Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

What is the highest PSI one could run

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What is the highest PSI one could run

What is the safest/most efficient PSI one could run their turbo on a stock 2AZFE engine? Or what range? From what i've gatherd, running 9 psi is do-able for the occasional race, but 5psi is better for everyday driving? Does that seem right? I'm still in the learning phase so any info is appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

seems to be a kit like the zpi stage 0 is the mildest out there running 6 psi and making 230 with the stock ecu and injector, anything more, turbonetics, zpi stage 1, dezoid etc is going to run 8 psi+ requiring larger injectors, intercooler and are past the limits of the stock engine managment requiring a piggyback ecu and a custom tune and getting close to the stock limits of the clutch. In my opinion the limit of the car for daily use and decent life out of the motor. so the short answer is with the right setup, intercooler, great tune, oil cooler, turbo timer, on time oil changes premium fuel etc etc, 10 psi? 300+ reliably with all the right mods and maintnence. But thats what it seems like to me is the limit on pump gas and stock internals and still have the thing live for awhile
Personaly if your worried about the life of the motor, run 6 psi and beat the snot outa it. I plan on running a zpi stage 0 and running it into the ground.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by redwar1441
seems to be a kit like the zpi stage 0 is the mildest out there running 6 psi and making 230 with the stock ecu and injector, anything more, turbonetics, zpi stage 1, dezoid etc is going to run 8 psi+ requiring larger injectors, intercooler and are past the limits of the stock engine managment requiring a piggyback ecu and a custom tune and getting close to the stock limits of the clutch. In my opinion the limit of the car for daily use and decent life out of the motor. so the short answer is with the right setup, intercooler, great tune, oil cooler, turbo timer, on time oil changes premium fuel etc etc, 10 psi? 300+ reliably with all the right mods and maintnence. But thats what it seems like to me is the limit on pump gas and stock internals and still have the thing live for awhile
Personaly if your worried about the life of the motor, run 6 psi and beat the snot outa it. I plan on running a zpi stage 0 and running it into the ground.
Yea, I was thinking the same thing. So at 6 psi, an intercooler isn't a necessity? Above that, it is much more needed? Really, I don't need too much more than 230HP at this point. Maybe in the future. :D
Old 01-25-2007, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no intercooler needed at 6 psi.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can't just focus on psi, you have to consider flow volume/rate. Not all turbo are the same. In other words a turbo in the GT25 line @ 10psi isn't going to make nearly as much power as a turbo in the GT35 line @ 10psi.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrodTc
Originally Posted by redwar1441
Yea, I was thinking the same thing. So at 6 psi, an intercooler isn't a necessity? Above that, it is much more needed? Really, I don't need too much more than 230HP at this point. Maybe in the future. :D

Trust me, that future will come a lot faster than you think...

9.5/9.8 PSI here daily driven (10-10.2 PSI when it's cold enough), snot beat'n, ZPI Stage 1 here. Raced on the weekends, and quite often at stop lights when we are just board and want to feel the power.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive been running 6psi for the last 30k miles with no problems, i have an intercooler on mine, i run a 20g and get on it pretty often but i also drive it about 1000-1200 miles a week. motors held up pretty good at 6psi IMO
Old 01-28-2007, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do u have a specific turbo kit or did u build ur kit from scratch, was considering it but not sure if it made sense, what do u think?
Old 01-28-2007, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

considering what? a custom kit?

mine is a custom kit and if you know what you are doing its the best way to get exactly what you want for the right price.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree, i'm putting together a full kit including fuel managment for under 2500. and this is usually quality parts and not cutting corners.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZEROmotorsports
considering what? a custom kit?

mine is a custom kit and if you know what you are doing its the best way to get exactly what you want for the right price.
so how much did you spend building your custom turbo?
Old 01-29-2007, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here is where i'm at

350....ATP cast turbo manifold
465.....16g turbo from machv
285......ATP downpipe
100.... oil lines from summit. ( aeroquip pushlocks)
250..... ebay intercooler.. ( there actually great coolers)
200...... tial BOV
200.... 2.5 inch intercooler piping and couplers
275... denso 550 injectors..
275....... s-afc2

so right there is about 2200$ and i'm sure i'll spend another 100 on various B.S. i've been boosting cars for the past 10yrs and the scion is going to be very easy to turbo.

also to save some cash i'm gonig to keep the internal gate. i have used internal gates before and i don't mind them at all. i've made over 600rwhp on an internal gate holding 30psi just fine
Old 01-29-2007, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm also building a custom turbo kit from scratch, and i'll be around $3500 with mine. If you don't have any experience, and want to piece together a kit, you either need to find someone to guide you, or just buy a kit for now. I also have $4k+ in the motor/head alone, so obviously my daily psi and your daily psi will vary.

I would recommend using an intrcooler no matter how much boost you run. i'm not saying that its needed, but it deff makes your turbo system more effecient.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool, thanks for all your input fellas. I've been in contact with a local shop who will do the install and I'm still deciding between two set-ups. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by malloynx
here is where i'm at

350....ATP cast turbo manifold
465.....16g turbo from machv
285......ATP downpipe
100.... oil lines from summit. ( aeroquip pushlocks)
250..... ebay intercooler.. ( there actually great coolers)
200...... tial BOV
200.... 2.5 inch intercooler piping and couplers
275... denso 550 injectors..
275....... s-afc2
Make sure that 16g is a Mitsubishi EVO III 16g, most reliable 16g out there. Also for the Tial BOV, you can get a DSM 1G BOV which I used to hold 23 psi with no problems for only $25. Ebay intercoolers, just type in intercooler and you'll find them for $100. And for the intercooler piping, what I did with my last turbo car I went to a shop and got 8 feet of aluminum 2.5 inch piping for only $60. For all the weird turns and what not I just used angled couplers.

My future setup:
Turbo manifold ------------ Custom
MHI 16g ------------------ $450
Turbo back ---------------- $200 Custom local shop
Steel braided oil lines ------ $50
Intercooler Setup ---------- $250
Denso 550 injectors ------- $275
Custom Ram Air Intake ---- $75
DSM 1G BOV -------------- $25
Apexi SAFC II ------------- $200

Total ---------------------- $1525

In the end I might just go with a kit if they become cheaper but if not I have that list in my pocket