Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Your Favorite Wastegate...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol i would to lol i think im a add this to the build lol
Old 09-10-2008, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Originally Posted by Guru
Turbo Concepts. I had Tial BOV and wastegate and had problems with the wastegate creeping and the BOV surging. Relaced both, and both problems solved. Tial is good quality but just didn't work that well for my particular setup. Turbo Concepts is cheaper and quality is every bit as good. Still made in the USA unlike many other brands out there.
Wouldn't touch the brand with a ten foot poll. I tuned a customer with a ZPI kit that had one of those wastegates in it and I touched the wastegate with my hand the gate fell into 3 pieces.

The surge was probably from too aggressive of a BOV spring. TiAL offers 4 spring pressures for the BOV alone. It is referenced to how much VAC you pull at idle.

The WG creeping could be a multitude of issues that could have caused that: boost controller being too aggressive, turbine being too small, manifold design etc...
I find that astounding. I have beat the crap out of Turbo Concepts wastegates and BOV's and had no problems. Might want to give Nick a call over there about that unit as that sounds very unusual. Yes that is correct the manifold I was using didn't position the WG in the best position but sadly that is the only place it could go. The internal dimensions and shape of the Turbo Concepts wastegate is different and allows for a bit better evacuation of the exhaust thus solving my minor boost creep issue. It is rock solid now and been working great for over a year. The AVCR was turned off so it was definitely not a boost controller issue. As for the BOV yes I tried 2 different springs on the Tial, one caused it to leak at idle and the other caused massive compressor surge. They did not make a spring in between sadly. Installed the Turbo Concepts with standard spring, no leak, no surge, problem solved. Haven't had a problem since and don't expect to even with the new motor.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im using a 48mm Turbosmart Pro-gate and I have had no problems with it at all. Its massive too lol I love how it looks

Although I have not had any real experience with the synapse wastegate, I will be using the synapse on my buddies custom kit that I am building for him. and its only about $240 for the 40 mm wastegate