Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Your Favorite Wastegate...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Your Favorite Wastegate...

This is for those of you who built your own setup - im currently using an internal gate and i hate it so im going to switch to an external 38mm (my manifold has the plate just i have a block over it right now) So ive looked at tial, turbonetics, and now turbo concepts (the ones it appears zpi used to use) the turbo concept seems to be the best bang for the buck at around $200 shipped with my choice of spring - anyone else have any suggestions on a good wg for a decent price?
Old 09-10-2008, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think tials are $220 shipped. I bought a tial for my DA integra. And, when i did mine this time for the tC, guess what I bought TiAL. i just like to get a trusted brand. But, all the above you suggested are good and will work perfectly for you.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea thats what im kinda thinkin - only nice thing about the turbonetics is it comes with 3 springs and a ton of shims so basically you can make it whatever spring you want in it and avoid having to get an mbc
Old 09-10-2008, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You won't go wrong with any of those wastegates. Just get the one that's more affordable... they all do the same thing and have about the same reliability.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbo Concepts. I had Tial BOV and wastegate and had problems with the wastegate creeping and the BOV surging. Relaced both, and both problems solved. Tial is good quality but just didn't work that well for my particular setup. Turbo Concepts is cheaper and quality is every bit as good. Still made in the USA unlike many other brands out there.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I wish I had the purple one .
Old 09-10-2008, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Guru
Turbo Concepts. I had Tial BOV and wastegate and had problems with the wastegate creeping and the BOV surging. Relaced both, and both problems solved. Tial is good quality but just didn't work that well for my particular setup. Turbo Concepts is cheaper and quality is every bit as good. Still made in the USA unlike many other brands out there.
im creeping too with my tial 38mm wg, im curious why it tial does that i dont think i need a bigger one.. im not even on high boost. i wonder if turbo concepts can solve that.. but im looking at synapse wastegate too, any one have experience with that?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

TIAL. Proven and very trustworthy. We have been using their products forever now. On Porsches, Vipers, tCs, STis, Civics etc.....
Old 09-10-2008, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Anyone wanna trade a 38mm silver TiAL .4bar for a 38mm purple TiAL .4 bar?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most of the time, wastegate creep is due to location of the wastegate, and usually the manifold design. I'm not sure which issues you're having Ace, since Meaty's boost graph looks pretty consistent. You might be able to eliminate your creep with boost controller settings.

I'm not sure which issues Guru had, but maybe it was his particular manifold design didn't agree with the TiAL.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Guru
Wouldn't touch the brand with a ten foot poll. I tuned a customer with a ZPI kit that had one of those wastegates in it and I touched the wastegate with my hand the gate fell into 3 pieces.

The surge was probably from too aggressive of a BOV spring. TiAL offers 4 spring pressures for the BOV alone. It is referenced to how much VAC you pull at idle.

The WG creeping could be a multitude of issues that could have caused that: boost controller being too aggressive, turbine being too small, manifold design etc...
Old 09-10-2008, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
Most of the time, wastegate creep is due to location of the wastegate, and usually the manifold design. I'm not sure which issues you're having Ace, since Meaty's boost graph looks pretty consistent. You might be able to eliminate your creep with boost controller settings.

I'm not sure which issues Guru had, but maybe it was his particular manifold design didn't agree with the TiAL.
I agree with manifold design could cause it but the wastegate seem pretty well positioned on the collector.. it could be my boost controller or my solenoid, but usually it creeps about 1-2 psi higher on the top end 5-6.5K rpms, the reason why i dont want to set my boost to 10 psi coz it will creep to 11.7 towards the end lol
Old 09-10-2008, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try playing with the gain settings if you have any.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've never had any issues with my Tial...my boost creep was from an improperly installed spring which pinched the diaphram...I would not touch Turbo Concepts...I've seen a couple and they just don't look quality.

What about the synapse?
Old 09-10-2008, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Anyone wanna trade a 38mm silver TiAL .4bar for a 38mm purple TiAL .4 bar?
you want a tial wastegate barney edition huh..
Old 09-10-2008, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea just looked at the synapse looks really BA and only like $250 it says multiple settings out of the box, is it like the t-netics and has multiple springs and shims to create basically any setting you want or is it different?

**EDIT** Just found a Synapse for sale on ebay for $230 so it looks like i may look at going that route just wunna find out first what method is used to allow variable settings.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They have 3 or so (i forget) wastegate vac/boost ports. The different combinations of ports is what determines which psi setting it's at.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
They have 3 or so (i forget) wastegate vac/boost ports. The different combinations of ports is what determines which psi setting it's at.
Yeah the Synapse unit is pretty trick for sure. It does allow for multiple boost setting on the same gate with the use of different vac port combinations.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe

I wish I had the purple one .

this would look best on my car hands down lol
Old 09-10-2008, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

It looks awesome on any car, the purple just stands out so much. I'd love to have that plus a purple HKS SSQV .

Quick Reply: Your Favorite Wastegate...