Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ZPI bad for your car? NO WAY!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 02:53 PM

Default ZPI bad for your car? NO WAY!?

So yesterday me and my friend with his 07 tC, went down to our local toyota dealership because he had free oil changes(they gave him 3 free oil changes after he bought the car). We decided to look at the 08 tCs because he wants to swap his 07 tails for the 08s. I never did like the new look of the 08s but up close they look mean and for some reason wider even though they are not(they are nice...just the top grill is wierd)........Anyways we met some guy that worked at the dealership and he had a tC with headers exhaust intake and ****. Then he said he ordered a dezod turbo. My friend was thinking about the stage 0 kit with extras so of course so we mentioned ZPI to the guy at the dealer. He said that ZPI turbos dont work correctly on tCs and that it messes up your car..... He said its a good company but their turbos dont work well with the tC......lol idk where he got his info...all Ive heard is good things about the stage 0 (minus the cheap gasket) lol

I honestly thought this guy was an idiot
Old 08-18-2007, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well you go order a turbo kit from ZPI and let me know how it works for them....Only way u can get a zpi kit is from somoene selling theres.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Cheap gasket in the stage 0???
Old 08-18-2007, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He's not entirely an idot...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...highlight=zpi/

If I were looking for a turbo right now, I would NOT buy from ZPI. Too much drama at the present time.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Original ZPI is in hiatus right now, don't gte a zpi kit because you may not have full support
Old 08-18-2007, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: ZPI bad for your car? NO WAY!?

Originally Posted by WanTheShadow
So yesterday me and my friend with his 07 tC, went down to our local toyota dealership because he had free oil changes(they gave him 3 free oil changes after he bought the car). We decided to look at the 08 tCs because he wants to swap his 07 tails for the 08s. I never did like the new look of the 08s but up close they look mean and for some reason wider even though they are not(they are nice...just the top grill is wierd)........Anyways we met some guy that worked at the dealership and he had a tC with headers exhaust intake and ****. Then he said he ordered a dezod turbo. My friend was thinking about the stage 0 kit with extras so of course so we mentioned ZPI to the guy at the dealer. He said that ZPI turbos dont work correctly on tCs and that it messes up your car..... He said its a good company but their turbos dont work well with the tC......lol idk where he got his info...all Ive heard is good things about the stage 0 (minus the cheap gasket) lol

I don't get it, is this a sarcastic post? all you have heard is good things about the stage zero?????????? That guy is right about the turbos though, 2 peps in my car club have had numerious problems with they kits and their cars are in the shop a lot. If you want details PM me, I don't want to turn this thread back into a ZPI bashing thread, even though I am against ZPI (which no longer exist anyways).
Old 08-18-2007, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You have to take in to consideration that people are throwing turbos on a non-turbo car. Bound to have some problems, especially if you do it wrong.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whats up with this guy from the dealership?? He says ZPI turbo's don’t work well but the company is good?? I know they did some nice things in the past but really there has always been drama with the company. It’s definitely the other way around. There are more issues with the company then the actual turbo kits.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

The guy at the dealer has got it backwards. The company is what you can't use right now. The turbos themselves, is as good as any other turbo out there. The dealer dude doesn't know what he is talking about.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a stage 0 kit and I have never been happier...If you can get your hands on one id get it
Old 08-18-2007, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
The guy at the dealer has got it backwards. The company is what you can't use right now. The turbos themselves, is as good as any other turbo out there. The dealer dude doesn't know what he is talking about.
Most of the turbo's ZPI sells are used on many different cars and applications. My 20G turbo has a mitsu symbol on it, not ZPI.

So the company is going through a tough time, but the kits are solid
Old 08-18-2007, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: ZPI bad for your car? NO WAY!?

Originally Posted by blown_xa
Originally Posted by WanTheShadow

I don't get it, is this a sarcastic post? all you have heard is good things about the stage zero?????????? That guy is right about the turbos though, 2 peps in my car club have had numerious problems with they kits and their cars are in the shop a lot. If you want details PM me, I don't want to turn this thread back into a ZPI bashing thread, even though I am against ZPI (which no longer exist anyways).

2 people do not represent an entire sub culture of boosted tC's. There is Not 1 single turbo company for the tC that does not have a mishap with a kit, or tC engine. Not one. So, just because 2 people had problems does not dictate that the entire line of turbos are bad. That is not logical. The Stage 0 is solid, been proven countless times. Thing is though....can't get one anymore.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott8
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Most of the turbo's ZPI sells are used on many different cars and applications. My 20G turbo has a mitsu symbol on it, not ZPI.

So the company is going through a tough time, but the kits are solid

Exactly. There is no question of the kits proven ability. The original Poster should point the dealership guy to youtube....
Old 08-18-2007, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Bottom line, if you are looking for a turbo kit that has not ONE goof up in it's history for the tC, then you shouldn't turbo your car. There is Not 1 turbo kit out that has NEVER had a problem on a few peoples cars. Some with more problems than others (GReddy), and some with less problems than others (ZPI).
Old 08-18-2007, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm happy with my ZPI stage 0 errr soon to be stage 1. Everything runs fine and have had no problems aside from my own mistakes.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Add me to the list of stage 0 owners with no problems.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

same here, stage 0...0 problems
Old 08-19-2007, 07:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bcnu_702
I'm happy with my ZPI stage 0 errr soon to be stage 1. Everything runs fine and have had no problems aside from my own mistakes.
Well, except for the fact that you got the wrong Maf on your intake, which you know now you will never get the right one from ZPI, and the fact that that you could not open the wastegate to pull the big spring for the small one, and I've heard of this issue more then a few times with the zpi kit. But other then that, it's running good, huh? You and I should take a run at it!
Old 08-19-2007, 02:23 PM

is it true that ZPI is 100% completely dead now? Ive heard that somewhere...because my friend and I were planning on buying a stage 0 in the near future....Is it impossible to buy one now? And ty to all you boosted stage 0 tC owners, its good to see stage 0s running strong
Old 08-19-2007, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
Originally Posted by bcnu_702
Well, except for the fact that you got the wrong Maf on your intake, which you know now you will never get the right one from ZPI, and the fact that that you could not open the wastegate to pull the big spring for the small one, and I've heard of this issue more then a few times with the zpi kit. But other then that, it's running good, huh? You and I should take a run at it!
When you mean wrong MAF, was it cut wrong on the pipe?

Quick Reply: ZPI bad for your car? NO WAY!?