Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

white smoke coming from exhaust... any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If its raining it might be simpley that. Also i had a bad turbo gasket. (black smoke=ok, running rich)(White smoke= be concerend) ( white/blue=not so good, make sure your oil isnt cloudy,also check your water levels, and turbo seels.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blitzblue1032
ok, imma go check it as soon as it stops raining, which should be here soon. just outta curiosity, if there IS water in my oil and it is caused by a blown head gasqet, does that mean that my engine is shot? or does it just mean that i have to flush my oil and cooling systems and replace the gasqet, so long as nothing is bent or warped or nething of that nature?
It depends. The situation negatively effects the bearings, so you may not see anything wrong without looking at them directly (or the crank/rod journals). Whether or not they're damaged and to what extent depends on the water content and how much the engine has been operated. You might get lucky, and it might be worth a shot to just do a flush, but if a bearing fails later you could wind up with some expensive damage, so it might be worth replacing them at the same time as the head gasket as cheap insurance against failure.

No matter, as I'd bet you don't have water in the oil anyway, it's likely just the expected condensation, as I stated earlier. Now get out there and find out!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whats wrong with black smoke DaGreat1, last time I checked black smoke usually means ur running rich buddy
Im not saying there is anything wrong with it all i said was....

If it was black smoke ....or white/blue smoke then you have a problem
I never said it was a bad problem....i just said its a problem that needs to be taken care of you dont want to be running rich forever becausre your going to be burning madd FUEL...and i dont think he wants to do that
Old 04-13-2007, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
Scikotics
SL Member

1 ? what is the temp outside when this happens at around 50 and below my car also does this disappers about 1 foot from the exhaust outlet happens the most when i am just driven around normal if i beat the hell out of my car the let it cool it doesn't do it because there its a chance for water droplets to form in the exhaust if the car has no problem starting and runs good i wouldn't say you have a head gasket problem 1 other way to see if the head is poped when the car is hot take your overflow tube off and put it in a bottle of water (when its hot} if its cold it will bubble do to the natural expantion of heat but if the car is hot it shouldn't bubble its just a simple test and it don't cost anything but you drinking a soda.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by fox
White smoke = Condensation or coolant

Blue smoke = Oil (burning from oil getting into combustion chamber)

Black smoke = Fuel (running rich)

Any other color...your either high or don't know what your taking about
Blue smoke could also be a leak of oil within your turbo housing...

This was my situation, I opened up my hood and revved the engine to about 6k RPM and i started seeing oil spraying out from the turbo on the downpipe side.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well dont mean to thread jack or n e thing but today when i was at a stop sign i saw a thick layer of white smoke that came from the driver's side vent and outside which looked like the wheel well area. The smoke lasted until i pulled over (which was like 15 sec.) and i opened my hood and checked the radiator and tried to locate the scent of the smoke. I was not able to locate anything wrong.

My question is what could have caused that white smoke coming from the vent and outside?
Old 05-03-2007, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Cheech129
well dont mean to thread jack or n e thing but today when i was at a stop sign i saw a thick layer of white smoke that came from the driver's side vent and outside which looked like the wheel well area. The smoke lasted until i pulled over (which was like 15 sec.) and i opened my hood and checked the radiator and tried to locate the scent of the smoke. I was not able to locate anything wrong.

My question is what could have caused that white smoke coming from the vent and outside?
Well, I am not quite sure. I also had smoke coming from my vents when I had my blown seal.

I recently sent in my turbo for warranty work to turbonetics and they replaced it and all of my smoke problems went away after about 20miles on the new turbo.

Open your hood, rev your engine and have someone watch in the engine compartment and see if you see anything weird.

thats my advice. good luck
Old 05-03-2007, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool thanks. i forgot to add though that i wasn't boosted. hahaha. i want to be but scared to get a fix it ticket for a turbo.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by MrHer0
Originally Posted by fox
White smoke = Condensation or coolant

Blue smoke = Oil (burning from oil getting into combustion chamber)

Black smoke = Fuel (running rich)

Any other color...your either high or don't know what your taking about
Blue smoke could also be a leak of oil within your turbo housing...

This was my situation, I opened up my hood and revved the engine to about 6k RPM and i started seeing oil spraying out from the turbo on the downpipe side.

And I'm pretty much 95% positive that this is the problem that he is having, as well as MOST of turbo tC's out there. For some reason, does not matter what turbo it is, need to let the car warm up completely (you know, when the needle stops in the middle on the temp gauge), and this does not happen.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

odd question but when was the last time you had an oil change?

and no a blown head gasket means you just need to replace it. it takes a while but your motor should be fine.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by nebster
odd question but when was the last time you had an oil change?

and no a blown head gasket means you just need to replace it. it takes a while but your motor should be fine.

Oil changes also will cause the turbo seals to leak a little, causing smoke to come out the exhaust.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depending upon how hot your exhost system got it would contain water if cool and make white vapors as the water in he pipe gets warmed up. You can also get vapors off the radiator as the coolent warms up in the engine and heats the radiator moisture on the outside from condensation on it from the night time cooler air. Don't be opening the radiator cap only the overflow bottle and check the level when hot or cold - if too high when hot you may have a head gasket leak forcing air into the cooling system forcing coolent out of the engine.