Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Wierd Noise and/or vibration from supercharger????

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Default Wierd Noise and/or vibration from supercharger????

Hello everyone, I have a situation and any replies will help. About 2 weeks ago a weird noise would come from the pulley area on the TRD Supercharger. It sounds like the "Predator" as my friend pointed out or a frog croak. There is a vibration as well and this occurs every other second but it is loud and nasty sounding when the car is warming up. It goes away after a little but usually comes back. Now I recieved my ZPI pulleys and I wanted to know if anyone has experienced this. The mechanics here checked it out and it seemed fine to them but I KNOW that sound is not normal. Now the Supercharger performs fine but the sound only occurs at idle. Any suggestions???
Old 12-28-2005, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

QUICK ADD.... The ZPI pulleys are NOT on right now. Wanted to find out problem before I tamper with the pulleys.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is this at idle or throughout acceleration?

I get a 'gargle' at idle. That is normal.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Hey where exactly is your noise coming from , I have a similar one and it only happens during idle and i agree it is a horrible sound. Mine is in the engine bay behind where the CAI is installed.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I get a nasty buzzing noise coming through my drivers side front vent...its a really annoying vibration and it gets amplified as its coming through the vent...it drives me crazy...only started happening after I put the supercharger on.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quote from the TRD Supercharger Warranty Certificate:

"Like all high performance supercharger systems, the TRD Supercharger incorporates gears and other components that will emit a certain amount of noise. This will exhibit itself as a slightly different sound at idle and under acceleration when compared to an unmodified vehicle. These noises are normal and do not indicate a malfunction of the supercharger and will not shorten its service life."

We've tested it out on one of our units. Noise is hardly there, but the power is.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member

I am having the same issue at idle. I read what was considered normal but it is really amplified at 3500 rpm. Sounds like its gonna break...
Old 12-28-2005, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member

I am having the same issue at idle. I read what was considered normal but it is really amplified at 3500 rpm. Sounds like its gonna break...
Old 12-28-2005, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

naa...for me its just another annoying tC rattle...its not coming from the supercharger itself, but more like something in the dash just rattleing now from the extra vibrations from the blower
Old 12-28-2005, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same problem... When i first start my car in the AM i hear a nasty rattle. Sounds like the exhaust is rubbing on something..but its not. I opened the hood and noticed the tensioner was bouncing around. So im not 100% sure if thats the problem. But its related to the pulley area. Im gonna try to look into it this weekend. Hopefully ill have some sort of answer for you guys.. Scott
Old 12-28-2005, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

On my tC it actually goes away when I get to around 3500 rpm but MAN it sounds ghetto at idle. I mean even techs from my work would say that doesnt sound healthy at all. Its coming from the pulley area. Its a vibration and sound that occurs every other second and repeats. Sounds like the "predator" as my friend pointed out.

As for the TRD disclaimer I am well aware of it... its just I KNOW that sound should be considered normal. Not trying to sound pist-off. Just upset because I went the Supercharger route for dependability.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
I get a nasty buzzing noise coming through my drivers side front vent...its a really annoying vibration and it gets amplified as its coming through the vent...it drives me crazy...only started happening after I put the supercharger on.
I get the same buzz at certain RPM. It is annoying and it started when I got the S/C installed.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

OK UPDATE!!!! Now after one of the techs here at my work looked over it with a keen eye and it turns out the reason for the awkward "predator" noise was because of a bad belt. It apparently had uneven wear so it will be replaced. Now at the same time my boost pulley and Crank pulley (hopefully gets here soon from ZPI) will go in. Problem solved.... hopefully!

Another question as well which BPV is recommended? I heard good things about the bosch 110 but wondering if its worth the money?? OR if there is other contenders????
Old 01-04-2006, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member

Uneven wear? Did they say how or why? I wouldnt see why you would have uneven wear unless something was way off???
Old 01-04-2006, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed my Bosch 110 a week ago and I really dont notice a difference. I've heard a lot of good about it so I'm kind of disappointed.