Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

why go to a t3 or bigger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

nevermind
Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

When I rode in the PTuning TA car, I was expecting to feel it lag more....nope. Felt it spooled just as fast as my 20G did. That's when I was hooked.

But when I rode in my boy Preston's car who was running the Dezod T.E.A kit with a 2.5 inch exhaust system....I fell asleep before he hit boost. And it was so linear that it felt like a cat scratching my back when the power came on (this was at 8 PSI). Unlike the 16G at 8 PSI, when I rolled into it, I felt like someone slapped me in the chest from the immediate slam of boost you get.

Comparing that to PTuning's TA car though....that car is like sucking you through a Black Hole and traveling backwards in time.
How can you even compare a street car that makes 250whp to a race car that makes 500+whp!

That's just too funny.

Back atcha, cause when I rode in it, it was on a stock motor and not making 500+whp....
Old 04-22-2009, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ ok it was making 380 lol.. still a diff
Old 04-22-2009, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i make 361! And let me tell you.. It feels pretty instant! I would never ever ever ever go down to a t25 style little winnie baby turbo
Old 04-22-2009, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
Originally Posted by ElevationTC
i make 361! And let me tell you.. It feels pretty instant! I would never ever ever ever go down to a t25 style little winnie baby turbo

That's my point. I say go bigger if you got the 3 inch exhaust, EL manifold to compliment it. Which in both cases PTuning tC/Elevation, they do have that. But we are talking a Log style manifold for a normal docile (if there is such a thing as a 300whp docile tC), tC here. No sense of having a big turbo that's getting choked by a 2.5 inch exhaust and a log manifold and only pushing 10lbs of boost.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

That's my point. I say go bigger if you got the 3 inch exhaust, EL manifold to compliment it. Which in both cases PTuning tC/Elevation, they do have that. But we are talking a Log style manifold for a normal docile (if there is such a thing as a 300whp docile tC), tC here. No sense of having a big turbo that's getting choked by a 2.5 inch exhaust and a log manifold and only pushing 10lbs of boost.
yes ther is...makes you upgrade to that 3inch exhaust, El manifold, standalone, return fuel system, fuel pump, bahhhh you get the point
Old 04-22-2009, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by paul_dezod

When I rode in the PTuning TA car, I was expecting to feel it lag more....nope. Felt it spooled just as fast as my 20G did. That's when I was hooked.

But when I rode in my boy Preston's car who was running the Dezod T.E.A kit with a 2.5 inch exhaust system....I fell asleep before he hit boost. And it was so linear that it felt like a cat scratching my back when the power came on (this was at 8 PSI). Unlike the 16G at 8 PSI, when I rolled into it, I felt like someone slapped me in the chest from the immediate slam of boost you get.

Comparing that to PTuning's TA car though....that car is like sucking you through a Black Hole and traveling backwards in time.
How can you even compare a street car that makes 250whp to a race car that makes 500+whp!

That's just too funny.
but thats my point, my tc is my daily driver, as it is for most people who opt for turboing there tc. I have basicaly come to the conclusion that 300ish whp is totally fine with me, being that it is a daily driver. maybe if I had a this as my weekend car I would go for the huge turbo, but I think a 16g is a great daily driver turbo, and has just as much room as a t3/t4 to upgrade
Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

O yes. i would not bolt a big turbo on a cast manifold with 2.5 turbo back..
Old 04-22-2009, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Troys,

Yes a Big 16G should be able to get your 300whp.. I would do the following though... get the exhaust housing ported out.. get the exhaust wheel's blades clipped moderately. Be prepared to run a little more psi to get 300whp though.. I would guess around 11-12psi with those mods and a good tune.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

O yes. i would not bolt a big turbo on a cast manifold with 2.5 turbo back..
That's essentially a T'netics kit. Cast manifold with a T04E/T3 turbo and I've seen people with 2.5" exhaust get about 250-260whp at 9psi. I got about 272whp with a 3" but on the ultra-conservative Unichip tune.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Syldrin
Wrong.....ON a 16G, I was seeing the same hp at same PSI settings as most of the larger turbines.
okay then what'd you make on the 11psi range? just know i'm preparing to throw a BS flag at you travis.

I didn't dyno at 11, I was on 12psi. Only dynoed at 7psi. On 7lbs put down 250whp/260wtq. My boy with the Dezod T.E.A kit put down 240ishwhp on the same dyno at 8psi.

I never get the BS flag waved at me....cause I usually have data behind what I say. Want to see video of a 20G vs two 57 (twice as big) trim turbos? No Brake boosting, just mashing the gas to see who wins.... (and my 20G wasn't even at peak performance, the seals were blown on it).
Okay what was your power number on 12 psi? because on 6psi i did 280whp/287tq.

I'm subscribed to your you tube so if you put it on there i've seen it. if its not on your youtube then i say this. travis ofcourse i would like to see your video wtf kind of question is that?
Old 04-22-2009, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

But we are talking a Log style manifold for a normal docile (if there is such a thing as a 300whp docile tC), tC here. No sense of having a big turbo that's getting choked by a 2.5 inch exhaust and a log manifold and only pushing 10lbs of boost.
i run a log mani on 11psi making almost 330whp
Old 04-22-2009, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002

yes ther is...makes you upgrade to that 3inch exhaust, El manifold, standalone, return fuel system, fuel pump, bahhhh you get the point

lol...
Old 04-22-2009, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Wrong.....ON a 16G, I was seeing the same hp at same PSI settings as most of the larger turbines.
okay then what'd you make on the 11psi range? just know i'm preparing to throw a BS flag at you travis.

I didn't dyno at 11, I was on 12psi. Only dynoed at 7psi. On 7lbs put down 250whp/260wtq. My boy with the Dezod T.E.A kit put down 240ishwhp on the same dyno at 8psi.

I never get the BS flag waved at me....cause I usually have data behind what I say. Want to see video of a 20G vs two 57 (twice as big) trim turbos? No Brake boosting, just mashing the gas to see who wins.... (and my 20G wasn't even at peak performance, the seals were blown on it).

I'm subscribed to your you tube so if you put it on there i've seen it. if its not on your youtube then i say this. travis ofcourse i would like to see your video wtf kind of question is that?

Never dynoed at 12 psi.

But this is a 12 PSI pull on the 20G:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7PzQ...e=channel_page

I was never into dyno numbers, they don't get you down the track any faster...
Old 04-22-2009, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

But we are talking a Log style manifold for a normal docile (if there is such a thing as a 300whp docile tC), tC here. No sense of having a big turbo that's getting choked by a 2.5 inch exhaust and a log manifold and only pushing 10lbs of boost.
i run a log mani on 11psi making almost 330whp

And it would be even more on an EL and 3 inch exhaust.

Do you have any examples of how your 330whp @ 11 PSI performs? Did you post a dyno sheet somewhere, how did I miss this?
Old 04-22-2009, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

ya i got a dyno sheet..... i already am running a ptuning exhaust tho.... 255lph pump and 700cc injectors... where have you been?

i can give you comparisions all day long of cars and bikes i've raced but without vids to back them up ppl would throw BS flags at me.

one example is a 309whp evo on a superflo dyno. him and i race every now and again.

and various 600 motorcycles. keep in mind before ppl call me a liar on this one. i live in CO and 600's are dogs at this altitude.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Never dynoed at 12 psi.

yes i felt the need to quote this whole thing. anyways the point to my ranting is a t3/t4 is a .60trim .82A/R is the best turbo ever for..... okay its just better then the 16G. When i hit boost before i got used to it. i felt like somone was stepping on my chest. my best buddie said he had to fight to keep his head off the headrest.... i dunno why he didnt just let it hit the headrest.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

ya i got a dyno sheet..... i already am running a ptuning exhaust tho.... 255lph pump and 700cc injectors... where have you been?

i can give you comparisions all day long of cars and bikes i've raced but without vids to back them up ppl would throw BS flags at me.

one example is a 309whp evo on a superflo dyno. him and i race every now and again.

and various 600 motorcycles. keep in mind before ppl call me a liar on this one. i live in CO and 600's are dogs at this altitude.

Man, working on my Time Attack project...my bad... I believe you. I know some people might call BS on me when I have said some of my crew and I have raced 400whp cars and beaten them.

Last race was my boy with the Dezod T.E.A kit racing a Procharged (380whp) 350z. He was on 10-11lbs of boost, and beat the Z by a car.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Never dynoed at 12 psi.

yes i felt the need to quote this whole thing. anyways the point to my ranting is a t3/t4 is a .60trim .82A/R is the best turbo ever for..... okay its just better then the 16G. When i hit boost before i got used to it. i felt like somone was stepping on my chest. my best buddie said he had to fight to keep his head off the headrest.... i dunno why he didnt just let it hit the headrest.

You also have a 3 inch exhaust which I is going to help you in the power and spool department. I know some people say they spool instantly and what not, but you can't change the laws of physics. If some people think they spool instantly on some of the larger turbos when they are running a 2.5 inch exhaust and a log manifold, then they would think a 16G equipped tC was practically always in boost....lol. It's just a drastic difference in spool with that turbo. To remedy this with a larger turbo like I said, you should have a 3 inch exhaust and EL manifold with a Ball Bearing turbo.

Because I have 2step launch control and have ridden in the PTuning TA car and felt how it performs with the GT3076r, I'mno longer an ANTI-large turbo for the street guy. I say go larger if you got the supporting mods. But if your still on the 2.5 exhaust and log mani....keep it in the fast spooling department with a smaller turbine.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Instant spool my ___! i don't spool until 3300. thats not instant when you compare how long it takes to go from 0-3300 vs how long it takes to go from 3300 - 6300. ya i have lag, but i've killed many many cars up here with my turbo.

Quick Reply: why go to a t3 or bigger?