Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Weird problem after overboosting...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Default Weird problem after overboosting...

Hey guys,

Well I was messing around with my New Profec SpecB II boost controller tonight and I set the SET=1% and Start Boost=50 and Gain at 0% and went for a test run... When I punched it, all of sudden it spiked to 16.7PSI and made some weird ___ sounds, I let off in a nanosecond!

After that occured some weird things started happening...
1. The tone of my exhaust changed slightly
2. The BOV doesn't make the shuttering sounds at low RPM anymore when I let off the gas
3. The turbo seems to not spool up at lower RPMs anymore
4. With the Profec Boost Controller off, I now have Massive Boost CREEP and my PSI starts to rise in to the 12's with the unit completely off.

What is happening? Did I mess something up royally?

Thanks,

Drew
Old 10-10-2007, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uh oh
Old 10-10-2007, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

prolly blew something, now the mad scientist has to rip apart the block and replace the piston ring u blew.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Angry_Celi_Guy
prolly blew something, now the mad scientist has to rip apart the block and replace the piston ring u blew.
a little to much fast and the furious. lol
Old 10-10-2007, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd take off your boost controller. Check for leaks. Do a compression test, leak down test. Look for a blown Head Gasket. This is the main reason why I never bought a boost controller.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrodTc
I'd take off your boost controller. Check for leaks. Do a compression test, leak down test. Look for a blown Head Gasket. This is the main reason why I never bought a boost controller.
+1 on the boost controller...
Old 10-10-2007, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do a compression test. That's a start.

FYI to all:

Electronic boost controllers greatly help anyone turbo charged. They take a while to set up, and if you're inexperienced then bad things can happen. You set the boost controller to 50%! This means, and it states this in the directions, that you made it run 50% of the turbocharger's limit. Most people run fairly larger turbos here so having 50% equate to over 30psi seems to be very accurate.

The problem with boost controllers is the installtion method and tuning. They aren't simple plug and play units. Some, like my Apexi AVC-R, will cost MORE than some engine management systems out there. This should be treated as an EMS if you really want to justify the investment.

Being able to change boost levels electronically is a great thing in the beginning. But what if in addition to that you can eliminate boost spiking, and reduce turbo lag! Taking the time to properly tune a boost controller will yeild great results and a more enjoyable driving experience, so I hope most are not afraid to embrace this wonderful technology.

Going back to the MrHer0, I would do a compression test to start. Look for oil anywhere in the engine bay, and check your spark plugs. Chances are the piston rings are leaking a little which would explain the loss in power, and ability to spool the turbo levels at low rpms. There are many other possibilities as well but it's a start. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks joe!
Old 10-10-2007, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I told you not to mess with that thing. running a nice MBC is the way to go. yea you gotta pop the hood but hey, it's not that bad.

what pound spring are you running in the wastegate? remove EBC and running of the wastegate. perform a coolant dye test(kit is available at napa)

doesn't the 2az-fe have a MHG? if you your more likely to crack a ringland before blowing the HG.

check for boost leaks as well. hitting 16psi could have blow off a coupler or made one loose enough to leak
Old 10-10-2007, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just noticed that you removed the EBC and your boost creeping. i take it your not running an OEM exhaust. that can cause creep. also check how you have your wastegate lines setup. make your getting manifold vac and not ported vac.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea check 2 see is there are an leaks...look at all the vac lines....because i had the same problem 1 of them disconnected
Old 10-10-2007, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The greddy Profec is possibly the biggest POS I have ever used. It takes a ton of work to get it to work right and the single solenoid is unable to keep your boost from spiking or creeping. Get a MBC or spend the money on a dual solenoid unit.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

So get this, this morning I went out and Unhooked the Vac lines from the Profec and just plumbed the system back to stock (Bottom Wastegate Vac + Compressor Housing)

The car runs great, the boost is back, in fact, it's running better than it was before. The tone of the exhaust is normal again and everything seems to be in check.

I have the stock Turbonetics spring (8PSI?) Before I did any of this I took my car to get dyno'ed I was averaging 7.1PSI with a max or 7.6PSI, So I thought something was screwy, maybe a weak spring or something, so I decided to get the Profec to compensate for that lack.

Now with the system back to normal, I am somehow making 9-9.5PSI now... Weird eh?

The car is more powerful than before and it was a joy to drive today... so maybe it was just a miracle? I dunno...

BTW Joe, I did not set the boost increase to 50%, I set the START BOOST to 50 and the SET % Value to 1% That should have been 1% increase starting at Target Boost minus 4PSI which would be 50.

Not only that, I had the Limiter set at 10.5PSI and Warning at 10.5 I dont know, maybe something went haywire with the EBC.

Drew
Old 10-10-2007, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you were not boosting at low rpms, the gain could have been messed up causing the wastegate to open too early.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by tcengel
If you were not boosting at low rpms, the gain could have been messed up causing the wastegate to open too early.
Gain was set to 0% though, so it should not have been affecting anything, right?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm tell you the profec b is crap. get you a nice joe p MBC. just goggle JOE P and you'll find the link. it's the best MBC you can buy for the money. they even have an in-cabin one so you can dial in the boost from the cockpit
Old 10-10-2007, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by malloynx
i'm tell you the profec b is crap. get you a nice joe p MBC. just goggle JOE P and you'll find the link. it's the best MBC you can buy for the money. they even have an in-cabin one so you can dial in the boost from the cockpit
I believe you that it is crap, but I just paid mad loot for it and mad loot for it to be installed, so I dont want to totally have that be a sunk cost for me.

Can you tell me which products you are referring to on http://www.joepmbc.com/mbc.html

thanks,

drew
Old 10-10-2007, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ebay the profec to gain some losses. i threw mine away. i was so piised with it that i tossed it.

i like the xz mbc that joe p offers. i used it for years and i had no problems with it. hell i still might have it laying around. if i can find it, i'll let you have it
Old 10-10-2007, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As ussual malloy quietly coming to the rescue Nice to hear your car is running ok hero. When i blew a coupler off one of my pipes, i though i blew the motor from the sound. LOL, my stomach just sank! Oh well, now go boost!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mightygnu
Originally Posted by Angry_Celi_Guy
a little to much fast and the furious. lol

I say swap in the SR and motec exhausts right now before you have to go to Race Wars!

mmmmooooonnnnniiiiiicccccaaaa!

Quick Reply: Weird problem after overboosting...