.. especially a good add on for the zpi turbo kit.

but turbos run hot as hell.. way hotter than the engine..

Circulating the engines cooling system through the turbo is going to heat up the engine i believe.. I could be wrong.. zpi care to chime in?

or maybe you can just get a small seperate radiator w/fan like the one used in the PWR air-to-water cooling pipe.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

It would increase engine water temp a bit... but not super crazy...

Above...???

that's a different concept... Thats a water to Air intercooler, which Sciondad runs on his Stage0 already.... works well for him... Uses water to cool air in the piping setup.

The water cooled setup I'm discussing goes directly into the turbo assembly and helps keep the turbo cooler...
Old 09-25-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually i like the idea of having a separate radiator for cooling the turbo vs. using the engine radiator coolant. should drop the temps of the bearings way down. of course might not be worth the weight vs. cooling in low hp, say above 400whp would be a great time to use it.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ Exactly.... the idea of running water cooling is somewhat unneccesary in our lower hp conditions, thus, why few kits do...
Old 09-25-2006, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions
It would increase engine water temp a bit... but not super crazy...

Above...???

that's a different concept... Thats a water to Air intercooler, which Sciondad runs on his Stage0 already.... works well for him... Uses water to cool air in the piping setup.

The water cooled setup I'm discussing goes directly into the turbo assembly and helps keep the turbo cooler...
I dont think I made myself clear..

That small radiator would work even better.. air will cool the water running through the turbo.

running it off the engines coolant doesnt sound like a good idea... turbos produce alot of heat..

I believe running it even in our low hp applications is still a good idea.. that small radiator aint that much.. and it will eliminate the need of a turbo-timer to cool the turbo down. Maybe you can even install a switch on it.. so when the engine is turned off you can still have the radiator running to cool the turbo down on a really hot day
Old 09-25-2006, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

At our low HP setups, it's not going to be a crazy jump in coolant temperature, and running through our large radiator will cool sufficiently... It's not a huge amount of water which flows through the turbo, so I think we're all confident that the radiator/cooling assembly can handle the extra heat well. Plus, in the stock setup cooling system , you have ALOT more water, and a MUCH larger radiator... a smaller amount of water, flowing through a smaller radiator will be harder to manage heat with.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions
At our low HP setups, it's not going to be a crazy jump in coolant temperature, and running through our large radiator will cool sufficiently... It's not a huge amount of water which flows through the turbo, so I think we're all confident that the radiator/cooling assembly can handle the extra heat well. Plus, in the stock setup cooling system , you have ALOT more water, and a MUCH larger radiator... a smaller amount of water, flowing through a smaller radiator will be harder to manage heat with.
only one way to find out...

someone needs to monitor coolant temps without the turbo in it and then monitor it with the turbo incorporated.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

That's my plan.... just too busy with other mods for HIN this weekend and such...

In the next month or so, I'm sure I'll get to it and test it out...
Old 10-24-2006, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

???
Old 10-27-2006, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

this just in,
I just got my water cooled turbo from Turbonetics and I will be using the locations on the block in which to supply and return to water too.
Water cooling helps to drop the turbo temps anywhere from 200-400 degrees which is essential for longevity and high horsepower output.
I'm checking with Reggie but I do believe that all Turbonetics kits will be coming with water cooled turbos from now on. I'll let you know as soon as it is finalized...
Old 10-27-2006, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jam0321
this just in,
I just got my water cooled turbo from Turbonetics and I will be using the locations on the block in which to supply and return to water too.
Water cooling helps to drop the turbo temps anywhere from 200-400 degrees which is essential for longevity and high horsepower output.
I'm checking with Reggie but I do believe that all Turbonetics kits will be coming with water cooled turbos from now on. I'll let you know as soon as it is finalized...
Yes I believe that is correct. (the future kit part that is)
Old 11-05-2006, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does the water cooler eliminate the need for a turbo timer?
Old 11-05-2006, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jam0321
this just in,

I want one
Old 03-26-2007, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump... did anyone ever install this?
Old 03-26-2007, 11:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by krazylowgsx
Thats awesome! finding the fittings won't be hard at all! Just take the bolt out, cruis over to the hardware store, match it up with a barbed fitting, and BAM... you got your self a water coolant fitting.

The other concern with a ball bearing turbo it that oil pressure needs to be no greater than 60psi. I know on a DSM, they have a bolt that the oil feed line threads on to, and it has a restriction in it so it will drop the pressure. I don't have my oil pressure gauge hooked up in my TC yet, but i remember hearing 100+ for the oil press. I could be wrong, but that just what i heard!
100 PSI who in the right mind told you that. It is 50 and below. If they told 100 PSI there rings are going to explode and float a vlalve. If it was a T-netics guy who is putting 6 Quarts of oil (WHICH T-NETICS RECOMENDS) Then they are in for a world of hurt hear soon.

Quick Reply: Water Cooled Turbo.....