Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

What front mount do people want?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Screw the bumper beam I say. I always remove it. Make room for better cooling. You can actually even get a 4 inch thick core back there if you want. I've used them before on a few applications.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:23 PM

Lets clarify something. I asked a simple question on what intercooler people would be more interested in and if they would remove stock bumper. I never said that i had the best grammar or writing skills. I try to spend my time in the shop working on cars and making better parts for people. I will be releasing a turbo kit and it will include a couple of different intercooler options. I will not argue the point of the intercooler being damaged was simply trying to state the intercooler will replace stock bumper for impact reasons. I would like to offer the intercooler without piping also to just replace smaller cores.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

well we were just saying as a community that the info you stated would pretty much be physically inpossible.
and seeing as you have a product that your trying to sell, u should be as accurate and honest in all your statement or that will turn people like us away from you and your products.

not trying to start isht, im just sayin.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So let us clarify:

Originally Posted by xceptionalauto
I will be releasing a turbo kit and it will include a couple of different intercooler options.
So you were really just asking for our opinion so it'll help you design your turbo kit, right?

If so, have both options available. Have the piping made so that it will accommodate either core, large or small. The only thing user will need to do is remove bumper support.

Originally Posted by xceptionalauto
I will not argue the point of the intercooler being damaged was simply trying to state the intercooler will replace stock bumper for impact reasons.
That is a scary thought. There is no way an intercooler can ever replace a bumper support for impact reasons. The fact that you thought this makes me question your reasoning skills. This is not an attack - just a concerned reaction.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agreed... A bumper is engineered to take an imact, made of heavy dense steel...

An intercooler, not so much... Yes you can say that it will replace the bumper... But heck, anything you put in there will...

Just make sure you have a wicked catch-all disclaimer and statements stating that in no way does the intercooler act as a replacement for the bumper, in the event of a front end accident...

I'd hate to see someone be mislead, resulting in a tragic event.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you guys jumped the gun i have seen people use inter coolers that are built into factory crash bats like using round stock to still maintain some support in event of a crash i have seen some take place of factory foam bar with ducting so air reaches behind the crash bar i hope you see what i am saying i dont know how to describe it
Old 07-16-2008, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
you guys jumped the gun i have seen people use inter coolers that are built into factory crash bats like using round stock to still maintain some support in event of a crash i have seen some take place of factory foam bar with ducting so air reaches behind the crash bar i hope you see what i am saying i dont know how to describe it
I know what you're talking about - but he was referring to removing the bumper support all together and using just the IC as a crash barrier. There's no way your IC and piping will support any crash. Yes it will crumble like a stock bumper would, but it wouldn't absorb nearly as much force.

The system you're talking about replaces the stock bumper support with a strong piece of metal across the front of the car with the IC built into it.. this is totally different.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok got ya lol well i will be using the garret core from turbo yotas soon
Old 07-16-2008, 02:28 PM

It is crazy how much you people would rather argue than just answer a few simple questions. First off have you seen my intercooler setups? So how can you just assume that there is not a reinforcement built back into it? It is so funny that everyone is an engineer on the forums and everyone acts like they know more than they do. No one that has replied here has ever seen one of these intercoolers but is so quick to say something negative. How about trying to answer a couple of the questions. And not all crash bumpers are made of dense steel!
Old 07-16-2008, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Please post pics of your intercooler setups.

I understand if you don't have any Scion specific ones yet - as that's why you started this thread.

But please post pics of other kits you have made - more specifically ones you've made with a crash bar.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xceptional, correct... but you get the idea... I'd like to see a Scion specific larger core setup w/ support... Something about seeing a huge intercooler through both grills just runs some people goo goo gaa gaa...

Best bet would be through some pics up, correct your first thread stating it won't be just a bare intercooler, but something w/ support added...

And something I personally would like to see, is something that could bolt in, using the oem bumper mounts... That'd be pretty wicked, as I hated drilling my radiator support to mount my existing intercooler...
Old 07-16-2008, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

with all do respect, there answering your questions, from what i gather, 90% of the people on here do not want to remove there crash bar. which means if you want to market to tc customers (which there is a lot of) than make an ic set-up with a smaller core!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:41 PM

Thank you, this is the kind of responses I was looking for. So most people are not interested in taking the bumper off? I am getting started on my prototype as soon as I figure what cores to use and will post some pics soon. That is why i asked if people were more interested in the smaller core because it cost alot more to build the support back into the intercooler with the bigger core. Do people just prefer the larger intercooler with just mounting brackets? If the bigger core is used the mounting points regardless would be the stock bumper bolts. Which cores do most people want. I know most of the time it is about the price so most people sacrifice some efficiency with cheap intercooler. I believe in using better cores but if no one wants them it is pointless. I will either use the garret or griffin cores for my shop car and will use them in others if that is what people want.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

use the garret cores they are nice
Old 07-16-2008, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

this could be interesting
Old 07-17-2008, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well everyone is always trying to get the best bang for the buck so keep that in mind. im not sure what types/sizes/brands of cores you have so i cannot really tell you for sure. keep in mind though that yes squeezing as much hp as possible is nice, but most tc's are only looking to run sub 300hp. you dont need a massive core for that however there should be an option for the guys with large pockets trying to make big numbers. as the old saying goes, keep it simple!
Old 07-17-2008, 04:57 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Guru
Screw the bumper beam I say. I always remove it. Make room for better cooling. You can actually even get a 4 inch thick core back there if you want. I've used them before on a few applications.
really? hmm. this isn't going to be a daily driver so would that make a real difference?
Old 07-17-2008, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry cant read to well when im watching the best sport ever....FUTBOL!

So thats why this be edited.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

he said he is going to be manufacturing turbo kits and wants to know what type of front mount we would like. i think he should do a stage 0 with a no intercooler (like zpi). stage 1 have a small intercooler, and stage 2 (large front mount ic). Guys who want decent and acceptable numbers in the 250-300 range should be able to get a direct bolt on kit without big money or removing the crash bar which is a must for daily driving!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by youngflyer
he said he is going to be manufacturing turbo kits and wants to know what type of front mount we would like. i think he should do a stage 0 with a no intercooler (like zpi). stage 1 have a small intercooler, and stage 2 (large front mount ic). Guys who want decent and acceptable numbers in the 250-300 range should be able to get a direct bolt on kit without big money or removing the crash bar which is a must for daily driving!
I could agree with that for the exception of the whole stage 0 part, not a big fan of no ic

Quick Reply: What front mount do people want?