Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

who makes the best turbo kit??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod

Todd,

You can't speak 100% of quality yet, because you haven't had kits out as long as we have. We’ve sold many kits since 2005, and those all still run well. Your kits have been here for less than 2 years but they're somehow of higher quality? Does that mean they last longer than ours? We have cars with over 60k miles on them on our kits. They continue to run fine. The only failure on a kit with over 60k miles on it was due to an RC Injector failure, which no longer comes with our kits. I believe you still use RC Injectors which requires the end user to cut off their fuel injector clips and wire in their own. Ours are OEM quality Plug and Play injectors, with flow-charts on each injector included. I can't recall the last person that had cracked any of our parts.

We had a couple small QC issues with less than 5 downpipes. It led to a SLIGHT fitment problem. Others have spoken of fitment problems with your kits as well, so I guess we're even there. Our turbo manifolds do not break either. The welds are of the highest quality, and we have the manufacturing down to a science, so every manifold matches the last. We chose a log for reliability on the street, and for a faster spool up. Logs make more torque and give a better mid-range power band. The tubular manifolds are better for top-end where flow starts to get strained (for applications over 300whp).

The next one you say is for best performance for the dollar, rather than best performance. I say it's close and depends on the car and tune. We have more cars over 300whp at the base 8psi than anyone else in the Scion industry. Our bolt on kit on 07+'s makes over 300whp on almost every car it's been bolted on to. The 05+'s have been scattered, and so have yours. We've seen the power bands online, and so have you. I noticed that some owners at less boost still managed more midrange torque than your more expensive setup, so touche there . As far as for the money, the last post of the extreme kit, which I believe costs more, made less power than our base street kit. Your base street kit is selling less than a couple hundred dollars shy of our own. So for bang for the buck, I guess would be in the air.

I'm sorry to attack but honestly some of the stuff on here lately is pretty frustrating. You indiscreetly attack or question every thread we have, but have no problem having over 10 threads a day about your own product. I don't mind competition, or you having as many threads as you want. But when we have a thread, stop asking us what our turbo specs are and what works and what doesn't. Do the R&D yourself, and stop trying to take what we've done to figure out a less expensive angle. I've PM'd you asking to speak via phone, gave you my number, and told you when I was available. I try to be civil so we don't step on each other's toes, yet you refuse to speak professionally about the kits and Scion parts. Our goal is to develop the parts with unique features and benefits, and share resources. It hasn't been to make a kit cheaper and cheaper and cheaper. Yes you keep coming out with less expensive kits, but you're offering kits with no intercooler or EMS? You know about turbos, you should know that offering a turbo kit to a non-turbo'd car requires some type of engine management, and the necessary cooling.

Our kits cost more because we're just as concerned with the end-user's long term reliability as we are with our own kits. We do not cut necessary parts out because we know what it takes to offer a complete package that’s safe for long term use. ALL of our kits are track ready, with the necessary cooling upgrades (radiator for example). We play it safe, and develop things with the proper R&D necessary to provide quality product. We've been doing this for years and I think our kits speak for themselves. We're also the number 1 D17 turbo manufacturer in the industry.

I’m sorry to rant on another poster’s thread. This wasn’t a big enough deal for me or Dezod/Dezod West to post up an individual thread. When I see you say how superior your stuff is, it sent me over the edge. Keep in mind our turn time is less than two weeks on all kits, with shipping time included! Most kits go out within 3 days, depending on turbo choice.

Last but not least, I am not speaking for Paul or the guys from Dezod Motorsports. We work together but do not speak on each other’s behalf. I will leave it up to Paul to speak his own opinion, as it is separate from ours at Dezod West.
I would venture to say you hit the nail on the head for the most part Joe. I do not have much else to add other than we are constantly refining our receipe to provide an upmost comprehensive system for the masses to enjoy at an attractive price WITHOUT 4-6 week delays and unparalleled performance. We also offer phone and tech support via email throughout the week from 9:30AM to 5:30 PM EST. We typically answer emails within 2-4 hours during the business days and phone calls immediatley. We are also a stocking manufacturer who stocks anywhere from $30-60K in just our components at all times. There is a reason we are the highest volume. All of what Joe posted, and including my brief ramble here. I rest my case.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought of one other minor detail as well ...

None of our charge pipes have welds on them. They are all 1-piece pipes that are mandrel bent. I think that would be the ultimate in reliability, when you don't have to worry about welds right?

Let's not forget that we pretune our kits as well. Our EMS's are truly PnP, and you can drive it right after you install the kit. No need to go changing jumpers, settings, and the tune here. The tune is only if you wanna get that extra oomph.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

I thought of one other minor detail as well ...

None of our charge pipes have welds on them. They are all 1-piece pipes that are mandrel bent. I think that would be the ultimate in reliability, when you don't have to worry about welds right?

Let's not forget that we pretune our kits as well. Our EMS's are truly PnP, and you can drive it right after you install the kit. No need to go changing jumpers, settings, and the tune here. The tune is only if you wanna get that extra oomph.
Absolutely! Except the FIC is not pretuned. We offer a basemap for the tuner to cut down on tune time for the customer, but it is nearly impossible to have a "pretuned" system due to octane and altitude differences around the country. But, atleast we offer the map to get into the right direction.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I should have been more clear with that one lol. The tune does work very well though! I didn't have to change much on Alex's car after we installed it.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hook, Line and Sinker!

Now enough fighting, get back to work!
Old 04-14-2008, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Joe is right! I after we installed the kit, I drove the car right after we were done and drove it home and around a little bit and the car is still running strong to this day!
Old 04-14-2008, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dezod and TurboToyotas are pretty much the two "Super Powers" as far as turbo companies that support Scion. My preference would be TT over all because i have experienced other turbo manufacturers and was not as impressed. Turbonetics and Greddy just didnt have what i exactly wanted so i decided to do custom.

As far as i can see TT is more customizable (pre-order) so it would probably be more difficult to keep that many parts in stock seeing as how almost every kit is different according to what the customer desires. This is of course after hearing EVERY option possible and hearing an IMMENSE amount of advice to help choose the right components to make the customer the most happy.

I have nothing but good things to say about TT and Todds customer service and tech support. Hell the man even flys (drives, runs, bicycles,etc...LOL) around the country installing his own kits and fixing problems on the rare occasion that they occur. And, its my understanding, some of his kits (SIMPLE) are even being installed by dealers for customers who were waiting on the SCs for their xB2s...being installed by dealer means they are backed by the warranty especially since the dealer is offering the trade-off...NOW THATS IMPRESSIVE.

I'm not bad mouthing any one company and over praising another. Just speaking my mind from my own experiences. So no flaming please for my opinion (if u even have a reason too).

Old 04-14-2008, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

paul...yoru new alluminum has no welds in it? all mandrel bent?...

anyway, we could settle this once and for all if you would just let TurboToyotas represent fully at the dezod west AZ event...
Old 04-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty

anyway, we could settle this once and for all if you would just let TurboToyotas represent fully at the dezod west AZ event...
The BETA ones have 4 welds total. 1 for MAF, 1 for BOV, 1 for PCV tube and one for a tight radius bend.

They can register for show, no prob. They can register for race, no prob. Not sure what you're referring to.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty

The BETA ones have 4 welds total. 1 for MAF, 1 for BOV, 1 for PCV tube and one for a tight radius bend.

They can register for show, no prob. They can register for race, no prob. Not sure what you're referring to.
But not as a group (show)...separately correct? I thought u guys werent allowing it.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by SHDWtC
And, its my understanding, some of his kits (SIMPLE) are even being installed by dealers for customers who were waiting on the SCs for their xB2s...being installed by dealer means they are backed by the warranty especially since the dealer is offering the trade-off...NOW THATS IMPRESSIVE.

Is that really true? what dealership is doing it?
Old 04-14-2008, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as i can see TT is more customizable (pre-order) so it would probably be more difficult to keep that many parts in stock seeing as how almost every kit is different according to what the customer desires. This is of course after hearing EVERY option possible and hearing an IMMENSE amount of advice to help choose the right components to make the customer the most happy.
Just to play devils advocate, you can fully customize a Dezod kit as well.

Choice of Engine Management
Choice of Turbo Size
Choice of SS or Aluminum Intercooler
Choice of Intercooler Size
Choice of Injectors Size be it 550 or larger

The list goes on and on, its all about what the user wants. I talked hours, no probably Days with Paul_Dezod on what I wanted when I ordered my kit. You can customize any kit, just have to pony up the dollar bills!
Old 04-14-2008, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am not allowing Todd or Turbo Toyotas to set up a booth there. He can attend, I never told him no. Any TT car is allowed to attend, provided they register.

Todd asked if he could set up a booth there. In a business sense, it wouldn't make sense to allow a competitor to set up a booth for selling and advertising, especially if we sell to the same market.

The original intent of this show was as an appreciation for all of our customers, past even the Scion community. We're all about REAL track proven-performance, which is why we don't sell LED mods or anything flashy. We have Kaminari as our only body kit manufacturer. Most of our guys can't actually use the mods they buy from us on a track. It's dangerous to use it on the street. We made this with those people in mind and figured our customers are not alone.

We do not endorse or recommend testing and using some product on the street, for it doesn't obide with the law, and isn't safe for the general public. What better way to show our concern for the street than hold an event that everyone can afford to go! I think when some people start racing on the track for such a good deal, more people will end up going into the more competitive auto-sport world back in their own town.

We also plan on doing this event more than once if it's successful.

Back on topic!

I'm not going to come on here and say our kits are the best, and that anyone elses isn't. What has been said before, and agreed to, is that many kits offer different things. We make a very well rounded kit that's been proven to last for over 40l miles on multiple cars, and with the durability to handle road racing and auto cross. I can not vouche for other manufactures, but I will them do that. I just didn't like the blind comment saying "Mine is the best, there's isn't" with no proof, facts, or specs backing it up.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
And, its my understanding, some of his kits (SIMPLE) are even being installed by dealers for customers who were waiting on the SCs for their xB2s...being installed by dealer means they are backed by the warranty especially since the dealer is offering the trade-off...NOW THATS IMPRESSIVE.

Not sure exactly, i was talking to Todd when half asleep, he would be better equipped to answer that question...i was sitting there for about 15 min tryin to think of the dealership(s) when typing the post

Just disregard till he posts
Old 04-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

We have several dealerships around the country doing the same thing and it has been this way for about 1-2 years now.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mightygnu
Just to play devils advocate, you can fully customize a Dezod kit as well.

Choice of Engine Management
Choice of Turbo Size
Choice of SS or Aluminum Intercooler
Choice of Intercooler Size
Choice of Injectors Size be it 550 or larger

The list goes on and on, its all about what the user wants. I talked hours, no probably Days with Paul_Dezod on what I wanted when I ordered my kit. You can customize any kit, just have to pony up the dollar bills!
Correct. We have offered many different options to our kits. We are streamlining many things to help make the kit more affordable. Those who want a more unique kit can still do so, but we will not being doing it free of charge.

We have a lot of different PnP injectors, materials, and electronics to work with. We even have a kit that passes smog tests in most states! The kit with a catalytic converter will be discontinued though. Almost no one buys that kit.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Default Re: who makes the best turbo kit??

Originally Posted by brett561tc
:D
x2
Old 04-14-2008, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Going Custom is the Best kit...
Old 04-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

The kit with a catalytic converter will be discontinued though. Almost no one buys that kit.
I am not sure if we are going to discontinue it, just make it a special order. I recently sold like 5 kits in the last 2-3 weeks with that downpipe.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ i was gonna order that catted dp if i got yours.. really my decision when i ordered was a toss coin lol i think its a nice option

Quick Reply: who makes the best turbo kit??