Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Would a Turbo TC beat a Eclipse GST???

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by OuterHeaven
I have an AWD turbo DSM. I drive both that and my turbo'ed tC all the time and I say my tC with only 6 psi is much faster overall but it the AWD launches much better (obviously). For the street tires I would say that an AWD will be a much better platform then RWD in the end.
Thats the answer I was looking for. Can you list your mods for both vehicles? How much faster do you think it is?
Old 02-03-2007, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

*** Edit*** this was aimed at the post above yours turbo.. not at what you were discussing . I was just slow on the post

It is NOT a sports car. Sure, you can make it fast. I can get a camry, build it up and dump money into it and make it go fast and straight. That does not equal a sports car. A sports car is built around fucntion slightly over form. The better sport setup is chosen and the car is built around it. That is why a porche, lotus, vette, etc runs rwd. A car built around economy (FWD) and then sported out is just a modded car. Giong fast in a straight line a sports car doesnt make. It is the whole setup. Great example, I went to college with a guy that owned an NA chevy pickup that would make most of you cry at that track. Now, is it a "sports car" ?

And a 1000 HP 4 banger is a RACE car. There is so much into that car that it no longer even can be truly called the same car. The Rado tC is NOT a tC.

FWD is the worst setup out of the three for "sport" driving. So that kinda goes against the principle of the car being built for real performance.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

so how about toyota using the camry for their new nascar cars? haha.....i mean they took that 'soccer mom" car, and turned it into a beast....plus, why did you get the tC if you love rwd cars.....
Old 02-03-2007, 08:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattvs
Actually they both Dyno around 280awhp +/- factory stock. So I don't know where you getting your 230-240whp figure?
Naw, he was pretty accurate in his post. All of the baseline 2006 STI dynosheets I've seen were around 230awhp. The VIII's are about the same, maybe a smidge higher.

The IX's are beasts though and can hit 240-250awhp. I haven't seen much of what the 07 STIs are doing. I've heard they're fairly close to the IXs and are reacting almost as good to BPU's.
bwah, ya you guys got me on that one. I re-checked and you guys are correct. Mag I was reading was showing Evo's and STi's with bolt-ons.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You can call me a lier but Ive yet to be beaten by a stock Evo VIII or STI. I Havent come across a Evo IX yet. My next door nieghboor has a 05 STI and he drove my car and he even said I would spank him. Again, he's stock though.

Want proof that a Turbo tC with stock internals can beat a STI in the 1320 too....here ya go.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...eoID=632483811
Old 02-03-2007, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer
*** Edit*** this was aimed at the post above yours turbo.. not at what you were discussing . I was just slow on the post

It is NOT a sports car. Sure, you can make it fast. I can get a camry, build it up and dump money into it and make it go fast and straight. That does not equal a sports car. A sports car is built around fucntion slightly over form. The better sport setup is chosen and the car is built around it. That is why a porche, lotus, vette, etc runs rwd. A car built around economy (FWD) and then sported out is just a modded car. Giong fast in a straight line a sports car doesnt make. It is the whole setup. Great example, I went to college with a guy that owned an NA chevy pickup that would make most of you cry at that track. Now, is it a "sports car" ?

And a 1000 HP 4 banger is a RACE car. There is so much into that car that it no longer even can be truly called the same car. The Rado tC is NOT a tC.

FWD is the worst setup out of the three for "sport" driving. So that kinda goes against the principle of the car being built for real performance.
Now that I think about it what your saying is actually sinking in. FWD cars such as the tC are not a true sports car but a imitation. Its a fun car that gets 30 MPG and only cost $16,000. They built this car around the economy side, all FWD are. If they wanted to make it a true sports car it would be RWD or AWD. Almost all FWD cars are economy first, sporty looking second. But I still think the Eclipse GST is an exception as it does have the EVOs sport engine just different drive train. Yea its FWD but its also lighter, also it comes turbocharged. Not a true sports car but still a sports car.

yamaha16bw, what mods do you have?
Old 02-03-2007, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
You can call me a lier but Ive yet to be beaten by a stock Evo VIII or STI. I Havent come across a Evo IX yet. My next door nieghboor has a 05 STI and he drove my car and he even said I would spank him. Again, he's stock though.

Want proof that a Turbo tC with stock internals can beat a STI in the 1320 too....here ya go.

nope, no one should be calling you a liar. look at your mods :D
Old 02-03-2007, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by malibuboy54
so how about toyota using the camry for their new nascar cars? haha.....i mean they took that 'soccer mom" car, and turned it into a beast....plus, why did you get the tC if you love rwd cars.....
They didnt take a camry and turn it into anything. They build a tube frame and slapped a sheet metal almost, kinda, look like a camry body on it.

I love the tC, and I never said I hated FWD cars. But if I were out to buy a "sports" car, I would actually look for a sports car, not a fwd 4 banger. If you read my posts, I also said that I even like modding them. I never bashed anyone for modding them. But there is a very big line between sports car and the little boosted fwd's you see on the road.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL....this post is funny.....i think the bottom line is....how much you are going to spend....you can take a KIA....and make it fast if your going to spend the money....i got the tC....i throw the turbo on with stock internals on 12psi i had some nice numbers now its in the shop getting then engine rebuild and bigger turbo....again if u are going to spend the money u can make any car fast
Old 02-03-2007, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DaGreat1
if u are going to spend the money u can make any car fast
I tell people that all the time and it's true.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jlaznlover
Originally Posted by yamaha16bw

nope, no one should be calling you a liar. look at your mods :D

I do agree with the fact the RWD and AWD cars will perform better overall in racing conditions. The thing I love about my car is the "WTF" factor I get. Its one thing to own a car that everyone knows will beat them. Its totally different when they dont expect it.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Default Re: hmm

Originally Posted by capscion
wow.... saying that a front wheel drive 4-cyl is not a sports car is probably one of the most rediculous things I have ever heard. I guess you have never been to a 1/4 mile track and watcha 4-cyl knock out a 7 sec 1/4 mile. Maybe you like the feel of the rear wheel drive better (as do I), but I have seen many a RWD V8 get its doors blown off by a little ricer 4-cyl. I think you confuse your preferance for reality. Obviously insurance company's would disagree with you as well. Since there are many 4-cyl FWD cars that are classified as sports cars. Its all abou the mods and the driver. HAVE NONE OF YOU HEARD OF A 4-CYL PUSHING OVER 1000 HP?? If thats not a sports car I don'tknow what is............................... And neither do the rest of ya
But what does the usable powerband on that 1000HP 4 cylinder motor look like?

Lag, lag, lag, lag, lag, lag, lag.....BOOST.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well... by buddy had a 400HP 302 powered pinto station wagon in high school. Would blow away a ton of other cars in a straight line. So I guess Pinto station wagons can now be called "sports cars"

Good point as well captain. Just because someone can completely rebuild a car into something else doesnt make it a "sports car"
Old 02-04-2007, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with engifneer here....just becuase the car has alot of HP doesnt matter the car a sports car...... a sports car is 350z...corvette...etc....what hes trying 2 say is just beucae you car has turbo or you modded it doesnt make it a sports car....you just had a car thats modded to be fast....
Old 02-04-2007, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The funny thing Toyota/Scion call the tC a sport coupe.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

There is definitely a difference between sport coupe, sport compact and sports car. Nowadays, if it is sporty looking or even has mildly decent handling and is a coupe or compact it is a sport compact/sport coupe. In other words, it is a sporty looking coupe. A sports car, however, should be designed from the start around being a sports car.