Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Well, SEMA may have made a decision for me.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, me & a friend are in the process of taking it apart; the culprit? BOTH MOUNTS ARE BROKEN. How? I don't know, but all my friends damn well know I don't drive the car hard, I was driving 15mph in a parking lot when it happened,
Old 11-10-2008, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

So you should buy some new bearings, take care of this problem your having. I can facilitate that for ya if you wish.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kiss_kiss_kill
So, me & a friend are in the process of taking it apart; the culprit? BOTH MOUNTS ARE BROKEN. How? I don't know, but all my friends damn well know I don't drive the car hard, I was driving 15mph in a parking lot when it happened,
Did you have the updated braket on the pulley side? The supercharger side of my braket, one of the main bolts ripped out of the tranny and pwned the tread. Never cracked a bracket though, thats strange.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TURBO IT!
Old 11-10-2008, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gompka
Did you have the updated braket on the pulley side? The supercharger side of my braket, one of the main bolts ripped out of the tranny and pwned the tread. Never cracked a bracket though, thats strange.
Well, I was told the s/c came with the updated brackets, but I don't know how useful that was. There's quite a bit of crap thats gonna need to be replaced. The bearings seized obviously, the 2 mounts are broken, & 2 bolts are missing (WTF?! Did they fall out? Was this another fault in the original install?!). Also, when I took the shaft off, theres 3 prongs on the inside that grinded right through the 3 holes it's supposed to go into.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gompka
Well, I was told the s/c came with the updated brackets, but I don't know how useful that was. There's quite a bit of crap thats gonna need to be replaced. The bearings seized obviously, the 2 mounts are broken, & 2 bolts are missing (WTF?! Did they fall out? Was this another fault in the original install?!). Also, when I took the shaft off, theres 3 prongs on the inside that grinded right through the 3 holes it's supposed to go into.
yea when my bolt came loose it was barely hanging on I didn't lose it, but it was bent. Not sure if they used loc-tite on the bolts but they should! Check your shaft where the bearings are, i'm willing to bet it is scraped up pretty bad. TRD does not sell parts for the s/c and vortech won't sell them to you either. So it doesn't look good, are you still on warranty? With this much gone wrong I'm going to go ahead and tell you what everyone else is and that is to go turbo.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, they're scratched up pretty good. As far as TRD & Vortech, I have a hook up at Vortech, he was practically driving right behind me in my xB when it blew, too. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping he'll help me, he said he would. I'm taking the whole thing to him this week. If the parts that are broken/missing/damaged just need to be replaced, it shouldn't cost too much, and if it does, I'll be ____ed. Taking the supercharger apart made me realize how poor of quality the parts are; they seem so flimsy!
Old 11-10-2008, 06:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well good luck, hopefully you can get it fixed. The parts other than the bearings, are pretty standard. The shaft is a hollow aluminum tube, and the things the shaft connects to are plastic spacers. When i took mine apart the only thing that looked overly cheap were the bearings and the fact that they aren't lubricated properly.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You were aiming to be able to drive your tC more often and stuff, right? Your tC already grabs enough attention being as it is, so turbo is only going to make it worse. That said, I vote you go n/a if you don't want to bother with replacing the s/c.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would research in your area some Vortech supercharger people that can repair them and see how much it cost before I did anything drastic, if you go back N/A don't you have to replace the ECU?

This may be an option for you http://www.superchargedscions.com/Su...d_Options.html
Old 11-10-2008, 10:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, me & a friend are in the process of taking it apart; the culprit? BOTH MOUNTS ARE BROKEN.
Well, I was told the s/c came with the updated brackets, but I don't know how useful that was.
I don't know how far you would get, but I'd go back to Toyota with broken brackets in hand and tell them to replace it all again, and use the right brackets that they should have the first time. Wait about halfway through the "well, we don't know how hard yo-" speech, and then say "does this look like the kind of car someone would drive hard enough to break a supercharger bracket?"

If I were a cynic that made uneducated guesses, I would say they put one of their old and dusty s/c kits from the back on that didn't have the updated brackets.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

eh it could have been when I used the blower as a trampoline when u left the show...
Old 11-10-2008, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

YOU WOULD DO THAT, ALEX! Haha, that's why Dave was like, wtf? where's alex go!?

*oh there he is, jumping around in my engine bay*
Old 11-10-2008, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyota_scion_tc
I would research in your area some Vortech supercharger people that can repair them and see how much it cost before I did anything drastic, if you go back N/A don't you have to replace the ECU?

This may be an option for you http://www.superchargedscions.com/Su...d_Options.html
Vortech is local to me, only about a 40 minute drive. I know someone from there, too. They were driving 3 minutes behind me when it happened. He told me he'd take care of it. So, I guess only time will tell whether I'm going to be raped or not.. =/
Old 11-10-2008, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

boost is overrated! lol jk

do you really wanna stay on the supercharger route?
Old 11-10-2008, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like the bearing would go out again later down the road. i'd just ditch the s/c, turboing needs to be maintained even more so...the way i see it, nothing but headaches down the road and more $$ to fix these problems
Old 11-10-2008, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how about goin all N/A? i know that gude performance is out in cali and they have a head package specifically for the tC... projects as much horses as the trd s/c... let me know if ur interested i have a contact out there and i believe they might be looking for someone to sponsor
Old 11-10-2008, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scionarra
boost is overrated! lol jk

do you really wanna stay on the supercharger route?
If it's free, yes.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well if you wanna shoot for a sponsorship then why not try?

you interested?

http://gude.com/Products/xbtc.php
Old 11-10-2008, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Absolutely! They're about an hour and a half from me.

Quick Reply: Well, SEMA may have made a decision for me.