Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

What is "tuning (w/emanage)?" I don't get it at al

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What is "tuning (w/emanage)?" I don't get it at al

I truly don't understand how tuning works. So if I were to connect the Greddy emanage ultimate to my ecu and install the software into my laptop and open up the program to tune the ECU. What is it? Numbers being adjusted and such?

The reason why I'm asking this is because once I get my s/c installed with the 9.5psi or 12psi pulley, I'm going to have my brother in-law tune it with the emanage but what is he going to do exactly? He claims to know how to use an emanage to work on ECUs (he's a mechanic and has studied vehicles and the like) but I myself don't understand what he will be doing, so if any of you can clue me in so in case it turns out he doesn't know what exactly to do to push more whp out of my s/c and my current mods, I can find it here and print it out and have him do it...

If that was confusing and you still can't understand, then try this. If I were to take it out to a tune shop, what would they do? I need instructions and numbers, like if I were to do it myself... Thanks for the help!
Old 03-05-2007, 02:25 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

First off, You wont be able to tune it yourself. It takes alot of practice. As for your brother, he probably wont be able to do it without a Dyno. (it can be done on a street but you have to be able to run WOT to do it.

As far as what tunning is does; The factory ECU is set to run certain amount of air, fule, timing, spark, cam rotation and everything else you could imagine. The problem with adding parts is it means you need to add more air and fuel and change your injector duty cylces and all. When it is tuned you change the amount of air and fuel being in jected at different RPM ranges. Usually in plus or minus by percentages. If you do the wrong percentage, you could run terribly lean and have major issues. The numbers arent concrete across the board, so know one can say SET IT TO THIS AND YOU WILL BE FINE.
As far as the Emanage Ultimate it has 5 seperate issues to adress.

Its not for someone practicing that is for sure.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Please dont let ur brother do it...pay a TUNER to do it.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes get a tuner to do it. you will need a dyno to get it dyno tuned.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the input, the only problem is, I don't know any tuners around here in Nor Cal. I would have to find someone in the San Jose area to install/tune my car, cuz if my dad were to install it, we would have to tow it across 680 south just to get it tuned. Thanks for the input though guys! oh and Nick06tC, I'll probably see u in Iraq either this summer or sometime next year!
Old 03-05-2007, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First of all, it is recommended that you take it to a tuner shop to tune your car.

Now, if you really want to do it yourself (or your bro-in-law) to tune it. You will need a Wideband to see your AFR's. No way around it. I recommend any from AEM, PLX, etc they are all good.

Your bro-in-law (if he really knows what he is doing) is going to change the map settings at different rpm points to +/- fuel. Which generally you want to shoot for around low to mid 11's on your wideband at WOT on FI cars.

There's more to it but that's gist of it.