Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

What does it take to get to 350whp??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default What does it take to get to 350whp??

I have a customer with a 06 Scion tC looking to make 350whp. So I have some ideas but I figure I would tap into the minds of some of you who either are making 350whp or know which combo is best. The customer currently has a Turbonetics setup. I believe that turbo with the setup is a T3/T04E or B? If so it's good up to about 350 crank HP I believe b/c that is what most of their setups are good for out of the package. So I'm assuming pistons, rings, rods, new turbo (something like a T3/T04E .60 trim, .63 A/R), and about 14-15psi. Will the UNICHIP be able to be custom tuned to make this HP and pull enough timing or do I have to change out the fuel management? Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

for 350, you'll need more I believe. The best numbers I've seen turbo'd are just short of 300. Maybe a different block?
Old 11-17-2006, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pffft 2AZ-FE goes away

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-08-2018 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think this one will attract a bit of fire...

Because most here will say your customer is retarded. Useable HP blah blah blah blah If drivetrain and suspension can handle it blah blah blah blah

But I understand you're just trying to get the job done.

Do you have any idea what stage kit that is?

Is your customer asking you to tune the turbo or just get the 350 whp? If the latter, what was the point of buying a turbo kit. Custom fabricated turbos will always outshine that cookie-cutter kit with the right tuning.

I won't pretend I know a whole lot about turbos cause I don't. I just know an equal-length manifold has far greater potential than the average log-style manifold. There are some who have even gone twin turbo. If your customer's planning to make over 250 whp, pistons, rings, rods, and transmission upgrades are probably gonna be important.

Does your client plan to have this as a daily driver?

O gawd, why do I see another tC-wreck in the not-so-near future?
Old 11-17-2006, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^ +1
Old 11-17-2006, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

GT3076R at 10psi and full exhaust makes 330whp.. crank to 11.5 and you have 350.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well I think that he, like most of us, bought a kit and thought it would be enough. It wasn't and so he wants more power. So utilizing the majority of the kit besides the turbo and buildilng the block what else does he need? Can he use the UNICHIP?
Old 11-17-2006, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zer0
GT3076R at 10psi and full exhaust makes 330whp.. crank to 11.5 and you have 350.
Dont forget some Meth injection to go with the above and the internals to hold the pain..
Old 11-17-2006, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Well I think that he, like most of us, bought a kit and thought it would be enough. It wasn't and so he wants more power. So utilizing the majority of the kit besides the turbo and buildilng the block what else does he need? Can he use the UNICHIP?
Who's most of us? A turbonetics kit is of great quality and potential, it's plenty. Learn how to tune SMART (it's not just about the HP), not to mention drive better, and it is plenty.

Your customer wants more HP to the wheel... well, how about a nice pair of sticky tires.

Your client wants a better, more agressive feel? How about some coil overs, sways, strut braces.

If your client wants to pour money in for better performance, go buy a different car. Why buy a car to tune if you're having someone else do all the tuning? For bragging rights? "my tC is better than your 350z!" it just cost more because I had to pay someone else to tune it...

I apologize if I come off as an asshat. But tonight I'm feeling like an asshat. You want your sugar coat, go buy yourself pixie sticks.

I'm done here.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:36 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The best advice i can offer is to contact Paul over at Dezod.com, he can def give you an honest no BS Setup idea.

Dezod: (954)757-7992

You will be glad you did
Old 11-17-2006, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by EnderSavesTheDay
Originally Posted by Excelerate
Who's most of us? A turbonetics kit is of great quality and potential, it's plenty. Learn how to tune SMART (it's not just about the HP), not to mention drive better, and it is plenty.

Your customer wants more HP to the wheel... well, how about a nice pair of sticky tires.

Your client wants a better, more agressive feel? How about some coil overs, sways, strut braces.

If your client wants to pour money in for better performance, go buy a different car. Why buy a car to tune if you're having someone else do all the tuning? For bragging rights? "my tC is better than your 350z!" it just cost more because I had to pay someone else to tune it...

I apologize if I come off as an asshat. But tonight I'm feeling like an asshat. You want your sugar coat, go buy yourself pixie sticks.

I'm done here.
First of all I've been in the business for years so don't respond to me like I am idiot. I asked for specific advice on a specific situation. Go take your asshat responses elsewhere. It's not my car but I can understand what he wants to do. I bought a Turbonetics kit for my car and have since modified it and built my block and am running more boost. Boost is addictive and while I don't think 350whp is necessary 300-325whp is not a bad goal. So please keep your philosophies out of this thread. I want hard data, experiences of what I need to change out or who has done and what they have liked. Otherwise I am just going to go with:

JE/CP Pistons
Carillo Rods

Turbonetics T3/T04 E .60 trim .63 A/R

550cc injectors

Either custom tune the UNICHIP further or take on the Emanage Ultimate
Old 11-17-2006, 03:38 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

~ 300whp on their T.E.A. spec'ed T3/T4 @ 10.5lbs
Old 11-17-2006, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And consider an LSD. Promotes even tire wear. :D
Old 11-17-2006, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Tubular turbo manifold, injectors, and standalone. Unichip is junk for that much hp, E manage is junk all around IMO but it might do the trick. 350whp is pushin it on stock internals. So I'd suggest a rebuild cause someone told me one blew up around 440 crank. And it will take 440 crank to put 350 to the wheels. Tubular manifold, Good twin ball bearing turbo, 18g is a good size, 3 inch exhaust and somewhere between 800 and 1000cc injectors. I use this to calculate injectors but I dont know the exact psi for the fuel system of the TC http://rceng.com/technical.htm#WORKSHEET Good luck to you man
Old 11-17-2006, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

What kind of dyno do you have for tuning?
Old 11-17-2006, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol I went to delete the post but it had already been replied to

it's been a bad day, no excuses, just a reason

haha turns out I did all the flaming, huzzah! cheers to SL
Old 11-17-2006, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

get a different car!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And it will take 440 crank to put 350 to the wheels.
Yea, on an AWD platform. With the tC, you see about 10-12% power lost in the drivetrain.

As for 350hp on a tC, it's probably doable. You may want to sit down with the guy and advise him of other options outside of just pure horsepower, unless of course he's just giving you a blank check.

You'll probably want to switch to a standalone ecu like the AEM (or just the AEM, since I think it's the only one available for the tC) so you can tune outside of just WOT. With that much power, you'll need something that stands absolutely no chance of being overwritten by the pesky factory computer. One little hiccup and boom.

A fully built block is a no-brainer.

Meth injection is probably a good idea for the amount of boost you'll be running. Just be sure to include a failsafe or two because of that previously mentioned boom.

Other than that...ehh...make sure he knows that you'll only take his first born and not the other, lesser quality children.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbo upgrade. Lower comp pistions. Forged H-Beam or A-beam carillo rods.

Then you need either an ACT Race or Spec stage 4+ Clutch.

EMS - Emanage has the ability to do it, along with the ultimate, but you still need partial throttle control, otherwise a built motor running 14+ psi with an AFR of 14.7 will cook in a matter of minutes. We have a solution for that so if you're interested let me know.

The only other option to tune ALL AIR/FUEL vaules is a full stand-alone. I'd find out how much the customer is willing to spend for this HP level. From there feel free to post up and Paul and I will give you the suggestions you need to get it on it's way.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Concept in Motion Crew

hmmm about $3,000k......

Quick Reply: What does it take to get to 350whp??