Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

why go to a t3 or bigger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default why go to a t3 or bigger?

I have a one off 16g turbo setup that I was going to get rid of, but after talking to performance turbochargers in san bernardino to, they said that a big 16g is effective up to 20 pounds of boost on 2.5" piping, which is pretty much the norm for the tc platform. So my question is, what are the benefits with going on a larger turbo on my setup? Besides the negitive will be I will have to deal with more lag then I get tight now. Any input would be great

Troy
Old 04-21-2009, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

u'd get more power for the same PSI?
Old 04-21-2009, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

correct dk.....you be getting more power at the same boost level....its just easier that way...if your wanting 300 plus go with a garret or precision....my opinion anyway
Old 04-21-2009, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

16g is a pretty small turbo.. i think greddy uses that for their turbo kits... but go with a T25 or T28 =)
Old 04-21-2009, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Wrong.....ON a 16G, I was seeing the same hp at same PSI settings as most of the larger turbines. Unless it was something REALLY different like the GT30r or bigger. But in comparison to like the Dezod turbos like in the S1 or even the T.E.A turbo, all it did was move the power band further up. The 16G's power band was further down low, providing the low end punch that you didn't get out of the larger ones. So, there was no immediate benefit as they canceled themselves out.

On one hand you had a low end punch (16G), on the other you had a higher top end pull (bigger turbo).....in the end, the cars meet within a headlight of each other at the finish line. But it's harder to play catchup than it is to stay in front.

That's the reason I stayed away from the larger turbos for so long, because I made the same power, and out spooled them. GREAT combo for the streets.

So, if you go with a larger turbine, then go Dual Ball Bearing and get a 3 inch exhaust so it will breathe. This combo I come to believe that will give you that sudden low end rush/spool that you would get out of small turbo like the 16G, but give you the big numbers and top end also.

If we are just talking about a Journal turbo, then don't go to big. 20G turbo was a sweet killer also.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dkfung88
16g is a pretty small turbo.. i think greddy uses that for their turbo kits... but go with a T25 or T28 =)

T25 is smaller than a Big Evo III 16G.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

As always, when I have a question, travis comes in to lavy it down! You rock man! So how much better was the power band off the 20g vs. The 16g?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Wrong.....ON a 16G, I was seeing the same hp at same PSI settings as most of the larger turbines.
okay then what'd you make on the 11psi range? just know i'm preparing to throw a BS flag at you travis.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Like what travis said 16g will make a good punch on the lower end and it doesnt make a lot of different as with bigger turbine, as the powerband goes up the the bigger turbine like t3 will be giving more while the 16g starts to make less, since many are running mild boost from like 6-9psi the difference is not gonna be like day or night if the 16g is well configured, a 2.5 piping on a 16g is like an overkill though, its better stay with a 2.25 IC on a smaller turbine.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Syldrin
Wrong.....ON a 16G, I was seeing the same hp at same PSI settings as most of the larger turbines.
okay then what'd you make on the 11psi range? just know i'm preparing to throw a BS flag at you travis.

I didn't dyno at 11, I was on 12psi. Only dynoed at 7psi. On 7lbs put down 250whp/260wtq. My boy with the Dezod T.E.A kit put down 240ishwhp on the same dyno at 8psi.

I never get the BS flag waved at me....cause I usually have data behind what I say. Want to see video of a 20G vs two 57 (twice as big) trim turbos? No Brake boosting, just mashing the gas to see who wins.... (and my 20G wasn't even at peak performance, the seals were blown on it).
Old 04-21-2009, 10:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Troys_tc
As always, when I have a question, travis comes in to lavy it down! You rock man! So how much better was the power band off the 20g vs. The 16g?

By my "feel" of the car, it was as if the 20G spooled about 200-300rpms slower, but it did not fall off as bad as the 16G did at the upper RPM's. Gained more top end with it. Enough to out spool some bigger 57trim turbos, and hold them off long enough to win.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
Like what travis said 16g will make a good punch on the lower end and it doesnt make a lot of different as with bigger turbine, as the powerband goes up the the bigger turbine like t3 will be giving more while the 16g starts to make less, since many are running mild boost from like 6-9psi the difference is not gonna be like day or night if the 16g is well configured, a 2.5 piping on a 16g is like an overkill though, its better stay with a 2.25 IC on a smaller turbine.

2.5 on the 16G for me. Back pressure is not a necessity due to size of the turbo. Every turbo can always use better breathing.

But yes 6-9psi, there is no point in upgrading to a larger turbo. If we are talking 12-20 then yes. BUT as mentioned, only big turbos I would vote for are Dual BB ones and having an EL manifold + 3 inch exhaust will give you back that "feeling" of a quick spool that you will miss when you were on the 16G.

When I rode in the PTuning TA car, I was expecting to feel it lag more....nope. Felt it spooled just as fast as my 20G did. That's when I was hooked.

But when I rode in my boy Preston's car who was running the Dezod T.E.A kit with a 2.5 inch exhaust system....I fell asleep before he hit boost. And it was so linear that it felt like a cat scratching my back when the power came on (this was at 8 PSI). Unlike the 16G at 8 PSI, when I rolled into it, I felt like someone slapped me in the chest from the immediate slam of boost you get.

Comparing that to PTuning's TA car though....that car is like sucking you through a Black Hole and traveling backwards in time.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Preston, Vinny, and I all three raced, and as I mentioned above, the power band canceled each other out. I had the faster spool that instantly put a car or so on the both of them and that is with a badly blown seals 20G turbo. Preston though because he actually had a Ball Bearing turbo was able to catch back up to me, but not until 120mph could he pull up beside me. No low end, but better top end due to size. Vinny on the other hand, did not have a Ball bearing turbo, and would/could not catch me.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

2.5 on the 16G for me. Back pressure is not a necessity due to size of the turbo. Every turbo can always use better breathing.
the 2.5 i mentioned is for the intercooler pipe, i would still put a 3" exhaust on a 16g
Old 04-21-2009, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

60-1 :D
Old 04-21-2009, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

the 2.5 i mentioned is for the intercooler pipe, i would still put a 3" exhaust on a 16g

Oh...yeah yeah, gotcha. The ZPI kits ran 2.0 hot side, 2.5 cold, and 2.5 intake.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Guys..

When you have two different turbos, let's say we keep the example of a 16g and compare with let's say a 50-54trim T04E/T3, they both can potentially make the same power at the same psi if you're in an efficiency range where both turbos have similar efficiencies.

The advantage of a larger turbo would generally be cooler air out of the compressor, because a smaller turbo generally has to spin faster to create the same amount of boost and airflow.

If I had a built motor, and did a lot of racing with lots of turns and less straights, I would opt for something like a GT2876 with a larger exhaust housing. Sick spool and plenty of turbo to make about 400whp with supporting mods (read: ported heads, efficient intake mani, cams, etc).
Old 04-21-2009, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The greedy kit is a 18G. And I don't have any lag! Spools quick for me!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Default Re: why go to a t3 or bigger?

Originally Posted by Troys_tc
I have a one off 16g turbo setup that I was going to get rid of, but after talking to performance turbochargers in san bernardino to, they said that a big 16g is effective up to 20 pounds of boost on 2.5" piping, which is pretty much the norm for the tc platform. So my question is, what are the benefits with going on a larger turbo on my setup? Besides the negitive will be I will have to deal with more lag then I get tight now. Any input would be great

Troy
Flow rates, power potential and compressor effeciency all make the T3 and T3/T4 turbocharger family an excellent choice for the 2.4L 2AZFE. This engine has a decent bore a lot of stroke. It is not a 1.5 or 1.8 or even a 2.0L. It's a 2.4L
Old 04-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

When I rode in the PTuning TA car, I was expecting to feel it lag more....nope. Felt it spooled just as fast as my 20G did. That's when I was hooked.

But when I rode in my boy Preston's car who was running the Dezod T.E.A kit with a 2.5 inch exhaust system....I fell asleep before he hit boost. And it was so linear that it felt like a cat scratching my back when the power came on (this was at 8 PSI). Unlike the 16G at 8 PSI, when I rolled into it, I felt like someone slapped me in the chest from the immediate slam of boost you get.

Comparing that to PTuning's TA car though....that car is like sucking you through a Black Hole and traveling backwards in time.
How can you even compare a street car that makes 250whp to a race car that makes 500+whp!

That's just too funny.

Quick Reply: why go to a t3 or bigger?