Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

white smoke out the breather and tailpipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:14 AM
SL Member

Default white smoke out the breather and tailpipe

alright i have a 06 tc turboed. i rebuilt the turbo seals everything and balanced. well i put everything together last night and started it up a little smoke cause the turbo went bad and shot oil into my intake before i rebuilt the turbo. i figured that the oil would burn out after a little while no big deal, well it was done for over a month and now i get it all back together and now its smoking white smoke like a blowen head gasket would. but the oil is clean meaning the head gasket is fine. white smoke is coming from my vaule cover and from the tailpipe. what could this be? i have some input from a couple guys around my area saying that the vaule seals went bad but the car only has 37000 miles on it. would that be a cause of this? would do you guys think? thanks chris
Old 02-23-2009, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

piston rings
Old 02-23-2009, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep, sounds like a ring. the turbo will also pressurize your oil system because of the cracked ring and not allow your turbo to drain right, so you might wanna re-check the turbo depending how many miles you put on it after the rebuild.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well on our motor ill be honest its more than likely ring landings - which means new pistons and most likely will have to be bored to 89mm due to cylinder wall scoring from the damaged ring landings.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Piston rings and or head gasket... I hope you this doesnt spoil your weekend.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same problem. Except doesn't smoke that bad on the tailpipe.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:50 AM
SL Member

f*C* i knew it. the turbo has about maybe at most 20 miles on it after the rebuild. i have only had the car for 3 months. and in a loan. at 18 still in school. rough guess about how much will this cost me? i guess prob in the grand area?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by deeravenger
f*C* i knew it. the turbo has about maybe at most 20 miles on it after the rebuild. i have only had the car for 3 months. and in a loan. at 18 still in school. rough guess about how much will this cost me? i guess prob in the grand area?
Where are you located?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I may be joining you on this one too, ive had alot of white smoke out of the tail pipe recently, and it kinda smells like oil

Im going to say to fix this 1500-3000 (including labor) You might have to bore it out if your rings wrecked the insides, and probobly going to need new pistons too.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MY VALVE COVER SMOKES ALot out of the breather but smells like fuel though. i still think its my piston rings. plus the i dont think my meth kit is leaking.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:47 AM
SL Member

iam located in maryland. and i did the tests today to figure out exactly what it is. did the compression test and all cylinders read dead min psi which is 140. execpt cylinder number 2 which read 90. me and my dad are going to rebuild the car bore it out and put forged pistons in it and everything we figured it up to be around 1300 bucks thats me and him doing the labor ourselves. i think it will be a fun and learning experence for me sense iam taken automotive now. that car is going to be fast as he** oh anther way to tell if its piston rings is if the white smoke is kinda sweet smelling and it should smell like a little gas. its blow by gas. which is cause inside the crankcase. adventually your car wont run at all. mine died today driving it and all of a sudden it ran real rich iam thinking the o2 sensors may have been cloged with oil or some type of residue causing it to think its running lean dumping fuel into my compression stroke. i had to get the car towed to my house lets just say its been a long day.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by deeravenger
iam located in maryland. and i did the tests today to figure out exactly what it is. did the compression test and all cylinders read dead min psi which is 140. execpt cylinder number 2 which read 90. me and my dad are going to rebuild the car bore it out and put forged pistons in it and everything we figured it up to be around 1300 bucks thats me and him doing the labor ourselves. i think it will be a fun and learning experence for me sense iam taken automotive now. that car is going to be fast as he** oh anther way to tell if its piston rings is if the white smoke is kinda sweet smelling and it should smell like a little gas. its blow by gas. which is cause inside the crankcase. adventually your car wont run at all. mine died today driving it and all of a sudden it ran real rich iam thinking the o2 sensors may have been cloged with oil or some type of residue causing it to think its running lean dumping fuel into my compression stroke. i had to get the car towed to my house lets just say its been a long day.
Make sure you change the head bolts to studs (stock head bolts should NOT be reused as they are torque to yield) also pick up a really good torque wrench that can read torque angle. Other then that you should be ok... Good luck with everything, post if u need info.