Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Well, SEMA may have made a decision for me.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

There is always the rebuild kit that was created:

http://www.superchargedscions.com/Su...d_Options.html
Old 11-10-2008, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's a good option. Maybe I'll go that route if Vortech can't fix it for free.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Turbo it Tina. Once you do, you'll wonder why you dealt with the slowcharger for as long as you did .
Old 11-10-2008, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's weird, I've driven mine hard from day one and no problems here, same dealer did the install on mine as well, I have a header, but I left the stock air box in place, you were running the cold air intake, which everybody knows makes your car run lean, could have that caused the problem? who knows(I'm sure there were many factors involved here, cause the cold air alone could not have caused everything), sorry to hear that Tina, hope you get it taken cared of, good luck.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

sorry to hear that tina about your car hopefully everything taken care of. good luck
Old 11-10-2008, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I highly doubt the cai had anything to do with it. I highly doubt the car was running lean either. Way too many things got damaged. I mean, a CAI can't cause a broken mount. I'm thinking one mount broke & that's why the housing was shaking like crazy which then probably caused the other mount to break. & well, the bearings are crap as it is & that's probably what caused the shaft to blow outta the housing. If it weren't for the oil line I could've probably pulled the whole housing out no problem without any tools.

I should post pics, I took tons last night when we took the supercharger apart.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by g2autosports
That's weird, I've driven mine hard from day one and no problems here, same dealer did the install on mine as well, I have a header, but I left the stock air box in place, you were running the cold air intake, which everybody knows makes your car run lean, could have that caused the problem? who knows(I'm sure there were many factors involved here, cause the cold air alone could not have caused everything), sorry to hear that Tina, hope you get it taken cared of, good luck.
False.

I have a CAI and my AFR's are just fine. Theres alot of speculation regarding this.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by checho10
False.

I have a CAI and my AFR's are just fine. Theres alot of speculation regarding this.
which intake are you running?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by checho10
False.

I've seen to many horror stories when it comes to this, no speculation, it has happened many times in the past, if yours might be one in a few, either that or you're not really getting a good A/F readings. Not calling you a liar, just saying it has happened many times so please lets not start a post war, don't want to thread jack here, not my intention, thank you.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kiss_kiss_kill
I highly doubt the cai had anything to do with it. I highly doubt the car was running lean either. Way too many things got damaged. I mean, a CAI can't cause a broken mount. I'm thinking one mount broke & that's why the housing was shaking like crazy which then probably caused the other mount to break. & well, the bearings are crap as it is & that's probably what caused the shaft to blow outta the housing. If it weren't for the oil line I could've probably pulled the whole housing out no problem without any tools.

I should post pics, I took tons last night when we took the supercharger apart.
It had to been running lean, unless you got it re-tuned, which I know you didn't, but once again like I said before the intake could not have caused all the issues on hand here, but I'm sure it did not help, once again not trying to cause drama here, I really hope you can get it fixed soon Tina, good luck.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Mine is at 12.7 under WOT with intake adn 9.5 pulley, header too.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Im running the Weapon R.

Im just saying that people are quick to blame the intakes for running lean, yet most people dont have an adequate wideband to measure were their AFR's were before AND after the installs, so it can't be solely blamed on CAI.

Kiss_Kiss I could have sworn you were Turbo.....DOOOO ITT :D
Old 11-10-2008, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by eujin
sounds like the bearing would go out again later down the road. i'd just ditch the s/c, turboing needs to be maintained even more so...the way i see it, nothing but headaches down the road and more $$ to fix these problems

Ask the turbo guys exactly how much maintenance they actually do.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

in a year I've changed the oil and a small leak. So travis is right.. I haven't really done any other maintenace! Haha
Old 11-10-2008, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Originally Posted by eujin
sounds like the bearing would go out again later down the road. i'd just ditch the s/c, turboing needs to be maintained even more so...the way i see it, nothing but headaches down the road and more $$ to fix these problems

Ask the turbo guys exactly how much maintenance they actually do.
0 maint so far. :D
Old 11-10-2008, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2 days doesn't count, Jon, lol.

By the way, cut your vac line.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Ahem, 1 week.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

haha cut your vac line mo fo!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Thank you turbo guys for weighing in on our UBER maintenance hassles. Turbo is no more maintenance than the S/C'er. And in this case....15mph driving and kaput! Turbo would be LESS of a hassle.

About the only things you have to worry about with a turbo would include:

- Crack in a manifold (due to excessive heat, and engine movement, which you mentioned that you don't even beat on your car, so no heat or un-necessary movement caused). This is not something that would happen after 15 mins of driving or anything. This is a problem that "could" come about after a months, years, decades of driving. It depends on what the manifold is made from (cast iron being the best and virtually will never crack).

- Excessive heat (due to improper tuning, which goes back to point one of the crack in a manifold. Since you get a tune by a reputable tuner, you eliminate this problem, unless you buy a kit that was not designed properly)

- Having to tune the car for seasons change, depending on where you live and if you actually HAVE seasons...lol. Which seasons come over a time period obviously.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

FFS why are you guys hating on my blue, obviously too long vacuum line .

Quick Reply: Well, SEMA may have made a decision for me.